Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_ehman

Brown Couch in Family Room

Jeffrey Ehman
Месяцев назад: 4

I have a brown couch in my family room and I think it makes our room look smaller and darker. Thinking about getting a light grey one instead. Before we go out and buy a new couch, I’m wondering if there’s anything else we can do (cover, pillows, blankets etc) that look very nice. We have new wood floors (French oak with a natural tone) being installed next week and would like something more modern.

Комментарии: 8

• jck910

Are you painting the walls? I would get a more streamlined style sofa and 2 chairs. NO gray. That color has passed. With hard wood floors you will probably need an area rug so I would start with a rug.

• jyyanks
    Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 4

If you want to keep the couch, you can pair with a modern area rug and coordination non-brown pillows and artwork.
    I vote to change the couch to a different color but the color would depend on the tone of your wood and walls. Is it warm or cool? Gray is generally more cool while your walls look warm which would only work if you tie it together with a rug that has both in it like this one.

• zealart

Agree to wait until the floors are in. In the meantime, I'd remove the loose brown pillows and replace them with non brown ones. Your couch also looks like it could use more stuffing on the back pillows, which would make it look less sloppy. The ottoman color doesn't seem to go with it either. It feels too cool toned with the couch, wall, and carpet.

• chispa
    Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 4

If the sofas are still in good condition I would keep them for a while longer, specially as it looks like you still have young kids. Once the new floors go in, I would look for a bright/light/eclectic area rug to give the room some life.

230 West 79th Street, Apt. 121 · Еще

Living Rooms · Еще

Hope Ranch · Еще

• PRO
    lisedv

Can you show a sample of the colour of your new wood floors?

• PRO
    Kimberlee Marie Interiors
    в прошлом месяце

You might consider painting the walls and waiting until the floors are in before making a decision.

Ravensdale New Build · Еще

Ravensdale New Build · Еще

• PRO
    Randy Trainor
    Дней назад – 24

Once the floors are in, you should be able to get a better idea of it the brown couches with work in the space. Have you looked at repainting the room another color? Maybe try adding a rug with an accent color that would go with brown? You could easily add white or cream pillows and blankets to the couch along with a light colored rug.

Mt. Washington Ski House · Еще

Alpine Ski Home · Еще

Sponsored