Houzz Logo Print
carrieturi22

My ceiling needs help

carrieturi22
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
What can I do to my popcorn ceiling without having to scrap and drywall? I hate the mess that would cause? Any creative ideas?

Комментарии: 7

• carrieturi22
    Автор
    Its already been painted so i dont think water would work?? Any ceiling panel covers that you can buy that would work?
  • Diane
    Get a hand held sprayer, and soak it with water. Then just use a big scrapper & got to town. Even though it has been painted it will come off, trust me, I've done several rooms with several more to go. It's very easy, but very messy. Wet popcorn ceiling sticks to everything, so take the time to tape plastic sheeting from top of wall to the floor, and cover the floor also. When your done just pull plastic down and roll into a ball and toss. Takes time to prep but so worth it in the end. Good luck!
    carrieturi22 поблагодарил(а): Diane
  • PRO
    Marc Russell Interiors
    If you decide to remove it, I would call a pro. It could have asbestos in it, and you don't want any of that airborne. Even if you do it yourself, you will need a pro to skim coat it before you paint. If you don't, every imperfection from scraping will show. Good luck!
    carrieturi22 поблагодарил(а): Marc Russell Interiors
  • jennifer_leflore
    Yes, so well worth the effort to scrape the popcorn off the ceilings. I also had painted ceilings but it came off beautifully. I used a spray bottle of water and would soak an area before I started to scrape. I used a wide blade paint scraper. I held a shallow box like a box lid to catch the scrapings. I had my ceilings and walls textured by a professional and just finished painting and updating the first two areas I had done. Wow..! With new texture, paint, light switches and door hardware my. 50 year old house is beginning to look like new..! Good luck..!
  • PRO
    AE Building Systems
    There is a lot of information out there on this... you could re-skin it with another layer of gypsum. However, you need consider your ceiling lights.
  • armygirl1987
    I plan on doing mine first of the year but definitely going with a pro.