Houzz Logo Print
webuser_639951367

home for 2 ladies in their 70s

Maureen Connolly
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

My sister and I are thinking of living together instead of having separate homes now that we are in are 70s. I am looking for design ideas that would give us a common space (maybe kitchen, lounge, dining room) and separate spaces (our own room and bathroom facilities and maybe a small nook for a desk or hobby). We would not want a big home but would like to achieve a feeling of a little independence of choice in our own area. We are also thinking that maybe the garage area could contain the laundry/storage area for bulky objects such as suitcases. We would welcome design suggestions

Комментарии: 7

• oklouise

first describe the climate where you want to live and do you already have a block of land?

• Maureen Connolly
    Автор

thank you for coming back to me. We live in Victoria, Australia warm to hot summers and rain and cool winters. I have only just started the journey on this proposed change of lifestyle and haven't as yet looked at land though it would most likely be in a small village/town setting

• me me
    Perhaps you could get a duplex. Complete separate residences but could spend as much time togather as you want.
  • siriuskey

It would so much easier to find a house that could be easily adjusted to accommodate your needs, building a new home is very involved and takes a lot of time

• Maureen Connolly
    Автор

thank you for your input

• PRO
    MRA Ltd
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

How exciting, and a great plan for living independently while releasing some equity to enjoy life and achieve companionship. Co-Living is an idea that is likely to be a solution for many family types as housing costs increase and available land decreases.

I think you are on the right track looking to build what suits you - otherwise someone will be in the second-best spaces in a home not built for sharing. (You'll also be future proofing your build for changing circumstances too). The key will be to include some flexible spaces (particularly with a second living/guest room space plus laundry/storage as you suggest) that will give you the function you need, while providing separate bed/living suites ensuring each of you has your own spaces to decorate and relax in. Spaces don't have to be Big. Start by making a list of what you each need/want, and the things that you are happy to share.