Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

What's the coolest piece of furniture/decor you have?

Jeannie Nguyen
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
Got any unique looking pieces in your home?

Post a photo and share with us why you chose that item!

Fresco · Еще

Комментарии: 104

• kroze
    I love the dogs!!
  • luinat
    My favorite is this bar that my Grandfather brought from China in the 1930s. It is made of cherrywood, rosewood, and teak. It has six doors that open, two drawers inside, plus a big chest type compartment for bottles.
  • Doreen Zorek
    My favorite pieces are outside my house. I have 2 spring steel pinwheel chairs (sled type base) that I found about 15 years ago and bought for $75 each. Now you can't touch them for less then $400 to $500 each. They are so comfortable & everybody wants them. I call them my Casa Blanca chairs because they are in the movie in front of Rick's Americana Café.
  • kroze
    @luinat.......That is a beautiful bar! When I was living in Asia I saw similar bars but none as beautiful as yours! Your grandfather definitely made a good purchase.

It reminded me of this secretarial desk I bought in Asia. It has over twenty hidden compartments that my children have found. I didn't know they were there when I purchased it. You might want to carefully check all parts of your chest to make sure there are not hidden compartments in it. The Asians love to do that!
  • ikwewe
    Hidden compartments! That reminds me, I have this beautiful oak dresser with a marble top that my grandmother bought when she was working as a nurse in the late 19teens. It was the first piece of furniture that she bought, and I think she was in her late 20s. It has a full width secret drawer at the bottom that we found as we were moving the dresser. I wonder if she remembered it. There was only a mouse skeleton in the drawer when we found it.
  • joannpb
    @Decorating Den Interiors - Deborah Bettcher
    You might call your Italian lady "Donna Rinata" - it means woman reborn, in Italian.
  • Pat
    This is the piece in my home that I really like. I don't know how unique it is, but I'm told it is made of blonde mahogany which I had not heard of before.
  • nhmorris43
    I like this old secretary that I bought at a junk store--it was totally black from age. I painted it white, then painted flowers on it. It was in my daughter's room, but is now in my guest room.
  • PRO
    Luminoso Design
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    my Favorite thing(s) are Fortuny Lights, check us out. This image is a detailed shot of the one in our Living Room. We are your resource for this amazing line of lights www.luminosodesign.com and drop ship worldwide. We also agree with comment above nwmess re: Fresh Flowers!!!! For lots more fabulous lighting images check us out!
  • Angie Brinkman
    @barknwoof very cool and your dogs are so cute...this picture looks like it is right out of a magazine and you have dog models!!!
  • kroze
    Do those beds belong to those dogs? : )
  • Kriss
    The picture doesn't show the detail unless you zoom in on it, but my late grandfather carved all the detail including my initials into this walking stick. He made one for each grandchild and his great grand children. His memory is alive every time I look at it. It's an heirloom now that I'll pass down to my daughter.
  • goddessofchaos
    I made a copper dragon sculpture many years ago and he stayed on the roof of my covered stairway until I had to take him down when the house was tented. I have since fixed my pond and he is guarding it. Those bright photos are shortly after I made him and he was on display in our school gallery but he has weathered nicely and is now as I had envisioned him.
  • Rachel H
    I saw these geese on someone's wall in a photo on Houzz
    Study · Еще
    I was on the hunt for bird-themed artwork that would work on a tall wall when I saw the same birds come up for sale on JossandMain.com and I jumped at the chance to buy them for my own wall. What a find! And so cheap!
  • catz1
    How on earth did we morph from "the coolest piece of furniture or decor" to this photo of cats' with really bad furniture and decor?
  • skmom
    I love everything in my home, but my husband and I found this dresser on Craigslist and I fell in love with it's shape. It was painted in a distressed style which looked good if you like that sort of thing, but we don't. I first tried painting the whole thing in a taupe-ish color, and after a couple of days I decided I hated it. So with my husbands blessing of "have fun" (ie, this is all on you) I stripped everything about the dresser down to bare wood and discovered the top had a very nice veneer. So I painted it cream, we stained the top... (He got excited again once I exposed the wood and again saw it's potential) And we use it as our media cabinet. We put on new hinges, and the former drawers that were on the right my husband turned into shelves for his electronics and hinged the fronts of the drawers like a door. And best of all... My handy husband fixed everything so you can't see any wires!!
  • skmom
    Here's a picture with the doors open... He used wood from the sides of the former drawers to brace the inside of the new door. The left hand drawers are still just regular drawers.
  • skmom
    Forgot to add... The only wood he had to purchase was for the 3 new shelves because the bottom of the former drawers wasn't wide enough. We are pretty proud of how we repurposed this piece! I love how it looks!
  • lynnhedrick
    My entry bench at our vacation home. My snowshoe lamp my hubby made.
  • lynnhedrick
    My mesquite table with natural curved edges that weighs a ton!
  • patscats2
    catz, do you own this board? How dare you insult my post. I posted the cat photo as a joke and it's obvious you are too stuck up to understand that. If you insult me again I will make sure you are removed from this website. For those of you who "liked" catz' insulting post, the same goes for you too.

I hadn't been to this site in 6 months while undergoing grueling radiation treatment for Stage 4 cancer. I come back to the likes of people like you and it's just down right disgusting. Shame on you for your rudeness and ugliness.
  • bungalowmo
    Here are a few pieces I picked up at local antique shops & auctions.

The table, chair & dresser are in my spare bedroom & the mirror hangs in my dining room.

I really do love a well made piece of furniture....it will last forever! The weave on the chair back & seat is in great shape. Looks to be Eastlake design/timeframe.
  • yvonnecmartin
    My favorite is this rocker. My mother purchased it in 1935 for 50 cents from a neighbor. It has been "reupholstered" several times. Mother did the current cover when crewel-work embroidery was the craze, probably 30 or so years ago. To be authentic it should have carpet for the back and seat, no cushion, but I prize its uniqueness. My furniture guy had to put stops on the rocker part because my husband kept leaning too far back and one day it tipped over on him!

Except for family Mission pieces, all of our other furniture is Scandinavian modern. Just for contrast, I attach a photo of our scissor chair. I bought it on ebay last year and had new upholstery made (but kept the original).
  • santoslhauper
    It's not in my house, but a lamp I made for a friend
  • cyclingthroughlife
    My favorite are these card catalogs that I purchased from the local university. Although they are massive, we were fortunate that our family room is large enough to accommodate. The best part is that there are lots of little drawers so that we can put away little things that would somehow end up all over the house.
  • sbrustein
    I have 2 favorite pieces- both are from used furniture stores and both were picked up for my home by my mother who was a budget conscious designer. The standing lamp uses an oversized mogul bulb that provides a lot of light for my dark living room. The china cabinet was about $150 and holds all my china and crystal.
  • catz1
    Patscats2, Apparently I didn't get the joke, Did not mean to offend you in any way. Very sorry you are ill, welcome back to Houzz.
  • sbrustein
    Cyclingthroughlife- that is a really cool piece of furniture! Do you have those small items labelled behind the white cards?
  • despinach
    I don't know if it is "cool", but this icon is very important to me (and of high value too); I got it from my grandparents, who had always said the Ten Holy Martyrs were on it. I had it maintained by an expert, who revealed that there were actually the 40 Holy Martyrs on it! They could be seen only after the icon had been professionally cleaned and looked after. It is more than 200 years old and I wish my grandparents were alive to see what it really looks like!
  • kroze
    @cyclingthroughlife...... I cannot imagine searching through the drawers for the Scotch tape! : /
    Do you have a card file to tell you where to find things? : )
  • Rosanne
    barknwoof, adore that headboard. Where did you get it? And your pups are precious
  • Jill Hamilton-Krawczyk
    I have a number of unique things in my house, but two that come to mind right away are 1) this turquoise ceramic dragon lamp that my husband and I found together at a local flea market and 2) this hanging pendant light that will be going in the guest bedroom (whenever that project gets finished).
  • PRO
    Seriously Designed
    I created this for the end wall of a very long walkway in my home. It's burnt out tree roots cut to size and pieced together, it measures 1800mm x 1800mm. It's a wonderful focal point as you walk down to this area.
  • maureenroth
    Very cool!
  • PRO
    Seriously Designed
    Love your lighting too maureenroth. We have a very clever designer here on the island that does work similar to that. His name is Chen and he has a piece in the Japanese museum of fine art....
  • joannpb
    That is fascinating. I'd be proud to hang it in my home.
  • cyclingthroughlife
    @sbrustein and kroze -

I do label each drawer, so that I know what each one holds. Fortunately, or unfortunately, they are arranged in alphabetical order, so each time I use a new drawer, I have to reshuffle every drawer.
  • Lori Dones
    I saw her at a thrift store and loved her right away but went home to think about it...she was gone when I went back. Little did I know my sweet husband went and got her to surprise me with! I love them both!
    My favorite decor is these old locks that I hung on the wall.
  • Heidi Downer
    Our gorgeous 292 strands of crystal chandelier bought in NOLA--our "Louisiana Purchase"
  • kroze
    Gorgeous Heidi! It is very unique.

We bought our crystal chandelier many years ago in Istanbul, Turkey!!
    We have shipped it twice internationally and several moves domestically, but it has been worth it.
  • PRO
    The Artist & The Carpenter
    Currently I am enjoying, and using my latest piece "Barn Board Pop Up Table that we have in our living room. Not only is it functional but I made it out of 80 year old barn wood from a winery.
    @ArtistCarpenter~~
  • acroteria
    While it's not unique, my fav. is our 1953 Model 'C' Chambers stove. We had the interior re-powder coated and most of the chrome redone but the yellow paint is original. No need to post a pic since there are hundreds of pics of similar online. I was indifferent about it until it arrived....reminds me of a 1950's automobile.
  • albing
    my favourite things
  • dclostboy
    I love my Wegner buffet...purchased at auction, but looks like it was always meant to go there.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    dclostboy, yesterday you showed a picture of your front hall and those gorgeous floors; today it is the Wegner and your fab dining set.

Stop teasing and show me everything! Your house is fantastic.
  • dclostboy
    JudyG, the wegner is at the beach house. Maybe Houzz would want to do a story on one or both :)
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I can't really say that the piece is "cool" but it is my favorite and aside from two errors of furniture judgment in 50 years, I only spend money on things I love. It's just a cherry demilune table from Pompanoosuc Mills (they don't make them anymore). It's graceful and sweet, and solid cherry, and beautifully finished. I got to pick the wood and the leg shape and the edge detail and the hardware & they made it up just for me. No one else has one...maybe that's why I love it.

Of course, maybe I should reconsider my choice. The reproduction of the Matisse paper cutout above the table was MADE by my graphic designer sister. She knows I adore the paper cutouts & she shopped and bought a poster to frame for me. When she opened the poster, she hated the poster's bad color reproduction and quality. What to do? She got out her airbrush and frisket film and MADE me a reproduction, which she then mounted and framed. My sister is awesome!

• sofikbr
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

My art. I am surprised so not many show it

• PRO
    Muck & Co. Architectural salvage
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

This black walnut is one of the most unique pieces I have ever owned. Hand crafted in Waterford Mi from a 100 year old tree that was going to be cut into firewood Thanks so Much to Muck & Co. Architectural salvage.