Houzz Logo Print
texellie

Help make my cabin kitchen more cabiny

texellie
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
This is my white kitchen in our cabin. They are laminate. Not happy with them but can't replace now. How can I make it more "cabiny".

Комментарии: 18

• halfpint2
    Look at some cabinet appliques, something rustic.
  • Claudianne Young
    Could you make it look like beadboard by adding subtle gray stripes?
  • PRO
    Horrocks & Co.
    Add crown moulding and surface moulding paint and woodgrain.
  • brickln
    Why not keep it all white and have seasonal accessories? They appear to be in great shape.
  • sybillacirce
    I had a similar issue with a white corner cabinet. I too have a small house in the country that has many decorating challenges and I've always had budget constraints. Therefore, I've learned to paint almost everything including laminate. I've attached a picture of the cabinet that I painted with a mixture of decorative painting glazing and interior latex paint. Another option is decoupage. I've attached a couple of samples of birch bark wallpaper. You could also use gift wrap. Of course you will need to seal it. I've used a decorating decoupage book for help. Martha Stewart products have lots of faux painting products, too. It all needs sealing or wear and tear in the kitchen will be a problem.
  • sybillacirce
    First picture didn't turn out. I'll send another during the day. Lighting is a problem where the cabinet is.
  • PRO
    patricia sarnataro
    An easy solution would be to change the hardware to something more rustic, ie is dark iron or dark rubbed antique brass and yes some molding at the top
  • PRO
    J. White Handyman, Design & Construction
    Today's refacing techniques are much better than they used to be. It is a viable option and more affordable than replacing cabinets, counters and fixtures. There are examples here on Houzz, like this one:
    Kitchen Cabinet Refacing in Naples, FL · Еще

If you are looking for an even cheaper solution, how about removing the doors on the upper cabinets and then framing the openings with a pretty trim? Of course that means keeping your open shelves organized, but doing so would be pretty enough to distract the eye from the base cabinets, on which you could keep the doors, just replace the hardware with something more unique and attractive.
  • texellie
    Автор
    Wow, I am amazed at the response. Great ideas. We are planning aspen on the walls and some type of backsplash but the cabinets were my main concern. Thanks, everyone.
  • PRO
    Paris Flea Interiors
    Well it looks as if you have a good space .I would definately change the hardware and focus on a beautiful backsplash . This will enhance the area at minimal cost! Good luck with your project and please post "after" pics.
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    I would say save the money until you can replace the cabinets then definitely consider doing a reclaimed wood kitchen it has a beautiful rustic appeal. That with a real wooden countertop would be nice for ideas look at our page and check out the boxcar flooring countertop we did, very cool rustic look.
  • Brenda
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    you could go this "open shelving" route, but you have to be VERY tidy and have well selected kitchenware (or it just ends up looking like a cluttered mess). It's a look I personally really like though, and wouldn't be all that expensive to replicate.

[houzz=
    Harbor Cottage, Maine · Еще
    ][houzz=
    A Cook's Cottage · Еще
    ][houzz=
    Crane Island Cabin · Еще
    ] [houzz=
    Deephaven, MN – Cottage completed in 2009 · Еще
    ]
  • Dar Eckert
    How about painting the lower cabinets blue. and taking the doors off the upper cabinets & paint inside white if not already
    Tashmoo Cottage · Еще
  • James Settle
    Try wood flooring or younger and groove pine
  • James Settle
    Tounge and groove pine and cover them
  • PRO
    Reclaimed Lumber Products
    What about reclaimed wood paneling on the walls to make it look more rustic. I like this Houzz pic with old wood in the kitchen.
    My Houzz: Colorful Vintage Finds fill a Chic Modern Farmhouse · Еще

We have a paneling product that could get this look easily.

http://www.reclaimedlumberproducts.com/product/accent-wall-paneling-idaho-barn-wood-blend