Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Do you decorate your yard for Halloween?

Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
If you are going to do a Halloween makeover on your yard, when do you get started and what do you do? How early is too early?

Would love to see some pics!

Комментарии: 47

• Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    Yes. I do decorate for Halloween. About 7-10 days prior.
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Ellie Young
    I put a jack o'lantern out on my balcony, which has a much bigger impact, since I live in Russia and they are something people have heard about, rather than seen.
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Sigrid
    I can barely get the lights up in time for Xmas! Halloween isn't even on my radar.
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): karemore55
  • PRO
    Try to gather the most cool Halloween outdoor decorations to help you to create a perfect ambiance .You could use simple items which you could easy make by yourself. Of course the most popular Halloween decoration are types of various pumpkins. Carved pumpkins look amazing, but you shouldn't regret if you cannot carve very well , you could decorate your pumpkin with glitter, rhinestones, masks, and more. Besides you could add your garden by funny ghosts, different skeletons and bats.Hope that you’ll find some ideas for your own garden.Paper bats at the door is another cool idea.I use a lot of glow in the dark crafts which i keep collecting.They look just great at night and are perfect for halloween
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Budget Fence and Patio
    Halloween is not such a big deal in the UK as it is in the US ...we don't generally decorate for Halloween
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Snaggy
    What I needed to add was starting the end of September I start decorating for fall. Mums, pumpkins, etc. then when it gets closer to Halloween I add the ghosts, bats, scary pumpkins, zombies etc. I Love Fall.
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Ellie Young
    pnwretired..that is what I do, too! Progress from fall decor..then slowly to actual "halloween" Great tip!
    If the bug strikes to decorate, my rule (for me) is anytime after October 1st. You might as well decorate early to enjoy in THAT month. The minute the sun comes up on Nov. 1st. the decorations should come down. I get crazy when I see decorations linger long past any holiday.
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): User
    In the past I haven't, but now with DD getting older and not wanting to go out trick or treating, we might have a teen party here with the kids making a haunted yard for the little ones that come around. A month to plan!!!
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Robin W
    Love Halloween, I start Oct 1. I hang plenty of lanterns high in the trees with candles burning. Lots of carved pumpkins and scary witches watching throughout the garden. The moment the little trick or treaters are finished coming to the door, everything is taken down and put away. Too many neighbours overlap Halloween and Christmas. yikes!!
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): bschr
    That reminds me - I'm going to have to turn the globe lights at the end of the driveway into ghosts this year. Generally I put my inflatable lawn decorations out a week before halloween (weather permitting).
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Lynne Mysliwiec
    My husband goes insane at Halloween! Some pics from last year:
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): charleee
    And this year, so far.....
    @ Charlee, I would like to come to your house! I love the effort you and your husband put into it. Clowns are the scariest for sure.
    We live in Southern FL and I truly miss the change of seasons I grew up with. So I make up for it with decorating. I start decorating mid-September with fall colors in the house and on the porch, and of course mums. I'm addicted to Pottery Barn pillow covers and change them out seasonally as well as table runners, napkins, flowers and naturals etc.

My favorite is that I created a photo wall with frames that you can change the pics out easily and I swap out pictures seasonally. I put Fall and Halloween pics in from years past, then Christmas, then Valentines day, Easter, birthdays, and for summer I do old vacation pics. I never have to search for the pics because I stack the seasonal pics in the back of each frame (I also swap in some newer ones). I love seeing my family's growth through the years.

I love heirloom pumpkins and add those the beginning of October. I actually end up refreshing some of them before Halloween. I try and keep it simple through the first half of the month. The mid month we add the spiders and webs and full blown Halloween.

We have a huge Halloween Party every year. ( I wish I had taken more pictures of the decorations) We have all ages from 1 year to 80 years, so we have to be a bit careful with our decor.

I don't decorate for the party until a few days before. We try and keep it simple, but colorful. I love all the creepy stuff, but we just have way too many little ones at the party to go there. I really love Miranda's witches house!

We take down all the Halloween the next day. The fall colors, mums, heirloom pumpkins get joined by a giant grapevine cornucopia filled with fall flowers and gourds and a few Thanksgiving favorites.

I try and keep it down to my favorites for swapping out. Otherwise it feels like to much work, and there's less time for fun!
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Arley
    Thank you bschr! And you are welcome to come any time. This years 'theme' is aliens because ghosts and witches are so last year.... The alien in the pic above is 8' tall.
    Charlene, How did your hubby make that ghost? I might be able to handle something like that.
    Auto-correct! I meant charlee.
    Or, since you said ghosts are so last year, could you just send it to me and save me the work lol?
    One year I purchased meters of cheese cloth from a fabric store cut it in wide strips and through it up on the tree branches...very spooky!!
    karemore55, I believe we bought the ghost from Halloween Express!
    Well, that's even easier - I just get in the car and drive!
    Bschr, I like your idea too. I'll have to decide which is closer - Halloween store or fabric store!
    This year we also bought about 30 blackbirds at the dollar store, I think he's planning something Hitchcock-ish. Should be interesting.
    If you have an extra refrigerator hanging around, this is good:
    I'm also in the UK and as mentioned above we don't really do Halloween, although trick or treating has made its way across the Atlantic in recent times. We often go to Florida in October and it is great to see the decorations. The spooky stuff is fun. I hate the gory stuff though, don't the little kids get scared by that? That fridge is gruesome.
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): shelleyuk
    Shelley, some kids eat it up and some are scared to death. The first year we did this my husband bought a full gorilla suit and hid behind the door. Then he came out suddenly and poor little Minnie Mouse ran the 50 yard dash in 2.2 seconds, screaming all the way. Her parents, however, thought it was hilarious.

The fridge is actually a prop in a Halloween store. I do draw the line, you know?
    Emily, check out pinterest. There are some really great ideas.
    We love decorating inside and out for Halloween! We've toned it down a bit with the outdoor decorations, but we still put out the pumpkins, cobwebs and the styrofoam tombstones that my daughter and I made years ago.
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): zuitzy
    Like others, I like to put out the Halloween decos Oct. 1, so I can enjoy them all month! Nov. 1 they come down. I put Fall stuff out mid-Sept. and it stays up until just after Thanksgiving, when I switch out to Christmas. Yes, I have holiday/seasonal decorating issues. :)
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): LJ Vicik
    Our neighborhood loves decorating for halloween. Lots of kids live around here, so we have a blast. One neighbor lives high up on a hill, so he attaches PVC pipes to the handrails & has one side a candy shoot. The other side is a grown up shot shoot. Yes, his house is the favorite of parents & kids alike!

Here's a photo of our homemade ghost from last year. We'll put it up again this year, probably the week before halloween.
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Sarah
    A shot shoot? I would totally trick or treat there! :)
    Sadly I have no photos, but the most fun I ever have is creating something from stuff I have around already. Twenty-five years ago after we'd moved into a new house and did not have the money to finish the landscaping, we had mounds of top soil in our front yard. My daughter and I dug a graveyard. We shoveled the dirt into shallow graves and left a couple of them open. Then we cut out tombstones from cardboard boxes, painted them gray and printed fun names on them. Trick o treaters loved our impromptu decor. Several years later, divorced and living in a high rise condo with no yard, I yearned to create a monster to place in my window. Using old Halloween costumes (a black cape, a scary mask, a black witch wig, etc.) I made one and mounted my monster onto an old floor lamp, removing its shade. I bought bloody rubber hands and pinned them to his sleeves. I replaced the bulb in that room with a red one so the room glowed pink and then I set my creation in the window with his hands touching the glass pane. He looked pretty amazing. Each year, I added something else: A black crow, a spider web, a candelabra with black candles. So much fun.
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): cocoanlace
    And Halloween 2013, so far:
  • PRO
    For a fun indoor conversation piece Grow The Zombie Plant! It really Plays DEAD when you Touch it! Then minutes later comes back to life
    http://www.thezombieplant.com
    I attached a couple older photos of our house on another article last year but here are a few more recent ones... We love Halloween at our house here in Utah!
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Kevin
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    I love Halloween. I usually start at the end of Sept. I use a lot of clear white lights that I can also leave up for Christmas. That way I don't have to freeze my hands trying to put out lights in December in ND!
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Jayme H.
  • PRO
    Themed Halloween parties I throw every year!
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Pavone Design Studios
    After Thanksgiving for me . I do a bit more decorating outside each year for the kids , we shall see what I come with this year , no pictures yet .
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): Geneviève
    This is something I've done almost every year. I don't have a photo but I got the idea from Sunset magazine a few years ago. Sorry...I couldn't find a link online so I just took a pic of the pic I saved. It makes a really pretty walkway...
    Emily H поблагодарил(а): chloebud
    My favorite place to decorate is the powder room.
    pavone design studios....I am in LOVE with your photo!! This is the perfect combo of green and red without looking "christmas-ey!!" thats a hard look to achieve, and you nailed it! wow!
    Yes. Just pumpkins and orange and white lights.
  • Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I go all-out for Halloween. Tombstones, spider webs, light-up plastic statues, fog machines, etc. I decorate the inside of my house in early to mid-August and the outside of my house in early September. I take down all of the Halloween decorations on November 1st and immediately start decorating for Christmas.

• Год(а)/Лет назад: 5
    I decorate every year, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays
  • Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

This will be my first year to decorate for halloween. I started making online purchases in July. . . don't judge.