Houzz Logo Print
cameron_atkinson

Sconces for whimsical mirror?

Cameron Prigge
в прошлом месяце
Последние изменения: в прошлом месяце

What kind if sconces would you do for this mirror?! It is for a powder room!

Edit: this is for a completely new space so we can put the lights anywhere! :) Trying to keep it under $100/sconce. Here is the vanity it will be over.

Комментарии: 23

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    в прошлом месяце

A couple questions. What budget do you want to stay in? Do you have electric junction boxes now. Where are they? How much room on the wall with mirror up. Very cute mirror. The biggest problem selecting sconces is ensuring there is sufficient room for baseplate of sconce with mirror on the wall.

Cameron Prigge поблагодарил(а): Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    в прошлом месяце

Here are a few ideas but you could also go very simple too. It will largely depend on the space and your budget.

• bichonbabe
    в прошлом месяце

I would look for something very simple and streamlined as to not compete with the mirror .

Cameron Prigge поблагодарил(а): bichonbabe
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    в прошлом месяце

Can you help by posting dimensions of space where mirror and sconces will be placed please. Need that to try to give you “workable” options. Here are a few simpler looks if you choose.

• RedRyder
    в прошлом месяце

Love the second sconce posted by Flo. The mirror is a showstopper, so keep the lighting as simple as possible. The metals matching would be the only criteria for me.

Cameron Prigge поблагодарил(а): RedRyder
  • liasch
    в прошлом месяце

OP said her budget is $100 a sconce. So most of these are considerably over that. The vanity is fairly simple so I think if the sconces are also fancy the wall is going to be over the top… I would go for something a bit art nouveau with curves to match the feeling of the mirror but not too ornate.

Cameron Prigge поблагодарил(а): liasch
  • liasch
    в прошлом месяце

Maybe with a leaf theme.

• lisaam
    в прошлом месяце

What a sweet mirror. My first thought was simple sconces but some of the botanical styles shared here would be charming in a powder room. Do you have a thought yet on paint color, maybe something greenish to go with the craftsman vanity and woodlands mirror? Love the squirrels!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    в прошлом месяце

Cameron- sorry your post didn’t fully display til minutes ago. Houzz system hick ups. At that budget, don’t you need a pair, or one over top?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    в прошлом месяце

Do you need a pair? The last ones posted by bichonbabe would work well. Can you post source bichonbabe? Thanks. Nice pic

• Cameron Prigge
    Автор
    в прошлом месяце

@bichonbabe ha! I already picked out those exact sconces for the bedroom that is next to this powder room.

I had not thought of NOT using sconces. All my bathrooms have lights above the mirror and the shadows it casts are not ideal. This room will also have two recessed lights.

• Cameron Prigge
    Автор
    в прошлом месяце

@lisaam I love green! The room does not have any windows so I was thinking white paneling on the lower half.

• Cameron Prigge
    Автор
    в прошлом месяце

Quite the deal from Home Depot!

• Kendrah
    в прошлом месяце

This is going to be a great room and I already want to see the rest of the house.

@bichonbabe nailed it! It works in this world you've created but isn't a cliche woodlands theme. I think brass is they way to go and it is fine that your drawer pulls on the chest aren't brass. But, if you are looking for an alternate because this is already in your bedroom, consider a similar look.

This is on sale for $76. I really like Thomas O'Brien lights. They are classic but not retro and always have great proportions.

https://www.visualcomfort.com/baker-one-light-wall-bath-sconce-4187201/?selected_product=4187201-848#1661=47161&2461=78901

Cameron Prigge поблагодарил(а): Kendrah
  • Cameron Prigge
    Автор
    в прошлом месяце

@RedRyder Yes agreed the metals need to match! The existing hardware on the vanity is sort of a gunmetal(?). I don't hate it, but I don’t love it. I’m not sure what would look best, plus need to coordinate faucet. I tried a black faucet and it was too conspicuous. Brass seemed to get lost on the white marble.

• John 9a
    в прошлом месяце

I like some of the options folks have proposed for you but don't exclude hanging options. I didn't like the wall-mounted options I have seen and am going with hanging pendants on either side of the mirror. You can dress up, or entirely change, the globes to complement your mirror. Clearly this space is still under construction but you can see where it's going.

Cameron Prigge поблагодарил(а): John 9a
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    в прошлом месяце

A antique brass on sconces are best. Keep hardware on vanity because it is very style specific. Add this faucet.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    в прошлом месяце

If you like the gold sconce then I recommend doing antique gold faucet set that fits your 3 hole countertop.

• bichonbabe
    в прошлом месяце

I would keep the faucet more simple , clean and modern. Is the vanity a done deal? Something more modern would be better IMHO. I love the juxtaposition of modern decor and old world style like the mirror .

• RedRyder
    в прошлом месяце

I would leave the vanity hardware as is. No one is going to even GLANCE at that with the mirror you chose!

I am replacing an overhead powder room light with two sconces as well. I don’t think overhead lights are ever flattering. However, if you choose to do hanging pendants, they will work well if they are hung low enough to mimic the height of sconces. The idea is to avoid the unflattering shadows these lights can create.

I redid a large bathroom in my previous house with the help of a friend who was a designer. Her rule of thumb for bathroom lights was to keep the sconces at approximately eye level. Not necessarily MY eye level, since I’m 5’2”, but her point was to not have them shining down on people. Somewhere in the 6’ high range I think. (I expect the pros to correct me if I’m off on this number.)

Go super simple with the lights. Flo’s mock up is really pretty and makes the mirror center stage.

Cameron Prigge поблагодарил(а): RedRyder
  • Cameron Prigge
    Автор
    в прошлом месяце

@Flo Mangan I love that mock up!!! Thank you! I am going to try out that faucet with some brass sconces with white shades that @kendrah linked.

@bichonbabe Yes I love the vanity and got it for a great deal so I am married to it! I’ve tried a more modern faucet and it fell flat. Might have looked better in a different finish!

• freedomplace1
    в прошлом месяце

The vanity is very nice - and so is the mirror, love the birdies.

I suggest a sconce with a bit of black detail. I like this Possini sconce with the mirror, and it’s at a great price point right now.

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/possini-euro-darin-19-inch-high-modern-luxe-black-and-brass-wall-sconce__71c07.html

Cameron Prigge поблагодарил(а): freedomplace1
Sponsored