Houzz Logo Print
nancy4megogo

Vessel sink in master bathroom or not

nancy4megogo
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
We are remolding our master bathroom, would like to put two vessel sinks on two separate vanities across from one another opposite side of bathroom vanities each are 48" long. The problem I am having is that most are only 5-6" deep and I am concerned that it is not deep enough. I have been hearing that the water will splash all over the vanity, any information pros & cons will be greatly appreciated. We can not use a sink too wide or it will take up too much of the vanity and leave very little granite showing (not in favor of that look). All comments are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Комментарии: 18

• PRO
    Dytecture
    Vessel sinks are most ideal in a powder room, otherwise they are not very practical.
    nancy4megogo поблагодарил(а): Dytecture
  • nancy4megogo
    Автор
    Very informative, appreciate your reply, Thank You.
  • deborita81
    Recently visited my dad's house. He had a vessel sink in the guest bathroom. It was horrible ! Every time I tuned the water on it would gush up over the edge. Washing your face resulted in splashes everywhere. His was a green glass one which also showed every soap sud and toothpaste remnant .... Ha ha made a lasting impression !
    nancy4megogo поблагодарил(а): deborita81
  • bamamom
    LOVE ours!!! Had it installed 2 years ago on top of an old buffet I found/converted and could not be more happy! Ours is 5" deep and with the ring base it sits 6" above the counter top. NO problems splashing outside the sink, only the walls inside the sink and that is more from the hubby when brushing teeth. Simple wipe down each morning and good to go. I do wash my face here every evening and no problems. From floor to top of sink is 42", we're tall too, 6', so not a problem for us. Cleaning underneath and behind is not a problem, towel/cloth and just like dusting.
    The first pic attached was taken last month, had just repainted and have not had a chance to find the right accessories. The second pic was taken right after the project was completed, keeping previous wall color at the time since I knew we would be repainting the whole house within the next couple of years...that process taking place now. Fun times!
    Maybe take a large bowl and sit it on your current countertops in the bathroom just to get a feel for it. Good luck!
    nancy4megogo поблагодарил(а): bamamom
  • bamamom
    PS.....the water pressure can be turned down slightly should it be to strong and come out over the top....does not effect the daily use functions of the sink though.
  • nancy4megogo
    Автор
    Thank You, pictures sure do help. Sink looks very pretty on counter top.
  • bamamom
    Thank you Nancy.
  • PRO
    Tod Drescher Architecture
    Very few of my clients go with vessels in the master bathroom. Better to put one in a powder room. I like an under mount sink for easy cleaning and a clean look. Here are some pics showing both. Tod
    nancy4megogo поблагодарил(а): Tod Drescher Architecture
  • PRO
    one more MB pic of a Kohler vessel sink
  • PRO
    apparently can only post one pic at a time so here is another one
  • nancy4megogo
    Автор
    Thank You, I appreciate the pictures and your advice
  • deborita81
    Bamamom I think I see the problem. My dad's vessel sink did not have the type of faucet you have. His was much closer to the bowl and did not have such a downward tilt so it just shot right in and out of the bowl.
  • bamamom
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    @deborita81....that happened when we turned on the water the first time. The contractor saw my face and said "don't freak out on me, we just need to adjust everything". So the faucet does not hit square on the sink and the pressure was turned down a little as well. Still have more pressure than we did with the original 1979 sink and pipes! YIKES!!!
    Todd...that Kohler sink, second photo you posted, was my second choice for sinks. I was worried though about the white with the granite and dark cabinet.
    nancy4megogo поблагодарил(а): bamamom
  • Mark Rousso
    You should also consider that they are on their way out... I just went through this with three bathrooms in Los Angeles and every high-end designer I spoke to said unequivocally "no" and that it's the equivalent of putting up a glass mosaic backplash in the kitchen now --when the design is at Home Depot and Lowe's it's already done... (sorry if that sounded harsh - but I thought it worthy of mentioning since most comments were about function and not form).
    nancy4megogo поблагодарил(а): Mark Rousso
  • nancy4megogo
    Автор
    Thanks, for addressing my issue. Your comment was appreciated & valued~~~~~~!
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    The splashing has nothing to do with the sink being a Vessel or an undermount. The water pressure hitting the sink will make a splash with either an overmount, undermount or Vessel sink. Just try it with the one you currently have an see for yourself. In addition I think the added height that comes into play with the vessel sink makes it a plus. I hate to have to bend over to come closer to my undermount sink every time I use it.