Houzz Logo Print
m_roussakis

Fireblocking in my basement

M R
Месяцев назад: 2

I am finishing my basement myself. Learning a lot along the way. Just found out about fire blocks….AFTER I started building….and my situation seems to make them a little more difficult to add.

I have spray foam on my foundation walls. The foam is not evenly sprayed, so building my wall frame flush against it was impossible . As such Theres a gap between my spray foam and my studs .

As it is now, if i drywall it, there would be a massive gap behind the drywall for fire to run rampant.

I’m thinking my only solution would be to just screw L brackets to my studs and then attach plywood as a backer board to the backside of my frame. This would totally enclose the interior of my wall from the rest of that gap near the foundation.

here’s what I’m working with:

Комментарии: 3

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C

This is your typical fire block detail to meet the code.

At the top at this point, you can install blocking on top of the plate or use Thermafiber mineral wool insulation to protect the ceiling cavity and you can use drywall 10' OC between the stud and foundation and foam along the edge.

Good luck

• M R
    Автор

Thanks, but the example you sent me assumes a more traditional wall frame which is flush against the wall. I have a large gap as well as spray foam all over my wall.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C

It doesn't matter, done the same way more or less. Not every wall is against the foundation, you have sewer pipes and other obstructions but it's done the same way.

Sponsored