Houzz Logo Print
km51571

paint the sidelights or just the door?

km51571
в прошлом году

Is there a general rule of thumb for this? New front door has been installed--leaning towards navy for the door. We have a brown roof and will replace shutters in matching color for door. However, do we just paint the door or sidelights and trim?

Комментарии: 9

• kandrewspa
    в прошлом году

Paint all of it. Also, the door would look better with beefier trim.

Glenview Haus Classic Entry Door Gallery | GD-301PW 2SL · Еще

• km51571
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@kandrewspa thanks for the feedback. Your trim looks great but I don't think it would match the style of my house.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    в прошлом году

IMO this is one unit and so treat it like that and paint it all. IMO the shutters are something that we can only comment on if we see thwe whole house. If those windows are double then no shutters .

• cat_ky
    в прошлом году

I agree with above, paint it all. I have seen many that just paint the door, and they all look totally wrong.

• km51571
    Автор
    в прошлом году

@Patricia Colwell Consulting--not looking for feedback on shutters --will do them to match the door color, it's a cape code style house with single windows

• elcieg
    в прошлом году
    Последние изменения: в прошлом году

Paint the door nd sidelights.

Suggestion...the windows have not been finished with trim and it is taking away from the look you want...Cape Cod (where I have lived all my life). The photo that kayandrewspa posted is what you need. You can leave it at that, or do shutters, but get new ones that fit the windows appropriately and attach the shutters to the trim, NOT the siding.

• Jilly
    в прошлом году
    Последние изменения: в прошлом году

I’ll be the lone dissenter — I’d paint the sidelights the white of the rest of the house.

I think these …

Look better than this:

And …

None of those are exactly like your house, obviously, but I think are still good examples. Search for lots more to get ideas.

It’s just personal preference, really. I think painting it all the same would look fine, too, but for your house I like the idea of just painting the door — but only if you can match the sidelights to your other whites.

• decoenthusiaste
    в прошлом году

The door and sidelights look a bit under scale to me due the volume of the arched gable above. Therefore, to help enlarge them visually so they can stand up to that "weight" I'd paint all of them. I think a pendant hanging in the arch would have helped with the balance issue more than the two lanterns do. I also agree that your trims (windows and doors) are too skimpy. Again, it is a volume issue with the gable section, and bigger would be better on a cape.

Sponsored