Houzz Logo Print
bonbonm

Looking For IKEA Kitchen Cabinet Install Assistance In Santa Fe NM

bonbonm
в прошлом году
Последние изменения: в прошлом году

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any contractors with experience installing Ikea kitchen cabinets in Albuquerque or Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Thank you so much!

Комментарии: 31

• bonbonm
    Автор
    в прошлом году

I'm well aware that Ikea doesn't have a location in New MEXICO, Frank. I'm also aware that some very beautiful homes in my area of New Mexico have Ikea kitchens - therefore me looking for kitchen cabinet installers in New Mexico. Ikea delivers their products here. I disagree that the whole point of Ikea is all DIY in the kitchen arena. You make two separate assertions in your response to my question -1. that there's no Ikea in NM to have installers here and then 2. that the whole point of IKEA is all DIY, so which is it?

• bonbonm
    Автор
    в прошлом году

I can assemble Ikea cabinets. There's no trouble there. What I need assistance with is installing the assembled Ikea cabinets. I've priced out other lines, and they're not within the realm of financial possibility when every dollar counts - thus, my question - looking for contractors to install my Ikea cabinets in New Mexico.

• snappity
    в прошлом году

I am doing an IKEA kitchen in an area where the nearest ikea is 3 states and 250+ miles away. My contractor will hang them as part of the overall project, which involves a lot more than new cabs. If that's the only piece you need help with, a contractor of general builder/ handyman might be a good option.

• bonbonm
    Автор
    в прошлом году

Thank you for your response. I completely understand as my nearest Ikeas are in each surrounding state. I will just need assistance with installing the cabinets and then my countertop guy will come. So far, the contractors I've talked to aren't familiar with Ikea. Maybe I do need to broaden my circle to handymen. Hoping someone in my area will see this post and come through with a recommendation of a contractor/handyman in my area with Ikea familiarity. Best of luck on your kitchen remodel!

• snappity
    в прошлом году

Yes, we have constructed SO MUCH ikea furniture (older, small house means it's size and efficiency makes it the best fitting stuff) so we aren't at all put off by the sweat equity in assembly - esp with the cost savings. Good luck to finding someone who can do it! I would put out a post on FB if you have it, to your local contacts. Or a neighborhood group - someone local must know someone!

• snappity
    в прошлом году

I would not be able to install on my own because of the need to get them hung over my head and probably strength abilities. Hanging out on the floor with an allen wrench I can do all day. There are many reasons why one part will be fine and another will require some paid assistance. I am paying all kinds of money to go to the studs, redo all plumbing and electric, removing a wall, etc - and this is an area where I like the cabs, am confident in assembling them and also happy to add on "hang cabs" to my already large tab for the construction.

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): snappity
  • bonbonm
    Автор
    в прошлом году

Verbo, I asked a question here - I've no need for a smug, opinionated comment that doesn't answer my question. It's really frustrating to come to HOUZZ for help, and only 1 out of 3 commenters are able to offer any actual assistance. Instead it's just negativity. Honestly, why even bother to answer . . . So not true that if you can assemble you can install - I've actually assembled all the Ikea cabinets in my laundry room just fine thank you very much, but as snappity pointed out, "hanging out on the floor" assembling is completely different than trying to actually install the cabinets on a wall. I used someone to help me install the laundry room cabinets, and he's no longer around. Therefore, I'm asking for an Ikea installer in New Mexico. That's it! Also, why the automatic assumption that I wouldn't be aware there's more to a kitchen than cabinets and counters? Have you stopped to think that perhaps that part of the kitchen is already handled thus my question was simply are there any contractors with IKEA cabinet installation experience in New Mexico? Please don't waste your own time or mine if you don't have the answer to my question and just want to feel self-righteous for the day. Seriously - just stop! It's not a good look!

• wdccruise
    в прошлом году

You might try Angie's List which has contractors for pre-built cabinets.

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): wdccruise
  • bonbonm
    Автор
    в прошлом году

Wow, just-janni. 60+ cabinets is impressive. I have a small kitchen so only 10.

I'll definitely check Facebook and Nextdoor. My local Nextdoor can be a cantankerous bunch, so wasn't looking forward to it.

Best of luck to you on your install.

• bonbonm
    Автор
    в прошлом году

Thanks wdccruise. Angie's List is a great suggestion.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    в прошлом году

If you contact Ikea where you bought the cabinets they often have installers in places where there are no Ikea stores. I will agree that if you are good at following instructions and trust the Ikea way of doing things this can be quite almost fun. Putting the cabinets together is fun according to many of my cclients. The big issue is finding someone that can just believe Ikea knows best. No glue no better way to install just follow the directions . The hanging rail is so superior to other systems for install and so maybe give it try since the uppers go in first . But first I would ask Ikea or your people you know who have Ikea kitchens where you are. I have been designing Ikea kitchens for 22+ yrs and have had some pretty bad luck with clients Dads that think they know better than Ikea so make sure you get references before doing any hiring.

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    в прошлом году

NO NO No cabinet installers are the worst ones to have do this . They are very often the ones who think they know better . I have no idea about the cost where you are my guy charges 30/hr he is retired but loves doing odd jobs .

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Erica
    в прошлом году

I’m in Albuquerque and did my whole kitchen with my husband in the spring. We hung the rails together but I may be able to help you on my own if you want.

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): Erica
  • bonbonm
    Автор
    в прошлом году

Erica, you're amazing! Thank you so much! How can I contact you?

• bonbonm
    Автор
    в прошлом году

Patricia, you read my mind - my biggest fear in the project was having someone unfamiliar with Ikea try to install the cabinets their own way - just like you said with glue or something else that is contrary to Ikea's instructions. Thank you for confirming that it's important to use someone specifically familiar with Ikea and/or willing to learn the "Ikea way" since it's a little different. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. It seems you have a lot of experience with Ikea kitchens and a lot of great advice.

• Erica
    в прошлом году

Lol I don’t know how without doxxing myself on Houzz

• wdccruise
    в прошлом году

"I don’t know how without doxxing myself on Houzz"

You can only send a message through houzz if the user is flagged as a "PRO". Scroll up and you'll see a few. Click on their icon to access.

• bonbonm
    Автор
    в прошлом году

Well, Erica, the fact that you actually offered to help me warmed my heart so much. So thank you for that - even if I'm unable to contact you. :)

• Linda
    в прошлом году

Have you tried Yelp? You might also see if there is subreddit for your locality and post there. Or post to r/homeowners or r/IKEA with your city/region in the subject and see what you get. I agree with skipping Nextdoor as there isn't much value, at least on ours.

We're in the midst of a IKEA kitchen remodel and our contractor has done a bunch of IKEA kitchens. He builds his own base support system ("ladder boxes") instead of using the IKEA feet. Assembling the cabinets went very fast; the bulk of their time is being spent on all the other work--demo, plumbing, electrical, installation, fixing the floor where the footprint changed, custom-fitting trim pieces, and in particular, leveling the cabinets and dealing with out of plumb walls. In our area (Denver), there is a company called Traemand that does IKEA installs but I've seen very mixed reviews. Their quote was much less than what we're paying our contractor but after seeing what all is involved, I can't imagine Traemand would have given us the quality install we want. They came out and measured for us and I wasn't terribly impressed.

Our contractor is a carpenter and a big part of his value is attention to detail. He makes sure everything is right and takes his time. There are problems to solve and he doesn't just jump on the first solution that comes to him. The countertop was just installed and because the cabinets were perfectly level, it came out great (plus we used a good fabricator).

Good luck on finding someone! Be sure to ask all your friends. That's how I found our contractor.

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): Linda
  • CeeWhy
    в прошлом году

@bonbonm @Erica there is a way to enable messages on Houzz in your account settings but I don't know how to do it...anybody else know?

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): CeeWhy
  • denkyem
    в прошлом году

I'm nowhere near New Mexico but just want to chime in to say that having Ikea cabinets installed by a competent professional is totally worth it. Our general contractor has someone he works with who I think has a background in carpentry but has developed a special expertise in handling Ikea cabinet installation and he just does such a nice job and has such good advice! Like you I'm great at assembling Ikea furniture, but the part way outside of my skillset is all the filler and cover panel stuff where pieces need to be cut to size without wrecking the finish. A competent installer can also help you with a bit of mild hacking, e.g. ours cut a chunk out of the back of a pantry to fit it under a low duct.

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): denkyem
  • wdccruise
    в прошлом году

@CeeWhy: "there is a way to enable messages on Houzz in your account settings but I don't know how to do it...anybody else know?"

You can only send a message through houzz if the user is flagged as a "PRO".

• CeeWhy
    в прошлом году

@wdccruise I have received messages from people on Houzz in the past. I am not flagged as a Pro and neither were they. I just now clicked on a couple of different threads and viewed a few profiles of non-Pro people, and some of them do have the option to message. There are even a couple of profiles in this thread who have the option.

These are three different non-Pro profiles on other threads. I just can't figure out how to enable/disable the option. 🤷‍♀️

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): CeeWhy
  • snappity
    в прошлом году

In your profle, you can go to advanced settings and set a messaging capability.

bonbonm поблагодарил(а): snappity
  • wdccruise
    в прошлом году

@snappity: "In your profle, you can go to advanced settings and set a messaging capability"

But whether one can send a message to a recipient or not is controlled by the recipient, not the sender.

• CeeWhy
    в прошлом году

Okay, great. So @bonbonm and @Erica can both go into their advanced settings and change their message settings so they can contact each other. 🙌🏼

• wdccruise
    в прошлом году

@CeeWhy: "[they] can both go into their advanced settings and change their message settings so they can contact each other."

They should follow one another first to prevent having to receive messages from anyone.

• Erica
    в прошлом году

I couldn't see where to do it actually.

• Erica
    в прошлом году

Ah. I finally got it.

• Erica
    в прошлом году

So I’m not able to respond to you. I think you still have the messages turned off. Send me your number and I’ll text you so we can get in contact. I’d be more than happy to help. My husband said he would too.