Houzz Logo Print
webuser_136125890

Which floor plan for utility and WC, your opinions please

Trina Trina
Месяцев назад: 4

Hi everyone, we have received our drawings back from the architect. The ask was to incorporate a utility room with a laundry chute (from upstairs family shower room), open up the kitchen/living/dining space, incorporate a window seat and storage. The architect has put forward two design ideas. I am finding it rather difficult to pick one as like both for different reasons, and would appreciate your opinions! Thank you!

Design 1.PNG (Separate utility & WC with 'broken' kitchen layout)
Design 2.PNG (Combined utility & WC with running cupboards in kitchen)

Комментарии: 24

• PRO
    AVN Granite

I perosnally like the continous run of cabinets in kitchen, but I rather have powder room and utlity room seprate. So it's a bit of a complicated one tbh

Trina Trina поблагодарил(а): AVN Granite
  • H A

Hi, we have similar utility/wc and it’s sectioned off as shown. Alternatively, if you don’t really need the door to outside from utility, have the utility off the hall and separate wc at the end with the window.

• H A

This is what I mean

Trina Trina поблагодарил(а): H A
  • PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre

Hi Trina,

Interesting challenge!! Of the two options proposed, I would pick Option 1 every day and twice on Sundays! Reason being that while you do lose one base and a wall unit in the main kitchen, you avoid an awkward corner (with any risk of dead space or expensive wireworks) while (1) gaining much more storage and a better, more functional layout in the utility and (2) a separate yet entirely functional WC. Indeed, this configuration gives you far more combined storage than Option 2.

I am no great fan of having a WC in any room that can be a "thoroughfare" (from your garden to the kitchen) given odours etc. and it would always be a "last resort" option for me. And if you were really concerned about kitchen storage, it looks easy enough to extend your island just a little more if you had to.

Hope that gives food for thought!

Caldicot Kitchens

Trina Trina поблагодарил(а): Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
  • Trina Trina
    Автор

Thank you for all your feedback. I am leaning more towards the separate WC and utility as well but wasn't entire certain if the separated kitchen units would look odd or bitty?

• PRO

Hi @Trina Trina, I shouldn't worry. If you are concerned, then you could consider rounding off the corner a little - either with a unit or with a radius on the worktop (and a curved pilaster) but it is a configuration seen often enough.

• Trina Trina
    Автор

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your feedback.

You hit on the nail on the head with the size of the sitting rooms as I aired this to the architect as well.

We will be doing a loft conversion at the same time and trying to avoid doing any extensions to the bungalow.

The family bathroom is being converted into a utility and WC.

The internal wall in the kitchen is being removed and a steel beam installed to open up the space to the sitting and dining area. Perhaps we could consider not having a utility if we could achieve a bigger kitchen/ living/ dining space. What would you do/suggest?

Thanks

• Jonathan

Could you post a plan of what you have to work with

• Trina Trina
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 4

Hi Jonathan, this is the existing floor plan. The sitting room far right is currently used as the kids bedroom and the front smaller room is an office/play room.

• Trina Trina
    Автор

Proposed floor plan for loft conversion on first floor below. Ground floor proposed plan can be viewed in the main question.

Thank you Jonathan

• Jonathan

A lot more steel so it may be budget busting. But I do think it is better proportioned as i reckon the living space is about a third bigger

Trina Trina поблагодарил(а): Jonathan
  • Trina Trina
    Автор

Thanks Jonathan. With your idea, now you have me thinking whether may be we should sacrifice a separate sitting space and have one big open space along the left hand side. We will have lovely views of the garden and to the sunlight from three directions. The front room can be a cosy quiet sitting space as we'll have two bedrooms upstairs. Do you think that would be proportioned or would it look off?

• Jonathan

Slight tweak on your plan

• Jonathan

Could you make the dormer bigger to put the laundry in the upstairs bathroom?

• Trina Trina
    Автор

A lot for us to think about! Thanks so much Jonathan for your time and advice, very much appreciate it!

• Trina Trina
    Автор

Jonathan hi, sorry but would it be possible if you could try rejigging the layout below to have the kitchen at the end where the dining table and office desks are? I tried to play with it but couldn't quite get it to work.

I have made some changes and made the snug a utility. The ensuite, WC and hallway needs tidying up, it doesn't look quite right here.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and time.

• Jonathan

Is the front windows high enough to put kitchen units in front of it?

• Jonathan

Option

• Trina Trina
    Автор

The front windows measuring from the sill are 75cm above the ground. Is this sufficient height for lower kitchen units?

• Jonathan

No - worktop height is 90cm.

So you either have to have the kitchen at the back or accept your work surface is only on the island. Or you have to change the window

• Trina Trina
    Автор

The plan looks really good Jonathan, thanks so much!

As for the steel beams that we'd need to install to open up the space, if the cost is too high to install, is it an option to consider a supporting post just behind the kitchen island?

• Jonathan

I suspect that will have no cost advantage

• PRO

Trina, you asked "The front windows measuring from the sill are 75cm above the ground. Is this sufficient height for lower kitchen units? "

Depending on the kitchen manufacturer, you can get lower units which will sit the worktop at around 75cm, though this is too low to use as "prep space" or to have a hob. But it can be done.

We have in the past done worktops that sit a little higher than window level, and have left a smaller "shelf" at window level next to the window into which pots or small troughs for kitchen herbs were put, which can be a useful way to tackle this challenge.