Houzz Logo Print
mia_smyth

Should I pay to have the fireplace raised?

Mia Smyth
Месяцев назад: 2
Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 2

Hello, I have a dilemma! My contractor framed this area to put the fireplace. After the fireplace was installed, I realized he should have put it on at least a 6" platform. I measured from the top of the glass to the lowest part where the Mantle will be, and it measures at least 19". It will be a big hassle to take out and shut gas lines off and reframe it on a raised platform and put it back in. I realize it's hard to tell by my photo but if you can just visualize the fireplace mantle 19" above the top of the glass. The black will not be showing it will be covered with stone. This is a semi linear fireplace so its lower than most. 24" from floor to top of glass. The mantle will start at the lower horizonal piece of wood. and the ceilings are 8'. Would you pay to raise it or leave it? It is the Bellingham Kozy heat fireplace 44" wide glass only. and 24" High to the top of the glass. We are going to dry wall the beam.

Thanks in advance!! Everything I read says aesthetically the mantle should be between 12 to 14 " above the top of the glass. My contractor says he does not install fireplaces so I have to find someone else.

Is it worth all the trouble and expense?

Комментарии: 15

• PRO
    Whitewash Studio Architecture

I think if it bothers you now it will bother you more later. I did some photoshop to see what you think and the ran that through an ai to clean it up a bit. Ignore the items that ai changed in the room to the right. I hope this gives you some kind of visual to see if it will be worth the move.

Mia Smyth поблагодарил(а): Whitewash Studio Architecture
  • arcy_gw

I'm not sure why you are talking about the mantle. In the rendering above the fire box is off the floor and in your reality it is on the floor. That's the visual I would care about. Yes I think you have no choice but to raise it. Be sure 6" is enough. A hearth is not the modern thing but it does/did have a safety purpose. One does not want a little one or anyone for that matter to put their hands on the glass of a gas fireplace. FUNCTION over looks is the smart way to go.

Mia Smyth поблагодарил(а): arcy_gw
  • millworkman

" I called some experts and they said it will cost at minimum $1,500 to take it out and shut gas lines off and reframe it on a raised platform. "

Are you going to have "some experts" or your contractor uninstall and build the platform? His is the price that will matter, not "some experts". May be more and may be less but in reality calling people and asking over the phone is no guarantee they will be correct.

Mia Smyth поблагодарил(а): millworkman
  • jackowskib

Yes, have it raised :)

Mia Smyth поблагодарил(а): jackowskib
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects

Are you wanting a hearth? Since you are talking about installing a mantle (which is a more traditional feature of a fireplace) you might want a hearth as well. As the fireplace is framed now you would only be able to have a flush hearth. If you want a raised heart the fireplace will need to be raised to accommodate it. I would talk directly with your contractor as other have suggested. His will be the price you pay and it may vary from what others have quoted you. Good luck!

Mia Smyth поблагодарил(а): Norwood Architects
  • Maureen

I’m wondering how much 6 inches will actually change it. Also, a lot depends on how you are finishing/mantle, as they could help or hinder.

Mia Smyth поблагодарил(а): Maureen
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

With a ceiling height that low, I'd leave the hearth where it is.

Mia Smyth поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
  • palimpsest

Traditionally, fireboxes and hearths were at the floor.

Mia Smyth поблагодарил(а): palimpsest
  • Mia Smyth
    Автор

Wow! what a world of knowledge out there! I'm so happy for your help. I cant find anyone ho will do the job. I live in Fallbeook CA. I did check with the manufacturer and they said its perfectly safe to leave the box on the floor because it is self Ventilating.

• Mia Smyth
    Автор

Milworkman I cant find anyone to even do it! I would like it raised. It looks great in the above picture.

• Mia Smyth
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 2

Whitewash Studio Architecture,

I love your rendering. I cant seem to find anyone here who wants the job. Keep in mind the black portion above the glass will be covered as well. Just the glass shows on these fireplaces. It measures 44 Wide. and 24 tall glass only. I really like the way it looks raised the 6".

• Mia Smyth
    Автор

Loving all the photos. Very helpful.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

I don't know what your design plans are, but either way works just fine.

you could opt to do a hearth that is flush w/your flooring

basically something like these

this one is a little hard to see, but it's flush to the floor w/black stone hearth, flush to the wood.

I like the black marble surround w/the mantle surround. you don't have the windows, but the T&G groove paneling is nice above, w/the mirror and accessories. you have a short ceiling, so try not to do anything too large above.

similar design but a bit more country-ish. I like the larger mantle surround

Here's the visual on how it's built. if you like a thicker mantle on top, do a reclaimed beam or something similar.

you could even do a thin brick veneer to get this look

more traditional

This is a tile surround. I like a nice zellige tile

If you raise it, you'd have more of this look

some other photoshops

Mia Smyth поблагодарил(а): Beth H. :
  • Mia Smyth
    Автор

Beth H! You are amazing. I love all your designs. The fireplace is 44" wide and 28" from the floor to the top of the glass. I think if I build it up with stone or tile, I can get the look I'm desiring. I love the photos. Thanks