Houzz Logo Print
bng1999

Need help/advice for difficult half-bathroom remodel

bng1999
в прошлом году

We're redoing our half bathroom and having a problem coming up with ideas because of this extended countertop, the toilet being on the wall next to it (aren't changing that) and the piping coming thru the left side (cannot change that location). We were considering doing a vanity all the way across from wall to wall which is about 60 inches, but then the cabinets will hit the toilet and it may look too crowded. We also thought a 48-inch vanity wouldn't look right since we can't center it (again, due to the sink plumbing coming from the left wall).

The option which we're leaning towards is to get a 36-inch vanity (and then we'd have a 24-inch space to the right of it which could be used for a wastebasket, etc. (the existing vanity in the pic is a 30-inch). Would this be the best option?

Also, if anyone has any other good ideas (or if anyone remodeled their bathroom with a similar design), I'd love to hear about them and see photos as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Комментарии: 14

• zealart
    в прошлом году
    Последние изменения: в прошлом году

I'd check what size those skinny long bathroom cabinets are. Put one of those where the dead space is now and go with the largest possible vanity in the location of the current one. I don't think the vanity needs to be centered.( linen tower cabinet)

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): zealart
  • acm
    в прошлом году

That was going to be my suggestion too. In other words, a pairing like this.

Aria 36" Bathroom Vanity, White, Carrara Marble · Еще

Bathroom Linen Free Standing Storage Cabinet · Еще

Bathroom Linen Storage Tower Cabinet Mahe Bamboo Wood, Stockholm · Еще

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): acm
  • ptreckel
    в прошлом году

The PROS here might be able to answer this, but…depending on the location of the toilet’s plumbing, it might be possible to swing the toilet around so that its back is against the wall where the vanity is located, eliminating the shelf. Much depends, I believe, in the location of the toilet’s placement in the joists, and the direction that the joists run. It might be possible to, thus, relocate the toilet to the space next to it. And also relocate the feed line for the tank (since there is a water supply to the vanity in that wall.). Of course, this might be more expensive than you want it to be. And would require the demolition of your tile floor, etc.

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): ptreckel
  • PRO
    lisedv
    в прошлом году

Your plan to change the vanity and mostlikely also the mirror and lighting but are your replacing the tile floor?

• eld6161
    в прошлом году

This is a small guest in our Florida home. We had a vanity that spread across like yours. We replaced it with this vanity and most importantly have a left off-set sink. You might not have to.

This is a small guest in our Florida home. We had a vanity that spread across like yours. We replaced it with this vanity and most importantly have a left off-s

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): eld6161
  • PRO
    lisedv
    в прошлом году

Here's what the powder room could look like with a 30 inch vanity and a freestanding linen cabinet...

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): lisedv
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    в прошлом году

Select a vanity that you can run all the way across. You might not be able to open the one door all the way but you don't need 24" for a wastepaper basket.

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
  • ffpalms
    в прошлом году

One option is to install a banjo counter.

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): ffpalms
  • Lorraine Leroux
    в прошлом году

A nice vanity and a set back linen tower.

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): Lorraine Leroux
  • tozmo1
    в прошлом году

I agree with @BeverlyFLADeziner, run the cabinet the entire length and put infrequently used items in the cabinet that won't open all the way. You could also do a base cabinet for the sink and then a cabinet of drawers to fill in the space to the right. One of the drawers will open fully as it will be above the toilet, the others will open almost fully. Judging from the number of floor tiles between the toilet and cabinet, you have almost 24 inches between the two assuming 12" tiles. That's a drawer depth. Even if they are 8" tiles, that means the drawer will almost fully open.

On the other hand, if you have a cat, perfect place for a litter box!

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): tozmo1
  • bng1999
    Автор
    в прошлом году
    Последние изменения: в прошлом году

Thanks for everyone's input, especially the photos! That helped a lot. I think we're going to try doing a 36" vanity with some sort of freestanding shelving unit there and see how that goes. Also, @lisedv who had commented above, no, we're not replacing the tile floor. In fact, that was another issue because we don't think the original builders tiled underneath the vanity. Just another complication to make it more difficult. LOL

• acm
    в прошлом году

@ eld6161 -- can you open the drawers in that vanity?

@ ptreckel -- I don't think there's enough width for toilet on the same wall without a *smaller* vanity, because you need 30" total for code.

• PRO
    RT Studio
    в прошлом году

Check what we have done with these small bathroom. hopefully it will inspire you.

Guest Bathroom · Еще

Interior View · Еще

it will inspire you.

bng1999 поблагодарил(а): RT Studio
Sponsored