Houzz Logo Print
mimola

House numbers for curb appeal - ideas, please!

mimola
Дней назад – 16
Последние изменения: Дней назад – 16

We're near the tail end of an exterior upgrade project at our 1950 Florida ranch home that's included a new front door, complete paint job, porch, walkway, and driveway pavers, and landscaping. Now for the finishing touch: house numbers. They're already on the mailbox, so I'm not looking for advice on function so much as suggestions for style, size, color, and placement to make an intentional design statement and add to curb appeal. I've also included a photo of the aged bronze door hardware, since it's hard to see in the house shot. Our house number is 255. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Комментарии: 33

• callirhoe123
    Дней назад – 16

I'd look for numbers to match the hardware on the door and place them to the left of the small window or below it. Big enough to see from the street but not too big.

mimola поблагодарил(а): callirhoe123
  • PRO
    mimola поблагодарил(а): Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Esther-B, Zone 7a
    Дней назад – 15
    Последние изменения: Дней назад – 15

I am a known cat lover. I found the absolute cutest house numbers mounted under a walking cat. They have many more variations on this. I've gotten uncountable compliments on my cat house numbers.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/711578336/custom-cat-house-number-sign?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=cat+house+numbers&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&pro=1&sts=1&content_source=e83cc0e10eb02ea16b37af60ce1188a0fb3d4009%253A711578336&search_preloaded_img=1&organic_search_click=1

I mounted my black cat house numbers onto a piece of white plexiglass so it would show up well against the red brick of my house. You could mount those cat house numbers on any sort of sign that sticks into the ground. I used epoxy.

mimola поблагодарил(а): Esther-B, Zone 7a
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    Дней назад – 15

I like Celery’s suggestions. Vertical numbers seem just right for your very charming home. It looks like a storybook house. 🥰

mimola поблагодарил(а): littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    Дней назад – 15

Usually, the numbers are near the door, but your porch columns look like they would impede seeing the house numbers. Vertical house numbers are hard for some people to read.

You could consider an address plaque that is fastened to the porch column.

I might add shutters to the window on the right.

mimola поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    Дней назад – 15

I'd add them just under the small window to the right of the door. And I think they'd look better horizontally installed, not vertically.

Something like these in a black finish would be easy to read:

Modern Meets Boho · Еще

mimola поблагодарил(а): Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    Дней назад – 15

JT7 posted what I was thinking. A Boulder with house number and positioned so you could place a solar flood on it so easily see at night. A nice finishing touch to your great work on this home! Love the exterior color you selected.

mimola поблагодарил(а): Flo Mangan
  • mimola
    Автор
    Дней назад – 14

@Celery: Thanks for the link; a lot of nice possibilities there. Where do you think it would look best to place vertical numbers on the house?

• mimola
    Автор
    Дней назад – 14

@Esther-B, Zone 7a: These are so cute! Unfortunately, while I am a cat lover, my husband is not. So I don't think that discussion would go very far . . . :-(

• mimola
    Автор
    Дней назад – 14

@ littlebug Zone 5 Missouri: We are definitely considering vertical numbers and could use help deciding where they would look best on the house. Do you have a suggestion?

• mimola
    Автор
    Дней назад – 14

@BeverlyFLADeziner: I agree that the porch columns would obstruct numbers in the traditional spot by the door. An address plaque is an interesting idea that we'll look into further. Thanks for the shutter suggestion. Adding shutters to that window would definitely add visual balance, but they would impede access to the pegs for our fabric hurricane panels.

• mimola
    Автор
    Дней назад – 14

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors: I like those numbers, they're simple and modern and would seem to go well with this MCM house. Instead of black, how about aged bronze to go with the door hardware?

• mimola
    Автор
    Дней назад – 14

@ JT7abcz: Glad you like what we've done so far. Thanks for making our still-growing-in lawn look so lush in your photos, heh heh. There is actually a small tree planted where you inserted the tall tree, which is supposed to grow to window height or higher. But it's growing so slowly I'm not sure I'll see it in my lifetime . . . The blue bench you added looks wonderful. We're now seriously thinking of adding one there or maybe a couple of Adirondack chairs in the same blue as the front door. And I love the boulder idea! The only thing is it seems a bit New Englandish, sort of out of place with the native Florida landscaping. But wouldn't it be cool if we could do it in a Florida stone like limestone or coquina?

• mimola
    Автор
    Дней назад – 14

@Flo Mangan: Thanks for your compliment on our project and so glad you like the exterior color because we really struggled over it. Usually we're not so bold in our color choices, so this was really stepping out! Here's a "before" pic with the old color and front door and before the new porch, walkway and landscaping.

• RedRyder
    Дней назад – 14

First of all, your efforts have definitely paid off. The house is completely adorable and looks well loved. I’m sure people are commenting when walking past it.

I like dark numbers on a front post. Find some stylized ones and place them as Beverly suggested. Keep in mind that your house numbers are for EMERGENCY PERSONNEL. You want your house to be found easily by them.

mimola поблагодарил(а): RedRyder
  • Kendrah
    Дней назад – 14

Excellent point RedRyder. Where is the mailbox and is it something that those actually looking for your house in even of emergency would be able to find? If so, and if you really don't need the numbers for function, then I would skip them altogther. I don't think any of the suggestions thus far look all that nice, nor are they functional. So why not just keep your lovely new design as is?

mimola поблагодарил(а): Kendrah
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    Дней назад – 14

Yep! The bronze would work, too. (Sorry, didn't catch the bronze finish on the first read-through.)

mimola поблагодарил(а): Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • wdccruise
    Дней назад – 14

If your house has a mailbox, put BIG numbers there. Put high-contrast numbers on the post near the door; that's where people look. It's infuriating that homeowners are not making their house numbers easily visible while they're receiving more package deliveries than ever.

mimola поблагодарил(а): wdccruise
  • Kendrah
    Дней назад – 14

I have a really hard time computing vertical numbers. Maybe it is just my brain. Anyone else?

mimola поблагодарил(а): Kendrah
  • wdccruise
    Дней назад – 14

@kendrah: "Maybe it is just my brain."

Yup.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    Дней назад – 14

You've been given some great suggestions. The vertical ones on the column are the worst.

Lots of people have dyslexia. Do you want to make reading the numbers harder for people??

You can get these at Home Depot

mimola поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
  • la_la Girl
    Дней назад – 14

Love the color you went with - so fabulous!

mimola поблагодарил(а): la_la Girl
  • wdccruise
    Дней назад – 14

BeverlyFLADeziner "Lots of people have dyslexia. Do you want to make reading the numbers harder for people??"

Provide any data you may have that arranging digits vertically -- as they are on millions of houses -- has anything to do with dyslexia.

"Dyslexia is a learning disorder that involves difficulty reading due to problems identifying speech sounds and learning how they relate to letters and words (decoding). Also called a reading disability, dyslexia is a result of individual differences in areas of the brain that process language." -- Mayo clinic

• RedRyder
    Дней назад – 14

I had my house numbers on my 1925 colonial and no one complained they couldn’t read them. I don’t love screwing numbers into the siding or stucco of a home. Most Americans can read vertical numbers.

Emergency personnel would be more likely to be looking at house numbers and matching descriptions (brick-house-red-door; white-house-black-shutters, etc.) before looking at mailboxes.

mimola поблагодарил(а): RedRyder
  • jayapple21
    Дней назад – 13

What about cutting a thin piece of wood (can be plywood or masonite) the same width as the small front window and the same height as the thickness of the porch pillar - something like 8x20 inches or whatever the real measurements are? Paint it the "trim white" and attach the black numerals that Beverly shows. Mount the plaque about 6-8 inches below the small front window (as seen in Beverly's illustration above) but it would have a white backing to tie in with the house trim.

mimola поблагодарил(а): jayapple21
  • happyleg
    Дней назад – 13

Numbers are very important to find you and I would choose black numbers and they need to be big that you can see them from the street you either can put it on the pole but might not be that noticeable another nice place to put it would be a spotlight under that small window to the right of the door and place the numbers there and then it was shine up on the numbers you can always see it at night and you should put some on your mailbox too either the metal or the wood part of the post would be nice for both places cuz some people don't look at every detail and then they miss your number I had that happen at my place I said it's on the fence and it's on the house above the door

mimola поблагодарил(а): happyleg
  • happyleg
    Дней назад – 13

Oh sorry jay I didn't read your post until after I posted mine and then I was going to look at the rest of the stuff but I read what he or she wanted for their house so I was excited about posting my answer but that is a good idea Jay

• mimola
    Автор
    Дней назад – 11

Thanks, everyone, for all the thoughtful comments and suggestions. For those who asked about the mailbox, below is a photo. The numbers are on both sides, so vehicles coming from both directions can see them. Based on a couple of the most recent comments, I made mock-ups (below) of dark numbers on a white plaque and tried them out horizontally under the small window and vertically on the right side of the house. What do you think?

• k8cd
    Дней назад – 11
    Последние изменения: Дней назад – 11

Love that your mailbox matches the house! Such a happy color!

The numbers near the corner will be difficult to see whenever a car is parked there. But I also think that under the window is difficult to read. They seem like part of the trim instead of standing out. If the goal is for them to stand out, on the column or a boulder seem to be the best bet.

mimola поблагодарил(а): k8cd
  • skmom
    Дней назад – 11

I really like them on the corner of the house, to the right of the large window. I think it looks nicely balanced there. Your house looks awesome and I love the cheerful colors you chose!

mimola поблагодарил(а): skmom
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    Дней назад – 11

Love the mailbox! The first place I look for house numbers, aside from the mailbox or curb, is near the front door. I dunno, maybe that was common in the area I grew up. I do like the larger numbers.

mimola поблагодарил(а): Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • happyleg
    Дней назад – 11

I'd like your mailbox it matches your house in the numbers are black it really stands out

Sponsored