Houzz Logo Print
nanavati

How do these chairs look with this dining table?

nanavati
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
This is technically our breakfast area but we use it as our daily dining table. It is dark brown wood with a glossy black glass top. I'm so torn about whether this type of chair and color are the right ones for the table and space. I'm debating keep these, or maybe do more of a transparent or colored ghost chair type, or just more of a standard chair. Any ideas?! FYI in the near future we will have orange color sectional with Dk brown trim coming in place of where the white one is right now.

Комментарии: 45

• Kim Stringfellow
    To me, these chairs look a little 'heavy' for this space. You obviously prefer contemporary and I think clear acrylic chairs would suit your taste. It seems that you did not intend to make this the focal point of the room, but the dark color and heavy bases draw the eye directly to it.
  • User
    I like these chairs generally but I think the black with the black gloss table is too much.
  • User
    Wishbone chairs would be less heavy and still your style I think. You could do different colors or the black.
    http://houzz.com/photos/1879700
  • User
    I think you probably have your choice of many of the iconic modern chairs or something similar either in black with less weight or just a different color. My only concern with an acrylic chair though I like them is that they might disappear too much - although it's currently too black I think the area also looks a little small. Maybe a rug would help.
  • ce55
    Would you post pictures of the transparent or colored ghost chairs you have in mind? Too much black with orange might look Holloweenish...
  • Kim Stringfellow
    I just found a pic of some acrylic chairs you might like...
  • Kim Stringfellow
    Sorry, they are in the background on the left side (a little hard to see)
  • reba120
    I agree they look too heavy. Would it be possible to get something that would work with the table but tie in the new sofa too?
  • nanavati
    Автор
    Thanks for all the input, im not very creative! I agree with all of you, i do feel they are looking too heavy and becoming the focal point which is def not what i intended. I do have a large space there, i plan to put some decor pieces in the corners and the new sofa will be significantly larger than the current one which will hopefully help. I also thought just some simple dining stools instead of chairs but i couldnt find any? Im gonna look into more acrylic chairs and wishbone.
  • PRO
    Windows Etc.,Inc
    I like the idea of the acrylic chairs. I do think you need some window treatments, for color and depth in the room, possibly a rug as well under the table.
  • User
  • User
    Oops ignore that last one from me
  • midmodfan
    To me, the main problem aren't the chairs, but that everything is black. You can't see where the chairs end and the table begins.

I personally would NOT recommend Ghost chairs or the like. We had Arper Leaf chairs first because we thought that our dining area was too small for something with a little bit more impact, but they simply 'disappeared'. I've attached a before and after photo.
  • witch06
    These chairs give the impression of a real statement and in fact, even if I'm a "white lover", I just love your chairs with this table. It looks like a flower opening its petals ;) What bothers me much more than the chairs is the absence of plants and flowers in your room... but this is just my feeling!
  • mystuff6838
    I would think along the lines of metal. Look at your bars tools, they are great. If you want the table to be the focal point, metal with your accent color. If you want the able to be a layer of the main colors, metal with the earth tones you've got going on in the bar.
  • nanavati
    Автор
    Do you guys think this table is too much for the breakfast nook altogether? Should I consider moving it to the formal (minus the black chairs!) and then putting the square medium wood color one I've ordered for the formal in the breakfast area instead? But if I did do that would the round chandalier I have there be ok with the square table or would I need to move that also?
  • PRO
    Virtus Design
    They are a little too dark for the area. Window treatments or a rug would help to bring balance to the room
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    Ugh. I think you need an abstract colorful rug...
  • User
    I think you're fine with the round fixture over a square table but I don't think this table is too much for the breakfast area with different chairs
  • User
    Don't think it quite goes with your bar stools and sofa. Sorta of reminds me of a library/ school table. Think table would work with a different chair. Good luck.
  • Andrea D.
    It looks like the kiddie table. Sorry. :-(
  • armygirl1987
    I think that you need a bigger table for that area or something else in the space.
  • PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    I like! I am modern practioner for most part. Can you try one thing for me please first? Take away 6 th chair and put it some where convenient for use as needed. Now take these awesome iconic chairs and spread them out a bit and let them breath with the table. You have the space to show the wonderful form of these chairs so let them be the sculpture that they are. Now if that feels better to you then try one more thing. Get another chair of same design but, different color and pop it in there for fun. I'd like to see blue or green or yellow....got to look up all the colors...can't remember. Use the 2 extra black chairs at a game table or flanking a piece of furniture etc... Modern furniture is art. Display it.

Remember modern is about appreciating "less is more" and letting good pieces speak for themselves without DECORATING things to death! BTW...I love light fixture and am getting ready to order that very fixture for a client.
  • PRO
    Oh and you can still have some flair. Buy an Alessi or Nambe silver bowl or tray for a secondary place for your eye to go as you move right up to table. We experience space in three dimensions and time so, think how your eye picks up what it sees. Coming in room you take in form of the modern furniture and as you move close and sit in the furniture your eye takes in details and accessories. Make middle of table as special as your carefully selected furniture items. You chose well. Don't second guess yourself.
  • PRO
    You know all these comments about your modern table and chair are weird. I love what you have! People who love and follow modern, march to different drumbeat so, you are not going to get MODERN support on this forum for the most part. You need to be on Modern and mid-century followers forum for your area. Takes trained designers to support you in the pursuit of modern or other modern homeowners like yourself.
  • PRO
    Granite Creek Cabinetry
    Looks nice and I like it.
  • PRO
    Here are a few ideas for you for a spectacular modern, contemporary item in middle of table. Go to locale art fairs and galleries and patronize talented local artists. They need your support and will in turn provide artistry made with love or humor or just zest for life!

Sources to check out not local would be:
    www.etsy.com
    www.ebay.com
    www.artfulhome.com
    www.overstock.com
    www.jonathanadler.com
    www.horchowcollection.com

and on and on and on. Zillions of wonderful sources so, think about what enchants you, entertains you, is interesting to look at, would be a nice holder for some fresh apples or fruit on the table etc... Once a week or a couple of times a month buy your favorite greenery or flowers and put on table. Modern does not have to be cold. Its pure and sculptural at its best. It can have that "museum" element that many people do not like or it can have that museum element that many modern lovers are drawn to because, of the purity and elegance and finesse!
  • Sue Geddes
    I think if you like minimalist modern look then you have a very good look. I really like your look. I also think a cool piece of art so to speak on your table containing a colour or even black again would set it all off. If you love it don't change it !!!
  • PRO
    Looks like you have a fabulous view. I would find a great ARTIST made outdoor bench that was also, like sculpture for sitting outside and looking at nature. I would also, place a sculpture cool to look at from inside. Right sculpture for outside will not take away from nature but, both will enhance each other. I grabbed a red sculpture but, there are many possibilities based on your temperment and spirit.

Also, next to cabinets or on inside patio I would place one GREAT tree, cactus or plant specimen from the most reputable grower you can find in your area. It will probably be a wholesale source that sells to hotels or commercial accounts but, they will have the best, healthiest and most interesting plant specimens. A great plant can be like a sculpture too. Find amazing container for it too. I just grabbed simple silver pot but, there are amazing large containers that will set off specimen plant just right.
  • PRO
    Pat Duriez
    I think your chairs are more for rec room!
  • thornythicket
    Looks good as is but one chair moved yet still in the room would be better.
  • PRO
    NANAVATI ...Please post...I think you have some MODERN followers finally on board here and that will be rewarding to keep them on thread to solve Design Dilemma!
  • User
    The chairs are not working. For starters there are too many, second the design should be less dense, more open.
  • pcride
    Too dark, too 'heavy' looking. In my opinion. Something lighter color, bigger to fit the room. Rectangle, not circle. Maybe distressed knotty alder
  • n247080
    both the table and the chairs are interesting in their own right, but together they absorb each other to the point that you have kind of a black hole in the room and neither the table nor the chairs can be seen as separate entities. Perhaps you can separate the two out and still utilize both. (i.e. use in different rooms where the chairs can stand out more)

I would go for a lighter, more open chair with the heavy feel of this table.

You have a lovely space and it's really starting to pull together!
  • qam999
    Duplicate threads have been "closed"; please carry on with this one.
  • Voyageurs47 Voyageurs 47
    They do look a little heavy, but window treatments and a rug will help soften the look. I like the chairs alot. I also like ghost chairs, but are they sturdy enough for daily use?
  • blaze757/lovebee
    What is the big thing about double posting is it that serious? I feel as long as the person gets the message what's the problem just keep it moving Its not that serious :)
  • PRO
    Jan Neiges, CMKBD with NKBA
    I love that set - I think you need some color around the windows, or on the wall that will work with your new sofa - the table and chairs is a great statement, unique - I support NOT having to buy and/or replace items if they can work - just add some color and you can have a WOW room - all the best on your endeavor
  • bellesum
    You need to sort out your color scheme first. Paint walls a light gray to balance the abundance of orange tones (especially when your new orange sectional is in). Would prefer the same chairs in white.

http://houzz.com/photos/625303
  • Kristen Clayton
    Because of the color, they are a bit heavy and dark. I do love the structure of them though!
  • PRO
    Daybreak Workroom LLC
    I see a room with nothing goin' on except a "round Black Hole" (the table) and chairs to match. Personally? the table and chairs are not my taste, but it ain't my house, and the object of the game is to solve the problem using the given furniture and collective imagination.

I think your best bet is to soften the hard edges of your space... add some window treatments and a rug. Go for full length on the treatments and go for a bold textured fabric, maybe with a rolled leading edge in a contrasting fabric, pick something that will take the hard edge of the dark color of your table and chairs (I suggest the leading/rolled edge be in concert with the color of your tiled floor). Pick a rug that is uninsistant... quiet and subtle under foot. Don't tuck the chairs under the table! (it only increases the "black hole" effect). Maybe you could add a tablecloth in a color to coordinate with window treatments... try to take the edge off the "black hole", but your furniture makes a very strong "style" statement and I think you have to go with that statement because trying to change it will look silly and amateur. Your furniture is what it is... go with it!
  • K Carlstrom
    Very fun. I like the set. With all the windows, I say go for lots of plants including a bright green center piece(s) for the table. Consider bringing in a fun collection of garden style art and perhaps a cart as well as a few chunky style candle holders to hold nice fat candles. Keep the garden style theme moving through the view windows and doors and I think you will have a fun and happy place that gives you lots of options for how you use and enjoy your space.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    I don't like the dark chairs with dark table. If going orange in next area tie in area with same color tone. Replace chairs with a print high back fabric. Use the creams, black,a touch of orange. On floor bring it together with a round area rug. When chairs are pulled out should still be on rug. How big is table? If 72" rug should be 9ft. Rug could be shag, or not but in the hot orange and shades of reds. Like a sunset. Add a tall center piece. Of lucite candle holders mix up shape, size group in center use 5. Use a touch of orange in kitchen also. Use area rug in family room to in front of new sofa. Go contemporary design. Using bold colors. Add panels to ends of windows to give them a finish look. Solid 2 shades darker than walls.