Houzz Logo Print
redo35b

How do you feel about vinyl instead of leather on french chairs?

redo35b
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
Originally the chairs were upholstered in suede but I want to give them an updated look to lend a little excitement to a monochromatic room. Thanks

Комментарии: 27

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    Leather or fabric is usually used as these are more comfortable for people sitting on a chair. Vinyl, being a plastic,,doesn't allow breathability so it can get sweaty for a sitter. Also not considered a high or medium end material. Although for fun factor it can work.
  • PRO
    DRTC Studio
    Usually people choose vinyl for durability. If this is the case there are very durable leathers out there and in a wide range of colors that can give you both the comfort of leather and the durability of vinyl. The Spinneybeck "Acqua" Collection is a great example of this:
    http://www.spinneybeck.com/colorbook/ProductColorList.aspx#&&SearchTerm=acqua
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    The chairs are great pieces. I would hate to see them "cheapened" but the use of vinyl. You can get a bit of fun with upholstry material in many many different prints. When I think of vinyl, I think of the split cushions sitting in an out-dated doctor's office.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    Vinyl is an update, but not in the positive sense.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! to vinyl! If you cannot use leather, get nice fabric.
  • User
    I have two words for you: SWEATY, ASS
  • Chem K
    microfibre! Easy to keep clean!
  • PRO
    M Home Style
    one word..cheetah print!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    I call for a recount.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    Since you are using these in a monochromatic space I would go for something with a wow factor, but if the choice is leather or vinyl , leather it is.
  • Delora Dickey
    Ignore all the naysayers about vinyl. As even with leather, there are cheap versions out there. Company loves our "beautiful leather" barstools...that are vinyl.
  • Sigrid
    Vinyl often looks cheap, but it has nothing to do with color. If your room is beige, beige vinyl won't make the room less monochromatic. Pink suede would be as colorful as the same shade of pink vinyl, more comfortable and more elegant.
  • Joanie Young
    The chairs are really beautiful and warrant something special like a beautiful natural linen...I think vinyl would be a mistake.
  • carolannr
    Vinyl may look similar but, as others have pointed out, not conducive to sitting for a while. I don't think its worth the little savings difference and you won't get the softness of the suede. But if you would prefer something other that leather, try a woven tapestry with a muted color palette. I have done similar chairs which have lasted for decades with few signs of wear with a good quality fabric though that could cost as much as the leather. Are the seat cushions original to the chairs? They seem a bit more casual than the chairs themselves, maybe added later for more comfort as these chairs were made for occasional use (company) rather than for everyday comfort.
  • moggie73
    I love those chairs, very classic. How about adding bolster / lumbar pillows in an unexpected fabric or color?
  • Geneviève
    Looking at the body of these chairs I wouldn't use vinyl only real leather or fabric .
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    I would opt for true leather or a fabric. Leather ages beautifully--but you must understand that and appreciate the aging look--or go with fabric. If wear is an issue, select a fabric with a high rub-test rating--there are beautiful textiles that have extraordinary durability.

As for the specific pattern and design, this should be determined as part of the whole--not as a one-off suggestion. It's a process!
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    Do the backs of the chairs in leather. The remaining parts would be Velvet (horsehair style).
    Use leather welting which matches the outside backs to trim the seat cushions.
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    PS The leather can be a shade darker than the solid Velvet.
  • alexandrina
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    (*keeps fingers crossed*) Please no vinyl, please no vinyl, pease save the chairs from the viny fate! Here is something with such a vivacious palette! http://st.houzz.com/fimgs/d2210fbb0e9eda57_0349-w106-h106-b0-p0--eclectic-family-room.jpg
    By some reason the immage does not want to appear...
    Eclectic Family Room by Santa Ana Interior Designers & Decorators Darci Goodman DesignEclectic Family Room by Santa Ana Interior Designers & Decorators Darci Goodman Design
  • PRO
    nls creations, inc.
    First of all the chairs look like they need to be re-stuffed before they are re-upholstered. Please do that when you do the re-upholstering. Secondly, there are many vinyls in todays market that simply do not look like vinyl. In particular, I love the new patent leathers which are very chique. The other consideration is what these chairs are being used for. If these are host and hostess dining chairs the vinyls are more practical to wipe for food spills. The other choice could be one of the poly suedes which are washable and very handsome. Good Luck.
  • druesig
    Beautiful Chairs!!!! And PLEASE no vinyl!!!! Can't afford suede, microfiber would work or a wonderful subtle upholstery fabric and those seat cushions need help...
  • PRO
    Kristina Higgins Design
    Dear God...stay away from vinyl.
  • This is... my last project... Maybe.
    Those chairs look like they can go many ways. If it is ease to keep clean that you are worried about, check out sunbrella indoor outdoor use of fabrics. The vinyl will not work well with the cushions unless you put in vents. Vinyl is not comfortable for sitting on for very long. Your upholsterer can eliminate the nail heads and provide a nice welting. Lots of potential but I don't think the even the metallic vinyls that they are using will catch on just for the reason that they are not that comfy.
  • Laurie Krauss
    No vinyl. There are some very beautiful natural fabrics available. Believe me, if you use vinyl you'll regret it. Ask me how I know ! ;)
  • PRO
    HATFIELD DESIGN STUDIO
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

The chairs need restuffing and I would go with fabric for a more contemporary look. You could even do the back one fabric and the seat a complimentary fabric.