Houzz Logo Print
francesca_g64

Help please - rear extension/permitted development

Francesca Gabbitas
Месяцев назад: 10

Does anyone know, in the UK the rules around permitted development that let you extend 3m, if your house is not flat across the back then where does the 3m start from?

On the attached floor plan, the original footprint of the house includes the utility room (but not the bit next to it) so would the 3m permitted development start from the back wall of each original wall ie a wonky extension or does it start from the rear most wall in which case we could add another 3m across the whole back of the house?

Thank you for any help 🙏

Комментарии: 9

• Francesca Gabbitas
    Автор

Thanks for this Sarah, all it ever seems to say though is ‘Single-storey rear extensions cannot extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than four metres if a detached house; or more than three metres for any other house.’

But what I can’t tell is whether it is each rear wall or the rear most wall…

• CWD
    Последние изменения: Месяцев назад: 10

It's measured from each part of the original wall - so your second option is the correct one. Unless the bit next to the utility was done before 1948?

• Leonie
  • Francesca Gabbitas
    Автор

Perfect, thanks all!

• User

Planning Portal states you can extend up to 6m, or 8m if detached, within permitted development rights.

• User

Ignore me, don't know where I read that

• minnie101

@Sarah L

You’re right you can extend 6/8m but you need Prior Approval from the LPA and they consult with the neighbours

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/extensions/planning-permission

• PRO
    i-architect

Is there a reason you're looking to restrict yourselves to be within permitted development? It's not that difficult to get planning permisison if what you want isn't strictly within the limitations of permitted development.

You'll find the videos I've made about planning permisison on my youtube channel useful: https://www.youtube.com/@iarchitect

Best wishes with your home redesign!

Jane