Houzz Logo Print
li92

What large sinks will definitely fit a 33" cabinet base?

Lisa
в прошлом году
Последние изменения: в прошлом году

I'm working on a kitchen remodel (previously) and my current design has a 36" sink cabinet so that I can have a 33" inch workstation sink (Kraus) because for that size sink the recommended cabinet is 36". I'd like to know what large sinks can definitely fit in a 33" cabinet, and how to talk to the plumber my GC will use to make sure they can fit it in if there's anything non-standard that needs to be done, like scooping the size of the cabinet or using straps.

I'm open to any sinks, generally what I am looking for in order of importance is:

1) stainless steel,

2) single bowl,

3)topmount with holes in the metal (this is a pet peeve of my husband, he hates getting the counter wet when turning the sink off)

4) (not so important) would like workstation functionality, 16 gauge steel and non-zero turn corner (slightly rounded)

The total wall length I'm working with is 18' 2.25" and there's a 6" chase pictured on the left side that might get a bit smaller but generally has to stay.

With 36" sink cabinet this is my (partial) layout:

there is only a tiny amount of gap/filler (1") between the dishwasher and stove, and I think it actually needs to get up to 1.5" so the sink would be a bit off center to accommodate that.

A 33" sink base gets me this layout:

This has 2.5" between dishwasher and range with the sink cabinet centered.

Комментарии: 15

• Suzanne A
    в прошлом году

My prevous 2 kitchens both had a 33" sink base cabinets. It's a very standard size and the most widely avaiable sink size, i struggked with my 30" base cabinet when I redid my kitchen because everthing needed a 33" base. All of the big box stores will have plenty of choices and they will tell you in the description.

i would reccomend a 3" filler between the sink and dishwasher- which still is very tight. Are you married to this design as i think this can be improved.

• Lisa
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@Suzanne A yeah I know 33" is a standard size for the sink itself, the issue is that most of those 33" sinks say that you need to install them in a 36" cabinet base - what I'm looking for is ones that can be installed in a 33" base cabinet.

• Suzanne A
    в прошлом году

You want to find a 30" sink for your 33" base. A 33" base is a standard sink base cabinet, the most widely used size.

• Suzanne A
    в прошлом году

Most of these will work for you- if you like one in parcticular it will tell you in the details what size base cabinet you need.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Kitchen-Kitchen-Sinks-Drop-in-Kitchen-Sinks/Single-Bowl/30-in/N-5yc1vZcgk5Z1z199loZ1z1p59l/Ntk-elasticplus/Ntt-sink?NCNI-5&sortby=bestmatch&sortorder=none

• Lisa
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@Suzanne A Thanks! I guess I'm just trying to find >30" sinks that will still fit, as I've randomly found a couple like this one just now:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KRAUS-Kore-Drop-In-Undermount-Stainless-Steel-32-in-Single-Bowl-Workstation-Kitchen-Sink-with-Accessories-KWT300-32/313973474

just trying to see what options are there, maybe that one works. And yeah I'm open to new designs for this wall, as the GC/KD team I was working with just dumped my project and now it's back to square one on my own. There's a lot of constraints in the space that have led to this though, see my previous question for details on the full kitchen.

• Suzanne A
    в прошлом году

I just went through a small kitchen design with a lot of constraints (water line for sink/dishwasher/icemakerice maker). i get it. i think you have got to stick with the 30" sized sink on all but a very few options that may be potentially end up being too deep.If its any consolidation I had to go down a size in base cabinet and sink as well and I was worried but now I cannot tell the difference at all now that the sink is in.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    в прошлом году

You may throw away the sink clips that come with your sink and disregard the sink manufacturer's cabinet sizing recommendations if you strap, not clip, your undermount sink in place. Hercules Universal Sink Harness from BB Industries or a couple Sink Straps from GranQuartz please.

A 33" sink undermounts into a 33" cabinet, a 36" sink into a 36" cabinet, etc.

I have literally done this thousands of times.

• Lisa
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@Joseph Corlett, LLC Do you find that most plumbers who install sinks would be familiar with this or willing to try it? I haven't met the subs yet who will be doing the plumbing for my kitchen. Would this also work with a topmounted drop in sink?

• missb_remodeling
    в прошлом году

We had a 33" Franke Pro 2 (stainless, deep, one bowl, undermount) installed in the 33" cabinet base. Since it was undermount, we had to shave the sides of the cabinet down by about 1/8" to accomodate the flange.

The bowl is 32.5" wide and fits fine in the 33" cabinet, despite the fact that the literature says you need a 36" cabinet.

Our counter folks installed the sink itself per our directions. Plumbers connect plumbing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    в прошлом году

Lisa:

The sides of the cabinet should be relieved 1" or so, the straps installed to the cabinet sides, the sink set on top of the lowered cabinet sides, and the top installed. Any plumber can now easily silicone the sink flange, tighten the straps, and connect the sink.

Straps aren't used with a top mount sink.

• PRO
    Harris McClain Kitchen & Bath
    в прошлом году

Your sink options are more limited with a undermount sink in a small sink base like that. Your sink will be a lot smaller than standard. 36" sink bases are the standard widths to look at if you want a normal undermount sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    в прошлом году

Harris McClain:

If you're considering a 33" sink to be standard, it will undermount into a 33" cabinet with no problem. You do not need a 36" cabinet to have a 33" sink.

Proof.

• PRO
    Harris McClain Kitchen & Bath
    в прошлом году

Joseph Corlett,

If your undermounting the sink in a 33" sink base then yes you could go with a 33" sink if you dont mind the side getting cut out of the cabinet. A 36" would avoid all this and it allows the installers to get a good install on the clips on the sides.

For example on this Kohler spec sheet of the Vault sink calls for a 36" sink base on a 33" sink

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/K-3820-1_spec_US-CA_Kohler_en.pdf

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    в прошлом году

No substantial cabinet scooping is necessary to undermount a 33” sink in a 33” cabinet. A strapped sink replaces the scooped cabinet sides structurally anyway.