Houzz Logo Print
jgrisbaum

Help with updating exterior

Jen g
в прошлом году

We are planning to add vinyl siding to the exterior of our house. We currently have wood siding, pictures below. I know vinyl siding is an issue for lots of people, however, we live in a neighborhood where most of the homes have it.

I would love to hear any ideas for what colors you'd recommend. The roof is staying and the front door is brand new. Also, the windows are relatively new so they will stay. We will not be doing any major structural exterior changes to the house.

I'd love to hear opinions on colors for the siding & trim and also suggestions on landscaping. We are in New Orleans, very tropical here - and I need low maintenance plantings, hence the liriope and monkeygrass. Thanks in advance!

We'll need to repaint the concrete porch, steps, and area below the siding.

Комментарии: 23

• Paul F.
    в прошлом году
    Последние изменения: в прошлом году

I like the green. Get rid of the corner moldings though...they don't go with the house.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): Paul F.
  • PRO
    RT Studio
    в прошлом году

I would recommend Hardie siding instead. Hardie also have a design feature where you can upload a photo of the exterior and play with the color before making a choice.

• chloebud
    в прошлом году

I think a tan, khaki or warm gray would look good with your black roof. Black door, white trim.

Totally different style house here. Just showing colors.

• Jen g
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@Paul F. ! I agree about the corner moldings, we will do something simple. Should we have white window trim?

@RT Studio If you can convice my husband about Hardie siding, I am all over it.

@chloebud Thanks! Not planning on painting the front door, though.

• Lyn Nielson
    в прошлом году

I would choose a White Board & Batten... adding some verticle interest.

and a railing around the porch.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): Lyn Nielson
  • Jen g
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@Lyn Nielson Cute idea, thanks!

• Paul F.
    в прошлом году

The newest Hardie siding looks amazing.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    в прошлом году

I love Hardieboard siding, but it's much more expensive than vinyl.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): laceyvail 6A, WV
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    в прошлом году

I don’t care for the contrasting gutters and (thin) window trim. Is that a ”thing” in Louisiana? Looks choppy to my midwestern eyes.

Install a real sidewalk instead of those loose pavers. And pull it out away from the monkey grass (which I love) a bit and make it at least 3’ wide.

Looks like a charming well-kept home.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • Jen g
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@littlebug Zone 5 Missouri I don't like the contrasting gutters either. For the window trim, We will probably do a tone-on-tone trim color there, or white. I hadn't considered making the window trim thicker - I will look at some pictures. A sidewalk instead of pavers is a good idea!

@Jilly Yes, we do have some colorful houses here. In my neighborhood, we have purple, hot pink, deep blue, etc....I want to find a color that goes well with the door. Our next-door neighboors' homes are yellow on the right and tan on the left.

Thanks for the compliment on our home. I would love to meet with a landscape pro, maybe after we do the siding. I am not good with upkeep, I will admit!

• Beerpocketbook
    в прошлом году

Just saw this photo on another Houzz post and think these colors would be cool and lovely with your beautiful, new front door. It would be relatively simple, as well, to add the white railings. Notice also the “haint blue” front porch ceiling which would be very fitting in New Orleans. You have a darling home. As to landscaping, maybe a curved path from the driveway to the porch steps (if you must leave the steps where they are), with planting bed between the path and porch. If it’s possible, maybe you could make the steps come off of the front of the porch with railings, similar to the photo I’m posting.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): Beerpocketbook
  • Jen g
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@Beerpocketbook I love the color of those shutters with the house color! Yes, we do need railings for the steps, I agree. Thank you.

• chloebud
    в прошлом году

^Beerpocketbook’s photo shows SW Repose Gray on the siding. We used it on our own home after a long search for a light, warm gray we both liked.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): chloebud
  • nickel_kg
    в прошлом году

Our next-door neighboors' homes are yellow on the right and tan on the left.

I was going to say that a house near me updated from tired white siding to a lovely warm butterscotch yellow -- but that might not work well with your immediate neighbors! Instead I love the SW Repose Gray shown above, or maybe a very pale blue in about that same hue.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): nickel_kg
  • chloebud
    в прошлом году

@Jen g, if you’re interested, the color on the door and shutters in Beerpocketbook’s photo is SW Dorian Gray. I did a ton of research when searching for our house. This link is one of many I kept in my ”Repose Gray” file.

https://lifeonsummerhill.com/repose-gray-paint/

Jen g поблагодарил(а): chloebud
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    в прошлом году

I love the colors of homes in New Orleans and for sure IMO no gray anywhere . I actually like the color you have and what is wrong with the siding ? Does it really need replacing? You know just becuase the neighbors do something does not mean you can't stay with a nice siding that can be painted if you change your mind.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jen g
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@chloebud Thanks! I love those colors so much.

@nickel_kg I do like the idea of a pale blue - it's my favorite color!

@Patricia Colwell Consulting Thanks! I like the green we have, too, but I am open to change. The wood siding is in okay shape, but we are tired of re-caulking and re-painting - we do everything ourselves. My husband wants vinyl for lower maintenance. It's always so humid and hot here, so I feel like the weather takes a toll on the outside surfaces.

• simplynatural
    в прошлом году
    Последние изменения: в прошлом году

Here's a visual of light blue siding, white gutters/trim, with a porch/stair railing and a little landscaping added (no major changes, as specified). I extended the line of square pavers to the right, then left to what looks like a gate. That divides the lawn into rectangles, one with the liriope, one with a dwarf camellia, one with a small crepe myrtle with chartreuse sweet potato vine under, one lawn. I added narrow lemon cypress in pots along the driveway side of the house to soften the junction of pavement and wall. I added shutters, too, but a more interesting color for them would be better. (Your new door reads deep plum on my monitor, so I went with that.) As shown, this lacks the colorful New Orleans character--but maybe it can spark some better ideas.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): simplynatural
  • Jen g
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@simplynatural Wow! That is amazing! Thanks! There were shutters on the house 20 years ago, and I like them. I love the lemon cypress so much. And the porch railing looks great.

I'd need to paint the concrete porch and steps...I wonder what color?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    в прошлом году

I am another vote for Hardieplank siding if you can swing the cost. 25 years ago we put it on the south and west sides of our 1850s farmhouse where when we bought it there was old roofing and tarpaper on it instead of siding. Ours was prefinished, and after 25 years, the only reason it was painted prior to putting the house on the market was to be sure the house was the same color on all sides - the Hardieplank was still in pristine condition. The rest of the house was painted three times during that time period. To my eye the Hardiplank looks better than vinyl.

Many paint manufacturers have a part of the site that lets you upload a photo of your house that you can then try out different colors on.

Jen g поблагодарил(а): NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • Jen g
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@NHBabs z4b-5a NH Yes, I would love Hardie siding - I think it looks better than the vinyl, too. I will get quotes on both and see how it goes. That longevity of the paint job is a great point. What brand of paint was it?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    в прошлом году

Jen, It was the finish that Hardiplank put on at the factory that lasted 25 years without flaws. And at least when we got ours 25 years ago, you could get a smooth finish or a fake wood grained finish that created a texture under the paint. We much preferred the smooth finish which looked like the old wood clapboards already on the house.

Sponsored