Houzz Logo Print
ohagas

Water damaged kitchen island

ohagas
Месяцев назад: 2
Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 2

Hi All
Some water got spilled on our kitchen floor and sat overnight. It seeped into the melamine board which has swollen, as you can see in the pictures. Just wondering if this could be repaired without replacing it? Would a hot iron or similar be worth a try? Here's a link to the photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZDNcuKSFWhrE8ddh6
Thanks for any advice

Комментарии: 14

• PRO
    Ultima Building Group

Hello,

Sorry to say, you would need to replace it.

There should of been silicone around the bottom of it.

Kind Regards,

Chris

ohagas поблагодарил(а): Ultima Building Group
  • dreamer

It is a shame your island doesn’t have a kick board at the bottom, then that would be the only component that needed replacing. Yes, entire side of island will need replacing.

ohagas поблагодарил(а): dreamer
  • dreamer

A cheaper option would be to install new MDF panels over the existing side of island, once the existing MDF has dried out completely.

• ohagas
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 2

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, I think silicone as a minimum would have a good idea. Not sure why the builder skipped that.

I did think about fitting a new board over the existing one. I just thought it would look rather odd at the edges if I did this though.

• dreamer

Why would it look odd if you have a board that is finished on all edges? As per the edge of cabinet panels that I posted earlier.

• dreamer

Or you could use VJ paneling …..lots of options without having to remove that entire panel.

• ohagas
    Автор

The existing panel edge is has yellowed a bit. I was thinking another panel on top of this would look odd when viewed from the side...

• dreamer

Paint it….

• ohagas
    Автор

Yep, good idea. Thanks!

• bigreader

You can get new white iron on edging from Bunnings if you can peel off the old yellow without more damage.

• PRO
    Compass Kitchens

Hello ohagas

This really is a simple process to replace the damaged back panel (including new edge strips).

Contact a local cabinetmaker, Find out the colour and brand of the panel board. Unscrew the panel from inside the cupboard. Get a new panel made and then install it.

And if it is worth it, and you have it, then put a water damage claim into your insurance before you start.

Hope this helps,Malcolm.

ohagas поблагодарил(а): Compass Kitchens
  • dreamer

And at the same time I would install quarter round or skirting boards around the island to complete the look.

• bigreader

Pop the cover plate off and you’ll see that the hole isn’t as big as the plate. You could use the old as a template but you’ll have some leeway under the cover.