Houzz Logo Print
mrsfrida

What is wrong with this palette?

mrsfrida
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
Ok, so I wanted to create a warm and energetic place and I think I overdone it. I don't know what is wrong with it, but I see this yellow and it just doesn't feel right. Also, I have no idea what to paint remaining walls. White? This dining room (and the entire house) does not have much natural light. What rug would go well with this? Please share your ideas with me.

Комментарии: 50

• m3459
    The yellow is great. You'll like it once you get the rusty orange color gone. Check out BM Tudric Pewter or Cymric Silver. We just used those colors interchangeably in my daughter's house with yellow and it is so serene. I would recomment a ceiling to floor, grommeted, simple white drapery panel.

And a round sisal rug under your table, as mmilos suggested.
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): m3459
  • pegonia1
    I personally would not put a round rug under a round table for the same reason I wouldn't put a round table cloth on top. A square rug would look soooo much better.
  • Brenda
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    I think the yellow and red are fun & young and look great. Like your furniture and artwork as well. Don't care for your drapery in the dining room, and yes a fun rug with some color would look great ...

maybe an area rug like in this room: [houzz=
    family room · Еще
    ]
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Brenda
  • mrsfrida
    Автор
    Thank you very much for your comments, very helpful.
  • januarisun
    I like the yellow too, but I would remove the blue curtain, and opt for either beige, greige or grey as the next main color in the room.
  • m3459
    Okay, pegonia1, you're right...;->
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    Yellow is fine, blue curtains not so…

New curtains.
    Chevron Curtains, Yellow and White by Sew Panache · Еще

Flora and Fauna and Fabulous Curtain, Yellow · Еще

Echo Design™ Jaipur Fabric Shower Curtain · Еще

This last one is a shower curtain, fabric though is available. It is Kravet Latika and fairly reasonable in price.

I have had luck using shower curtains at windows with a little tweaking.
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): JudyG Designs
  • orangecamera
    Having all 3 primary colors (red, yellow and blue) all visible at the same time is giving it a bit of a juvenile feel. I think if you replace your drapes with something that brings in your hallway color you'll be happier. A pattern or stripes that has the yellow and the hall color together would be great. You asked about painting the other walls - I think they're nice in white, it really makes the other colors pop.

What's behind you when you stand where you took that picture?

What color is your sideboard? It's hard to tell in the photograph.
  • mrsfrida
    Автор
    The sideboard is the ikea grey dresser. Behind me is a bench and the front door (the house was built in 1969 so you walk into the dining room). The color on the bench wall is ugly beige that the seller painted all over. I can change the upholstery myself but need an idea for the fabric.
  • Brenda
    what upholstery can't you change frida? ... I don't see any upholstered pieces in any of your photographs ...
  • mrsfrida
    Автор
    I was thinking about the seating of the bench.
  • studio10001
    Design for Less fabric:
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): studio10001
  • unwantedadvice
    mrsfrida, I love the yellow wall and also the hallway color! :)
  • Darzy
    I like the yellow wall a lot! I'd think about painting the bench wall the same color. How about a nice chandelier above the table?
  • Brenda
    frida -- you could totally reupholster the bench ... no sewing required. All you need is a staple gun.
  • PRO
    SCHARLY DESIGNER STUDIO
    Try already to put a big Red vase on the table, it will warm the ambiance, and get the missing detail. Some love in the Piece ;-)
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): SCHARLY DESIGNER STUDIO
  • orangecamera
    Yes, the wall behind the bench can be the same yellow from the dining room. I wonder if it would look right to use the same fabric for both the curtains and the bench cushion. Or maybe just coordinating fabrics.
  • PRO
    Dan Davis Design
    You have some really great concepts here if you are going for a warm feel. Since you don't get much natural light and you want more warmth, I would suggest adding some lighting. How about a fun pendant light to go over your table, and possibly a fun lamp with a light adjuster in the corner. If you don't like the yellow wall now, move onto something else. Chances are, it will never grow on you once you've decided you aren't crazy about it. Instead, you could put wallpaper on that one wall with hints of yellows with warm grays so it isn't as severe as just the plain yellow. Wallpaper is totally back in, and you can find hip and inexpensive kinds almost anywhere. As for the walls that are currently stark white- I would suggest a warm gray again instead.I love the fabrics/drapery ideas studio 10001, and iplay10s gave you. That would warm it up quickly and help tie it all in a bit better. For a warm and inviting rug- I would do a round to go with the table. Maybe try a creamy/gray shag rug to add some depth and comfort.
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Dan Davis Design
  • Debp
    Actually I like your colors. Bright and cheery. I would paint the window wall a turquoise to blend with your curtains. But, that is just me and I love lots of fun color! Don't make it boring whatever you do
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Debp
  • januarisun
    Darzy, as always you are spot on w/ painting the bench yellow! I thought the bench looked too country, no impact, no wow... but if it was yellow?!! Now we're cooking w/ gas! LOL...
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): januarisun
  • mrsfrida
    Автор
    Thank you! I love your ideas!
  • groveraxle
    I love this room. It's fresh and fun. And I disagree with everyone about the curtain color, though they do need to be unleashed and allowed to drop to the floor. I think you need to bring some of the reddish orange to the table and send some of the teal-y blue to a rug. This might not be The Rug, but it'll give you an idea of what I mean.
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): groveraxle
  • rosecottagehome
    Your choice of colors are great. I agree with the suggestions for pattern and pulling the colors you have onto the table, onto the rug and you could have great fun painting that bench and making some/ buying some throw pillows with patterned yellow along with teal or soft gray like your cabinet and orange. Ignore the purple and pink cushions on the picture below and think instead of the colors you have. Great job!

Hammett · Еще
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): rosecottagehome
  • PRO
    Meritage Homes
    Here's a similar idea that plays with the yellow color. Hope this helps you!
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Meritage Homes
  • groveraxle
    Your entry could use more presence. I'd like to see a funky runner there. Lower the art so it relates to the bench.
  • rosecottagehome
    That rug is fantastic in front of the bench. Love it! Has all your colors in it Frida. Nice suggestion groveraxle.
  • Crooked6p
    love your perceptions groveraxie. the floor and door definitely appreciate and work well with the yellow tones. I find the browns very domestic and natural. The yellow brings them back to life. I'm gonna upset the growing consensus and suggest that a more greenish tone to the curtains is more earthy like the adobe, yellow, and browns.

On the other hand, groveraxie, that runner is stunning!
  • Crooked6p
    definitely agree with debbie pearson, the window wall color should tie to the curtains
  • Crooked6p
    finally. i am actually cool with the table and floor being one and don't see the need to separate them with a rug. I might suggest seat cushions that ties together the subtlties of the adobe ... perhaps like the runner?
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Crooked6p
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    I also like the colours. Can you add a ceiling fixture? That would definitely complete the room more. Also, replacing the chairs would change the whole design of the room. Here are some ideas.....(don't mind the grey chair).
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • mrsfrida
    Автор
    I aslo love the rug (and your cool photo editor too). I will change the curtains, like you suggested, and maybe just introduce some teal accents with something small on the dresser and in the rug. But paint the bench? I know oaks is outdated but what color for the bench are you guys thinking of?
  • m3459
    Groveraxle, may I just say that you are the bomb!!!
  • PRO
    Article
    I think the dining room table but it might be too dark, have you ever thought about switching to a glass table?
    A glass table would really allow that yellow wall to POP (great colour by the way).

Something like the Scott, Gibson or Lin dining table from Bryght would look great in your dining room.
    For a closer look check out the website
    www.bryght.com
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    Painting the bench is a good idea but I suggest black to go with the door and the frame. Even though this is one room I would treat the entrance and the dining room as two separate spaces (complimenting each other without being direct matches). You could reupholster in a black and white fabric or a fun one like this. IKEA has great prices per yard. I don't really like the idea of blue curtains. You already have two primary colours (orange and yellow) so a neutral (grey) would be better.
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • PRO
    Julie Dailey Art
    I agree with changing out the curtains to a more neutral tone. I think the room is missing a pattern to tie it together, either with a rug or large piece of art over the furniture. Best of luck!
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Julie Dailey Art
  • mrsfrida
    Автор
    Lydia, I couldn't wait until you say something about the fabrics for the bench! The entrance door is actualy dark brown so is the frame which makes me think that bench should also be dark brown, correct? Love the fabrics you suggested!
  • tanyaoz
    Loving yellow! In the rooms that catch my eye there always seems to a good dose of graphic black and white too. I would suggest replacing your curtains with a strong b&w geometric.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    In that case choose a dark brown/black like the door and frame. The second fabric is very mod! :)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    I like it. You have bold colors in other rooms too. Paint surrounding walls a very soft gray, try samples first. Get a area rug, with the yellow, gray, and creams. On windows a more tailored panels on ends, not tied back. In a gray woven fabric. Add a black bamboo shade under it.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    On rug 7 ft round. Go contemporary.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    This type of accent table next to the bench would be practical and fun!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Stack pictures with a 2" between them. Start 6" from chest top and go up. Not across. On end of chest add a tall 15-18" round lamp in white with silver metal around it. I saw some at TJMax.
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Remove vase, and group candles together on end. Add big silver bowl to table gill with green apples.
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    Oriental Weavers
    Bold colors paired with rustic furniture is always beautiful!! This space is a good home for our Kaleidoscope rug collection... Antiqued yet modern aesthetic. Check out our collection here: http://www.houzz.com/projects/150870/Kaleidoscope

Our colorful Pantone rugs could really add some flavor here as well:
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/288340/PANTONE-UNIVERSE

I've attached some favorites below. Enjoy!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Love the Ikat rug.
  • Bridget
    For me, the yellow draws the eye, instead of seeing a warm friendly room, you see the "wall". May be a soft yellow, instead off the stop sign yellow. Just a suggest, this is your home and should do what makes you happy.
  • Robin Goldberg
    I think yellow is great! The exact color yellow may be more toward the green - chartreuse? something more playful that comes toward you.
  • janeinfo
    I am very late to this conversation, but have you thought of painting your table, chairs and buffet white? Then use yellow and white drapes? I think if you are going to use such strong colors on the walls, you need lots of white to tone it down a notch. I haven't read all the other posts so maybe this idea has been suggested and you already decided against it.
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): janeinfo
  • PRO
    Kimball Starr Interior Design
    Mrs Frida, it looks like the yellow color is a crowd-pleaser, myself included. Whatever color you choose, yellow included, I'd add cushions to your dining chairs of the chosen color to tie in the wall color. Easy to find cushions at Pier 1 or Pottery Barn that have corner ties that allows you to secure them to the chair leg are a great inexpensive option.
    mrsfrida поблагодарил(а): Kimball Starr Interior Design