Houzz Logo Print
kpnunez

need help with paint colors for foyer/hall, kitchen/family room

kpnunez
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
An exploding water heater in our attic resulted in us having to paint much of our home. I have tried and tried to come up with a pallet and consulted so many of the different comments from other Houzz users, but I am STUCK. AND, I need to make a decision within 24 hours. Here is our layout:

Our home faces west so we get a lot of morning sun in the kitchen/family room that comprises the back of the house. In the afternoon, we get sun in the two story foyer and hallways. The spaces that need to be painted are contiguous with one another. furnishing and carpets (they are excellent quality persians) stay for now. The sofa will eventually be replaced to something more neutral and kid-friendly. The colors on the walls in the kitchen and familyroom are horendous. I hated them as soon as they went up and I'm using the recent event as an opportunity to put something on there that I like. The current colors on the wall in the kitchen and family room are BM Monroe Bisque (too yellow looking, don't like it) and Shellburne Buff (very mustardy looking...hate it). The foyer and hallway was supposed to be SW Ancient Marble but was matched incorrectly and has more green so it looks a little minty in the sunlight (but I loved it).

My favorite place to be is the beach but I don't want a beach theme. I'd love to lighten up the colors in the back of the house and have tried SW Sea Salt but it almost looks baby blue and doesn't work. I'm all over the place. My gut tells me that I should go neutral and then bring in my favorite colors in accessories or draperies. Incidentally, the persians have almost ever color in them.

I would be most appreciative for any help you can offer in such a short period of time. And you will see from all the paint swatches that I clearly have no thoughts.

Комментарии: 7

• PRO
    HOBNOB design
    You mentioned lightening up the color, but the swatches visible in the photograph all appear rather dark. I would highly recommend starting with the white spectrum, then move down into a color that you like; instead of choosing a color you like and attempting to make it lighter. Your floors and kitchen cabinets have red tones, and an evening sun will also be warm.. You may want to soften and coordinate with a moss color green. I hope that helps, Best, Angela.
    kpnunez поблагодарил(а): HOBNOB design
  • loves2read
    We had interior of FL house we bought couple of years ago repainted before moving in--basic neutral in the contiguous front living/kitchen/dining areas and our master...put more color in guest bedrooms and utility room.
    Used BM Barbados Sand, Kelly Moore Arizona Heat, Valspar Khaki
    The flooring in the living area was some engineered wood the sellers had laid couple of years before and too new and undamaged to replace---and it had a lot of yellow/reddish tone to it--
    The colors we choose did not pull yellow from the floors or red from the cherry Shaker cabinetry in the kitchen/breakfast area...
    We used BM #1 --I think decorator's white-- for the trim in all rooms.

And if you are checking color choices--get some large cardboard sections and paint those to move around the rooms in various light/times...
    painting swatches on a wall is just not the way to do it...
    kpnunez поблагодарил(а): loves2read
  • kpnunez
    Автор
    @ loves2read: and HOBNOB design: Thank you. You are both correct in that there is yellow in the floor and red in the cabinetry (cherry stained maple). I would like to lighten up the space (the colors on the wall are very heavy and I've never liked them, with the exception of the light green color in the foyer/hallway. Would you advise taking this color into the family room/kitchen?

I am so good at being able to walk into someone else's house and advise. But, when it comes to my own home, I am paralyzed!
  • kpappal
    Kpnunez, I suggest you check out the photos of gray rooms on Houzz. Gray is so popular right now because it goes with everything. I think a light gray would tone down the red tones in your kitchen cabinets, and would be very elegant with your white fireplace. It would allow you to add accessories in the beautiful soft blues and greens that you love. It would not compete with the colors in your Persian rugs.
  • laurakdesigns
    You might like BM Revere Pewter. It's great with a lot of sun, or with different light. It's my go-to for the past 10 years for all sorts of rooms and styles
  • PRO
    Ederra Design Studio
    Try Benjamin Moore Jute. It is a soft neutral, neither beige nor gray and neither warm nor cool. It is great for bridging rooms and will look great with coastal tones if you want to incorporate them!