Houzz Logo Print
edeegourmet

design dilemma, vertical or horizontal

edeegourmet
в прошлом году

We have moved out television another wall and would like a mirror over the fireplace. Now we can’t decide which direction it should be hung. Please help!

vertical
horizontal

Комментарии: 25

• Maureen
    в прошлом году
    Последние изменения: в прошлом году

Not a fan of mirror in either direction... sorry. A round mirror might be a better choice if wanting a mirror, or consider art.

• tracefloyd
    в прошлом году

Sorry, I also can't vote because I don't like a mirror there for the same reasons. It looks cold to me. That white painting is lost on the white wall. Hang that over the fireplace. The contrast of white would be a wow there and really tie the room together.

Thank you for taking the TV down. That is one look I wish would go away. Lovely room but the furniture should be pulled away from the walls and corners. Light bulbs should not be seen unless they are Edison bulbs so move the standing lamp so it can be used for reading in the armchair and put a softer bulb in it. Move the corner table to the side of the sofa as an end table and place another lamp on it, warm up the room a bit. A coffee table centered on the rug would ground the room and be usable with the new placement of the sofa.

P.S. Thank you for the picture of your contented pet.

• edeegourmet
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@tracefloyd thank you! I love Houzz for the help! How’s this looking?

• tracefloyd
    в прошлом году

Spectacular. Now I can see the pillow on the armchair. That pillow has the perfect accent colors for this room, right? I would continue those colors as accents and accessories in the room. Blue, gray, charcoal, navy, white. You've already got a start with your black planter and pet, the gray chair and black table legs, see how they really work here? The pink carpet would then look intentional to stand out in complete contrast to everything else and would really pop. Move the ottoman and throws to another room and you'll see what I mean.

• decoenthusiaste
    в прошлом году

Great resolution! I was afraid the mirror was just going to reflect your kitchen cabinets.

• tracefloyd
    в прошлом году

I should amend my comment for clarity and say blue, gray, charcoal, navy, black, and white as the ONLY colors as accents and accessories.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    в прошлом году

The wall art is definitely better than mirror.

• Cynthia
    в прошлом году

Thank you for being open to the other posters comments! So often someone makes a post asking about something and they don't take the advice. Or even worse, those that post "I want to change ABC but I'm unwilling to change ANYTHING" and that's frustrating! The art works great!

• edeegourmet
    Автор
    в прошлом году

Thanks to everyone! Sometimes you really need to see it from another point of view. I really like the space now!
    The ottoman is typically in front of the accent chair. It was my husbands grandparents from 1930’s! I’ve been meaning to have it reupholstered.

• tracefloyd
    в прошлом году

Okay I get it, but move the ottoman to another room and in the meantime find a small stool and pillow or something.

My point is the pink rug needs some help. Right now it is a distraction from the striking wall treatment and dramatic fireplace and other cool tones in the room. My concept is to make it the only color in the room other than blue, gray, charcoal, navy, black, and white.

Just play around, try it now. See if you can find anything in these colors around the house to bring in (a pillow case, books, a sweater, kitchen canister, a bag of Oreos, etc. remember you're experimenting). Remove anything other than these colors. I think you will see how different that rug looks when it is a deliberate decision and a calculated, concious approach to be used as contrast to the color scheme of everything else in the room .

• doods
    в прошлом году

So glad you put a painting above the fireplace instead of a mirror, but but but ... I liked that particular painting on the other wall where you had it. Would prefer another painting with a darker background and more color in it on your fireplace. I feel the one there now is too stark, does not blend well with your nice fireplace and background wall. Nice room.

• tracefloyd
    в прошлом году

It is stark but the intention was to be dramatic. I feel the subject matter draws you into the room. Any color artwork there IMO use gray, black and blue in keeping with my proposed color concept for the space. Hopefully there will be some white in the accessories so it is not alone in that color.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    в прошлом году

You could try a single art piece ^, or, something like this pic:

I feel like you need something on the sides

• tracefloyd
    в прошлом году

Yes a black and white color scheme would be great in this room but I was working with the existing blue sofa and pink rug.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    в прошлом году

lol. whats wrong w/mr owl? (actually it just blends in better w/the stone and the black/creamy walls) anything too colorful or busy is going to get lost against that stonework.

• tracefloyd
    в прошлом году

Nothing wrong. Just not my taste.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    в прошлом году

I'm kidding. I liked your other owl pic.

here. how about sad weiner dog

or a scottish highland bull?

desert landscape

i'd prob do some art against the black and add some sort of chest or cabinet, or a tall plant in one of the corners

• tracefloyd
    в прошлом году

You mean this one?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    в прошлом году

I voted vertical but it's the wrong backdrop for a mirror. Be more creative. Consider a layered arrangement for over the mantel.

• tozmo1
    в прошлом году

Love your "pancaked" dog. It's thinking..."If I get flat enough they won't notice I'm not in my dog bed." Also love that your husband is cherishing his grandparents' ottoman. He likely climbed on it a time or two or hundred as a child. Put it anywhere that brings him joy.

• tracefloyd
    в прошлом году

Fantastic ideas from these Houzz with your Persian rug. I agree it's all about joy. That ottoman has stood the test of time! These photos bring in that color tone.

Notice how the blues and neutrals balance the pink carpets.

dellwood: boulder, colorado family home · Еще

Modern & Eclectic Living room · Еще

Beach Style Dining Room · Еще

Rockstar Inspired Family Room · Еще

Merilane Avenue Residence 2 Living Room · Еще

Family Room - Northern Virginia · Еще

Lee Circle · Еще

East meets West: living room redesign · Еще

North Oaks - Rustic Remodel · Еще

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    в прошлом году

Very simple art large in a vertical position or a very big round mirror..black frame….I love black and have a lot in my home..here is my big stone fireplace..round mirror..working on additional mantle items right now…

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    в прошлом году

I feel like the rug is fighting with the fireplace brick..is it a must stay item?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    в прошлом году

🤗