Houzz Logo Print
stark52

range hood height - desire to avoid head-wacking.....

stark52
в прошлом году

With all that we are dealing with in this kitchen remodel, range hood height should be the least of our issues.

BlueStar RNB 30" range with 36" wide x 24" deep 18" tall bullnose hood - either BlueStar Proline or Prestige. The specs specify 30-36" inches above the surface of the range. Our old log house has only 8' ceilings in the kitchen so where we place the hood does matter. At 30" I am pretty sure my husband will wack his head. He is of average height at 6' so I am wondering what others are managing with range hoods. I would love to get some input or even pics.

Thank you!

Комментарии: 15

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    в прошлом году
    Последние изменения: в прошлом году

I have a low ceiling in my kitchen. I went w/this one and had a custom hood built around it. the insert was 34" (you'll want this size for the 36". it has to be a little smaller so the hood can be made) 36" hood vent built around it. I believe it comes out about 20".

it's 30" from the stove top. my husband and son are 6'2". no issues w/their heads.

find an insert that isn't too deep and you'll be fine.

stark52 поблагодарил(а): Beth H. :
  • latifolia
    в прошлом году

At our lakehouse, the hood is 32" above the gas range (8' ceilings). At our townhouse, I'm thinking I had it put at 30" (8.5' ceilings). My husband is 6'. We've never hit it.

• vinmarks
    в прошлом году

Ours is 31 inches above range top. My husband is 6ft. No head banging issues.

• Buehl
    в прошлом году

Ours is 42"W x 24"D and installed 30" above the 36"W cooktop. None of us have hit our heads from the outside:

• I'm 5'10"
    • Daughter is 6'
    • Husband is 6'5"
    • Son is 6'7"

The only time my husband hit his head was when he stuck his head up into the inside of the hood to look at how it worked and then backed out without dropping his head -- he hit the back of his head on the hood!

Most people have a "sense" that "detects" things like this and they avoid them. Even if you don't have it in the beginning, I suspect you will after one or two times.

Note: The hood should be at least 6" wider than the cooking surface. So...36" Hood over 30" range/cooktop. You didn't state how wide the hood is you're looking at, so I thought I'd mention it.

24"D is recommended when the range/cooktop is against a wall; 27"D when the range/cooktop is in an island or peninsula.

• M Miller
    в прошлом году

What Buehl wtote above, 100%. You can make the distance from the cooktop to the hood 36”if you have the space, but not higher. You don’t want to spend all that money on the hood only to have it be less effective cause it’s mounted too high. Don’t worry about anyone hitting their head on the hood. It might happen once at most. Think of restaurants where the hoods are much bigger and the cooks are running around like crazy, and no one hits their head.

• stark52
    Автор
    в прошлом году

Wow! ok this all helps. Thank you so much for the input! i definirly do not want to impede capture if t all possible.. would even go 27” deep but the kitchen is fairly dimunitive so 24” deep will siffice. Beth thank you for pic - your kitchen is lovely!

• badgergal
    в прошлом году

My range hood is 36” wide and 24” deep. It is 30” above the cooktop. My husband is over 6 ft tall and he has hit his head on the range hood multiple times over the years. You would think by now it would have knocked some sense into him.

• kaseki
    в прошлом году

My Wolf Pro Island hood is mounted 34.5 inches above the cooktop. With the chimney cover it mounts to it is fitted to an 8-foot ceiling. This places the underside at 5 ft, 10.5 inches above the floor.

In any case, I recommend doing a side sketch of the cooktop and hood sectional view, with a stick-figure cook that can be "bent" at the waist. This can determine head clearance and sight line limitations to pan and pot interiors.

P.S. Commercial hood bases are generally 7 feet above the floor.

• chispa
    в прошлом году

I prefer the hoods at 34 - 36" from range surface.

I'm short and the only time I ever hit my head on any hood, large or small, is when cleaning the range and not paying attention to how your body is reaching/bending around the hood. The taller men in the house never clean so they have no issues! ;-)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    в прошлом году

I am tall and have never hit my head my hood is 24" deep which is perfect and 32" above my range . BTW I often use same size hood as range but you will need to up the CFM

• vinmarks
    в прошлом году

I'm only 5ft tall so I rarely hit anything. I think if my hood were at 36 inches above range top I may barely be able to reach the knobs to turn on the hood or the light.

• Katherine Canon
    в прошлом году

When do range hood should be about the people using it so whomever will cook who is the tallest need use them as a reference. Remember you also have to take your shortness into account if want reach stuff too. Hope this helps.

• vinmarks
    в прошлом году

Each brand and model of hood has installation instructions as to what distance from range top is best to get optimum performance. I didn't go by how tall my husband is when installing the hood.

• stark52
    Автор
    в прошлом году

The specs state 30-36. i did make a template out of cardboard and mounted it to the existing cabinets at the various heights and made my husband stand in front as if to make his morning oatmeal. i think 32” will work both for height and ceiling distance.

All the input is greatly appreciated and especially rhe pictures! 😄

Sponsored