Houzz Logo Print
dreambee

Painting wood, yes or no?

Nina Binder
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
Will I forever be doomed by the Gods of Nature if I were to paint this wood ceiling a washed out white color along with the walls???! The room is so dark and heavy to me I would love to open and lighten it up!

Комментарии: 26

• Nina Binder
    Автор
    http://houzz.com/ideabooks/15039759 this idea book gives me much hope and courage
  • User
    Paint away;)
  • Nina Binder
    Автор
    @dclostboy thank you very very much!!
  • Nina Binder
    Автор
    @Margo :-))))))) hehehe thank you very much!! This feedback helps a lot!!
  • Nina Binder
    Автор
    Another photo...
  • chilie
    Yes I would a soft white. But that's just me.
  • dclostboy
    The yellow walls and warm wood trim are fighting with each other. Look at P&L Winter's Gate. It reminds me of the color of snow falling.
  • Nina Binder
    Автор
    Thank you all so much! Monday is painting day, I am very much looking forward to it now :-)
  • User
    I think you will be soooooo much happier- Post a pic after finished;)
  • Nina Binder
    Автор
    @Margo that's a wonderful idea! I will!
  • unwantedadvice
    I concur, paint the ceiling as it will not look so top heavy. :))
  • reba120
    We recently painted a wood ceiling like yours, on our screened in porch, sky blue. Sounds weird but it is awesome!
  • Nina Binder
    Автор
    @reba ooooh that actually sounds wonderful!!!
  • skarykari
    I like the wood! I would paint the walls and the trim bright white and leave the ceiling natural wood. Then replace the chandelier with some more modern and brighter lighting. I think the contrast would look nice. But I love white & wood...do what YOU like
  • indomom
    BM has a color called "Patriotic White" that just has a tinge of blue to it. That might be pretty on the ceiling. We've done several bedroom ceilings with that and light walls.
  • mlou72
    Wood ceilings can be great in a larger or on a very tall ceiling. I say paint it too. I would.
  • Nina Binder
    Автор
    Now I am wondering if chalk paint would look nice on the ceiling!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    -- You might enjoy the look of high gloss paint on the ceiling. It would keep the character of the wood / grooves texture. You will not miss the dark ceiling but you might miss the pattern the boards make. This ceiling is a great architectural detail in the space so keep as much of it as you can.
  • soozmacrae
    I would paint it but not with gloss paint. It has too much shine, and if its anything like the UK gloss paint has had some harmful chemical removed so after a few weeks it turns yellowish.
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    I would prime and paint it in flat or low sheen white. I would also recommend scuff sanding the substrate before applying the primer. Good luck:)
  • tooky58
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    Definetly paint it (can't spell tonight)
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    Yes I would paint it !
  • PRO
    User
    Soozmacrae what brand of paint are referring too?
  • Kivi
    We had a ceiling just like yours, along with the same wood on the walls. The room always felt dark and depressing. We kept it that way for quite a few years because we felt guilty about painting the wood. In our case we white washed it, and it completely transformed the room. Go for it. You won't regret it.
  • PRO
    High Caliber Construction
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

paint the trim, choose contrast colors for walls and replace the fixture in the ceiling.

I would leave the wood ceiling!