Houzz Logo Print
webuser_738353070

Repainting Painted Fence - advice on prep, color & product choice

Vox
Месяцев назад: 5
Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 5

I was planning on replacing our fences next year. The front one especially looks terrible but budgets are what they are, it was further down the priority list. Our neighbors don't really care, so I was willing to live with it. However, my husband (who is subject to impulsive fits of action) has decided to have the front fence painted NOW. I can't dissuade him from this. I'm torn, because I don't want to go too expensive, because IMO it STILL should be replaced within a few years - but I don't want to go too cheap either, as it needs to look decent until that point.

The fence was originally put up by the people we bought the house from. They were notoriously cheap and DIY'd a lot of things - some well, some not so much. It was a mix of treated and untreated boards. We've removed as much of the rotted bits as possible (without tearing apart the whole thing) and replaced them. I suspect there are untreated boards still in the mix. I don't know what products they did or did not use.

Prep - I know we need to scrape off the loose or lifting bits, but do we need to sand the whole thing?

Primer - Do we need one, or is the pre-existing paint sufficient?

Paint Formula - There are several good latex paints from varying manufacturers that I see on the internet. Is one particular product better for my situation? We plan on buying 5 gallon buckets for the sprayer. The fence is 160' long by 6' tall, so this won't be inexpensive.

Paint Color - What would you suggest? I'm not sure I like the tone of the red-orange that was there. The house is dark gray (see image). I'm not interested in matching the door as that yellow door will be changed out soon. I can't decide if I should stay in the orange family or go a different direction for the fence. I'd love to do a red or bright orange door - like the yellow, a pop of color against the gray - but don't know what fence color would coordinate best. BTW the house looks a bit brownish gray here but it is not; it's more of a medium-dark charcoal gray.

Google photo blurry. Recent front photos were unfortunately taken in shadow. Reverse photos were taken in direct sun.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Комментарии: 14

• millworkman

Scrape all the loose off, sand as needed after the scraping. You do not need to sand everything but remember the better the prep the better the finish will last. I would use a a similar color stain in a semi solid. Similar color as it will be easier for covering.

• cat_ky

I would keep the brick red color that it is and I agree on semi solid stain, after scraping and sanding as needed. If you want a red door, then pick the same color as the fence, only in paint for that. Do not use paint, or it will all be peeling in a very short time.

• wdccruise
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

NO Paint! Only stain so it doesn't peel.

• la_la Girl

Agree that stain covers well - we used a semi transparent in black and it looks really nice with all the greenery (not my fence but to give an idea)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.

Another vote for stain- we used Sherwin Williams woodscapes solid color stain all the time. It’s a great product. I hate red generally so to me any color would be better. I would use a grey a couple shades lighter or darker than your siding. My fence is black and I love how it disappears. It was originally the color brown that I can’t name without using childish words.

• tozmo1

@Jay Sifford Garden Design has some beautiful examples of stained (i think) fences in his projects with before and after pics. If you see something you like I imagine he will answer a question about his project. His work is just beautiful and peaceful.

• PRO
    Jay Sifford Garden Design

Thanks tozmo1. I would definitely use a solid stain, not a paint, after prepping. And I'd go with a darker gray. It will likely take two coats.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

I think black could be really interesting

• ginatay124

We did something similar with the wood fence we inherited with this house. Instead of scraping, we had the fence pressure washed. When it was completely dry (we bought an inexpensive moisture meter and waited until it was reading 10%), we used an electric orbital sander with mesh screen to knock off the raised hairy bits of wood. We didn’t try to sand each board perfectly smooth though. We used the Behr solid stain since the fence had been previously stained with something similar. The Behr stain comes in several pre-mixed colors or you can have it custom mixed to a color of choice. We chose our top four stain colors to sample and painted sections of the fence next to the house. It became very obvious by doing that what the best color choice was.

• Vox
    Автор

I would just like to say thank you to everyone for your savvy advice. I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately, it confirmed some of the research I did. I say UNfortunately only because, as expected, spouse still wants to do paint not only because it's easier, but because he already bartered his electrical services with the painter (who won't or can't do stain). We are at a standstill for the moment. When there's some forward movement, I'll update.

I had a feeling the best options would be the same redwood color, or a similar gray to the house. I'm concerned that too much darker will be close to black, but that a lighter gray would result in an unbalanced feel to the tableau. I'll have to get some samples, I think.

Thank you all again, it's been really good to see that there is an obvious best method. I didn't want to choose a featured answer because I felt more than one deserved it.

Happy early Thanksgiving. I'm grateful for your opinions!

• wdccruise

"I'm concerned that too much darker will be close to black, but that a lighter gray would result in an unbalanced feel to the tableau."

You can buy BEHR PREMIUM Solid Color Waterproofing Stain & Sealer in a standard color or have a custom color mixed at Home Depot.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.

The ‘painter’ seems misinformed. Solid color stain is FAR easier to apply than primer and paint. My paint crew transformed mine from blah brown to black by noon time. They started at one end and sprayed the whole thing then started over and did a second coat. Looks perfect three years later.

Sponsored