Houzz Logo Print
nlj45231

Help, how many ceiling fans for ~ 18 by 23 foot great room

nlj 45231
Месяцев назад: 2

We are building a new house, and electrician is working on the lighting. Our great room is 23 feet 4 " by 19 feet 1 inch with a 10 foot ceiling. There will be an enteretainment center built along most of the long wall and the other side is open to the kitchen. The 6 foot 6" opening is our front door entry hallway. We are planning to use the area at the bottom of the picture as a "hallway". We will have recessed and floor lighting. How many ceiling fans, one or two? We are planning to center the fan(s) and lighting with the whole room (versus with the entertainment center wall). I will be back in the future regarding ideas for furniture as we are doing all new. Thanks in advance for ideas

Комментарии: 15

• T T

I would do one large 70"+ fan.

nlj 45231 поблагодарил(а): T T
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C

Minimum 60" blade size or larger as TT indicated

nlj 45231 поблагодарил(а): GN Builders L.L.C
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect

How will the furniture be arranged? How will the room be used?

nlj 45231 поблагодарил(а): Mark Bischak, Architect
  • chispa
    Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 2

I have a similar sized family room and didn't do any fans, but spent more on a balanced and zoned HVAC system! Just make sure the recessed lights and the fans are placed so that you don't get a strobe effect when both are running.

Ideally you would have worked with your architect during the design and had an Electrical & Reflected Ceiling Plan, as part of your Building Plan Set, with all of this worked out already. How did you get an electrical quote without all that information available upfront?

nlj 45231 поблагодарил(а): chispa
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect

There is a flexible option.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area

We have one arge, 72 inch fan. Double ceiling height. Pay attention to cfms.

• nlj 45231
    Автор

Thanks everyone; we are thinking of a 65 " fan; just second guessing whether we should have 2 (and plan to keep the ceiling lights far enough away from the fan to avoid strobbing). Planning to arrange furniture in a combination of sofa, loveseat(s) and chairs with coffee table, end table with lamps in a U shape centered with the entertainment center . We haven't decided how we're arranging and haven't purchased furniture yet. Our builder allows changes, just payment for changes. Appreciate the inputs

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect

Is it a "great room" that has an area where food is prepared, an area where food is consumed, and an area for lounging; or is it a living room that a draftsman labeled "great room" to give their client the illusion of grandeur?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

We have an 18' x 24' cathedral ceiling family room with antique beams. Two 54" fans work well on 18" long poles to circulate the air in any season.

Here's one end of the room, there's another at the other end.

Fireplace mantel · Еще

nlj 45231 поблагодарил(а): Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • David Cary

In my experience, you don't need a ceiling fan in a "great" room. Yes the name is poor. I suppose the need or desire for a ceiling fan is quite climate dependent. They are very common in my area - SE. I like them in bedrooms. We had one in our last great room and we never turned it on beyond carpet cleaning days - and it was an area rug.

The aesthetic value of a nice chandelier is much higher. Ceilings fans are overdone IMO.

If you use HVAC to the right temp for comfort, not sure why you need a ceiling fan. It is also very interesting how people don't like forced air HVAC but put in ceiling fans.

In the West, I could see a greater need for them.

I find that 2 fans just doesn't look that good except perhaps in a very rectangular room which this is definitely not.

• nlj 45231
    Автор

Thanks for the information. Diana, your room is beautiful! Electrician has the recessed lights wired in and has the location of the fan identified. I'm comfortable now with one large fan (60-65"). If we had vaulted ceilings I would probably have gone with two smaller fans. I love the look of chandeliers; however, in our current house, we used our ceiling fans on days that were warm in additon to our A/C. Room will be used as our living room, family room, gathering room, TV room; no dining. It's open from our kitchen which includes a large island with seating and an eating nook; also a separate dining room.

• dani_m08

Diana - the wood above your FP mantel looks amazing - I’ve never seen it installed like that before - unique and very pretty!

• vinmarks

We did 2. They are always on including in the winter.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Thank you, dani_m08. It's raised panels made of antique heart pine, and was done a long time ago. All the wood panels, beams, floor, and trim are antique heart pine as well. We love it.

Sponsored