Houzz Logo Print
smellymel222

What colour door and settle a disagreement!

smellymel222
Месяцев назад: 4

Hi all,

After working on the inside of my home, next year i’m planning on starting on the outside. We plan to spruce up the porch area (not too sure how yet) and ’green’ the garden a little but we can’t decide on the new front door.

We want to go away from white and was thinking a light grey or olive green but we are not too sure what will go with the bricks. Also, should we keep to the similar style or go for something modern?

The disagreement? We are not changing the windows so are staying white so the disagreement is should the door surround be white (to match the windows) or whatever colour we decide to have the front door?

Thank you

Комментарии: 15

• Daisy England

A mid/pale green. I think of olive as being a darker green so would go lighter than that. Definitely don’t leave it white but be conscious of the fact that you also have a garage door on the front of the house that you might want to paint the same colour.

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): Daisy England
  • Isla Cherry

Olive green, door + frame. You already have quite a bit of grey and it will be a good contrast. You will need a potted olive or bay tree in the corner to complement it.

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): Isla Cherry
  • smellymel222
    Автор

Thank you. I am trying to de-grey it a bit and will try and spruce up the garden a little in the spring. Good point about the garage door. Do you think the garage door should always match the colour of the front door?

• chloeloves

Have you considered bringing the position of the door forward in line with exterior wall? It looks a little lost back there and as you have the overhang porch it would make sense to have the front door directly under it. You might gain some room internally as well?

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): chloeloves
  • Jen

I would (almost) always match a door frame to the colour of the windows, rather than to the colour of the door itself.

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): Jen
  • siobhanmcgee90

I think you should do the door and doorframe and garage door in the same colour. A few large pots with bay or olive trees would smarten up the entryway while you decide on planting and how to deal with the driveway longer term.

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): siobhanmcgee90
  • PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre

I would tend to go more "eucalyptus" than olive - olive tends to have a little too much yellow in it, whereas eucalyptus has bluer hues with a touch more pink for warmth. Do both your door and garage door too.

To really spruce up the front which is a fairly plain frontage (very much "of its time"), I would put in a fast growing clematis (or two) that you trail up and across the frontage. A fast growing Montana such as "Mayleen" will rapidly give you fantastic foliage and a good blast of flower in summer. A fragrant climbing rose will also reward you handsomely.

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
  • smellymel222
    Автор

Thanks for the comments. Seems the green is the more popular choice which i agree with as I like grey but I do think the house needs brightening up a little. And will agree with some potted plants, I’ve currently got a xmas tree there with some lights on and it looks really nice so some potted plants will be done in the spring.

• Sonia

I think green would go beautifully with the brick and I do like a garage to match. Agate Grey is a nice, quite pale grey with a hint of green which is very smart, but there are other brands available of course! It’s the first picture below, but maybe a bit too grey? It is traditional to keep the door frame white, but I don’t really know why. I think a more modern style would really suit the property. Or you could go with the age of the property (60s/70s?) and choose yellow or orange? Bit scary I know.

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): Sonia
  • smellymel222
    Автор

Replying to Sonia, Agate grey was one of the colours we were considering and I love that last picture with that green and 70’s style door. I would love yellow but my husband is not on board!

• smellymel222
    Автор

Replying to Jo Jones, your porch area looks lovely, very warm and welcoming. Its what I am wanting to achieve with my porch. I love the black painted brick too.

• PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre

Very nice, Jo - that is a most attractive entrance!

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
  • siobhanmcgee90

The navy looks very nice

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): siobhanmcgee90
  • Jackie Askey

IdI’d go with navy and keep the white surround. it looks really smart.

smellymel222 поблагодарил(а): Jackie Askey