Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Accent Pillows. Chopped or Not?

Jeannie Nguyen
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
Which look do you prefer for your accent pillows? The chopped look or the regular fluffed look?

Cast your vote below and let us know why! If you have photos of your own accent pillows, post them too!
EITHER - I don't really care.

Комментарии: 59

• PRO
    Decor Wood Kitchens Inc.
    We love the natural/ modern look of the non-chopped pillows!
  • Samantha Harvey
    Chopped has always looked (to me) like the pillow is under-stuffed, cheap, and unable to hold its own. The pillows look deflated and I think it adds a deflated sort of unfinished look to the room. Definitely not chopped!
  • PRO
    User
    I much prefer the clean, modern look of non-chopped pillows.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    This is like a theory vs. reality thing.
  • midmodfan
    I prefer a casual look, so I fluff our down-filled pillows every day, but I would never chop them.
  • PRO
    Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
    The chop feels too contrived for my taste. It is sort of like making sure the vacuum cleaner lines are even.....
  • studio10001
    :) Wait. You don't vacuum in even lines?
  • User
    Agree Gail, I was going to say chopped is so contrived....
  • sally78
    It depends--not every situation is the same-- but I lean towards chopping….
  • charleee
    studio, isn't that like mowing randomly?
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    Not in the kitchen.
  • PRO
    Armond | Arquitetura & Construção
    Would you like more inspiration? Why not visit our facebook page?!
    There we share what we do and what we like! www.facebook.com/armondconstrutora :)
  • unwantedadvice
    Right now I karate chop them and it can certainly get the aggression out if needed!
  • rustyand
    on very big pillows maybe a chop, but otherwise no to chop.
  • Joe Wilson
    My wife chops them. Says it's the only way to do it. A biblical mandate of some sort likely. I'm a detail freak about many things, but pillow-chopping seems (sshhh, don't tell you know who) artificial and like an answer to a question that wasn't asked.
  • junipergirl
    For many years the chopped look meant your filling or stuffing was wearing low and you needed to top up. It was the most horrible thing to display said cushions. Showed your terrible home keeping skills and one tried very hard not to embarrass oneself and made sure said cushions were always nice and plump. Now it is a trend? Sheeeesh!
  • hatetoshop
    I randomly chop, fluff and toss -- makes it look like we actually do use our living room sofa and love seat.
  • Martina J.
    Chopped are just more comfortable.. good enough to choose them ..
  • kfiliberto
    Personally...the pillow is too large for this chair so neither chopped nor chopped is appealing.
  • cdcraig
    I prefer non-chop. But anything is better than perched on a corner diamond-style! A friend does this and I have to bite my tongue each time I walk in.
  • PRO
    Jessica Boyer Interior Design
    A good quality pillow fluffed and casually chopped. Unless it's specific, untouched pillows look like cheap foam, regardless of the setting.
  • mmarraccini
    Not chopped. Chopped looks messy...and pretentious!
  • lynnearly
    Pillows are too big for this chair, period.
  • katwald
    Nice and firm for me
  • Kat
    I don't understand chopping. I also don't like a ton of pillows.
  • Denita
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    ^^Agree with Kat. Where do you sit when the pillows take up all the room? On the edge or not at all. :(
  • elisea2
    No one here has cats who 'chop' all pillows, whether or not their slaves agree with the trend?
  • Keerthi Naidu
    I chop! Although people say it's a "staged" look, that's exactly the look I'm going for because, let's be real, I only care what my pillows look like when someone's coming over.
  • lynnearly
    Whatever makes you happy Keerthi :)
  • condomary
    No chop. I used to do that when it became the thing to do. I would say to myself, why am I doing this? Then fluff them.
  • PRO
    Nicely Done Kitchens
    In the photos above, it's nice because the chopping mimics the design of the chair back, behind the pillow. It can also be nice to chop a row of pillows across a large bedspread to add interest to some of the pieces. But overall, it seems a bit trendy.
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    This is just a more cleaner streamlined look

J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida. http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    Either way. I think chopped look too contrived. Can be too formal.
  • pho3nix27
    I never understood why the chop so I never do it. I like my pillows to show their poofy-ness unencumbered.
  • melwishes
    cdcraig - I think the diamond corner thing is from the 80's or 90's - I can't help but do it :)
    No chop.
  • PRO
    Your Story by Design
    This has been fun to read :) ... The high quality down or feather pillows are naturally taking the "chopped" look, so we tend to chop them in a more formal setting for all of them to look similarly chopped. The good quality foam pillows can't be chopped, they stay naturally fluffed. The poor quality foam pillows are flat (I don't think they can be chopped, or fluffed).
  • PRO
    Mise en Place Design
    I personally think "chopping" a pillow looks silly and deliberate and should not be done. And I'm not sure why this is a continued topic. If you like to chop, then chop. If you don't, then don't. There's no rule about this. However, to give my professional opinion, any interior, regardless of decor, needs to feel lived in, welcoming, and immersive in the sense that everything works together. If you sit on a sofa with pillows, you shouldn't feel like you can't touch the pillows. That's defeating the purpose of having the pillows.

This is also true regardless of "quality" or perceived quality. High end pillows shouldn't be heald in higher regard than inexpensive ones in terms of their use. Ornate decorative pillows with something like intricate beading could be an exception here but if we are comparing something like a custom made, hand stuffed pillow versus something poly filled with a store bought cover, the principle is the same. If you have pillows, use them as they were intended: as pillows.
  • Caroline Nelson
    I casually chop my Room and Board pillows. It's far from formal. I just think it is a cleaner look!
  • Caroline
    I've never chopped because I didn't know it existed!! I saw it for the first time on Property Brothers last week. So I guess I'm not a chopper.
  • PRO
    User
    I invite you all to continue this discussion on this week's #DesignLUX chat on Twitter. It's hosted by Brandon Smith of DCOOPMedia at 1 PST, 3CST, 4EST. I'll be the guest host and we'll be pillow talking for an hour. Please join us Thursday, May 15th. See ya there! a
  • Betty Marshall
    DEPENDS ON THE PILLOW -SOME LOOK GOOD CHOPPED SOME BETTER LEFT ALONE
  • PRO
    Drapery and Home Makeover by Carlos Oliveira
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    it's important to know that, cheaper forms (polyfill) do not offer such " option " .... got to be down/feathers in order to " chop " .
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    No to the chop. More important though is the scale of the pillow.
  • Victoria Floyd
    contemporary/not chopped and traditional/chopped
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    For this chair and pillow - chopped - but I also agree with the comment that a toss cushion doesn't belong on this chair!
  • Nancy Dini
    You don't have to go crazy here, but the chop seams to make rooms more inviting , less stringent.
  • Shauna Allen
    Depends on the space and the chair. Must admit though, I enjoy a slight chop!
  • karenegade
    A few years ago someone chopped. Now we're all chopping. I find it silly. Maybe someone will start a different trend ( punching, smushing, double chopping?) & we'll all forget chopping . Too bad design focuses on this silliness.
  • PRO
    Teresa Zilinsky Interior Designs
    I think it depends on the space as well. To me the chopped looks better on the chair you have pictured-making it more casual and not as stiff looking. But in other places fluffed looks more warm and inviting.
  • jerryandsusan

I don't know who started the chop trend but I think it looks messy, like you forgot to fluff the pillows.