Houzz Logo Print
cailee_rebekah

How would you update this family room?

C Rebekah
Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

How would you fix this family room?

I just bought a 1979 home… it needs a lot of updating. The family room has red brick with black grout. The trim and window casings have red undertones. The paneling and shelves are very 70s.

I’m leaning towards Luxury Vinyl Planking for the entire bottom floor. All walls will be repainted.

Trim: Do I embrace the brown trim? Or do I need to paint it all white? Is it even possible to make the brown look good?

Paneling: Im hoping its not attached with a liquid adhesive and comes off without much issue. Or do I paint it and keep it? Green might look nice…

Shelves: Do i remove them or paint them? if so, which color? the design at the top is an eyesore.

fireplace: I dont know if i should embrace the current red brick or if there is a color i could paint it or a treatment that would make it look better.

Sorry for the cluttered photos. This was during the estate sale. The junk removal company comes this week and then we close the first week of April.

Комментарии: 70

• everdebz

I finished a book about pothos in vertical indoor garden, how it relieves stress and VOC air, etc...

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/your-guide-to-transitional-style-stsetivw-vs~121779610

• everdebz
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

Very muted, but with textures, and clear glass, wood....

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/your-guide-to-a-farmhouse-style-kitchen-stsetivw-vs~124509078

Crisp white with black accents is a popular choice, but it’s certainly not the only option. Look for color inspired by nature, historic homes and farm finds. Colors for farmhouse kitchens:

Crisp contrast. White, cream, black Natural neutrals. Buttermilk, straw, gray, khaki, stone Classic colors. Barn red, denim blue, robin egg blue, sage, mustard

Allentown, Pa New Build Pennsylvania Custom Farmhouse and Barn · Еще

• everdebz

Idk if you said you and yours hate the fp as it is- and with dark mortar, yikes...but I can picture an eclectic space with saturated colored art and pillows... esp. if kitchen were to have flat fronts, a bit modern/ minimal like Ikea's.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/so-your-style-is-curiosity-cabinet-chic-stsetivw-vs~31462700

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/so-your-style-is-the-doctor-is-in-stsetivw-vs~31801580

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/so-your-style-is-romantic-stsetivw-vs~2318244

• everdebz

TRY SCHERRS doors, fronts, with IKEA's AKURUM and SEKTION. Idk much more, but I post this in case you read about Ikea.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/sektion-corner-wall-cabinet-white-bodarp-gray-green-s19319140/

• decoenthusiaste

A 70's home might actually have wood paneling in it. My parent's home did and you even have the same hardware on the cabinets. If you decide to paint the paneling, clean it with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate,) rinse, let dry, lightly sand, tack off sanding dust, prime with 2 coats KILZ or Zinzer and then paint two coats of your color. Not sure I'd get into doing all the trim though. Live there 6 mos to a year before starting anything major. There can be other surprises with a "new to you" home that require cash outflow.

• everdebz

Hi. I re-read your initial post which said you're keeping the cabinets - is any of it solid wood... any of the fronts not closing well, etc... water damage under sink? I ask cause that's my situation.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

there are 50 better alternatives than leaving those bookcases and brick as is. (and yes, remove the paneling, the flooring, and everything else in that room)

here's the brick painted, the insert painted, and new bookcases.

You can buy cheap bookcases and modify them w/trim to update those things from the 50's. I wouldnt waste time and paint painting them.

buy unfinished base cabinet. paint. paint the shelves and do some thicker molding around it. new wood mantle.

Go to this blog and read how they did this w/Ikea billy bookcases

you could buy a base cabinet, install it, and cut some wood for open shelves like this

or like this one. take the wood and top the bood cases w/them. you can paint the brick any color

or, no cabinet, just float some shelving, paint brick, remove insert, and paint the walls

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Everdebz: thank you for all the articles. I read them all.

Regarding the 1979 cabinets- yes they are solid wood. I’ll message you.

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Beth- Fantastic suggestions and insight. Thank you for the photos, tips, and guidance.

I really liked this idea with the wood topped cabinets. Having the brown wood there would potentially allow me to keep the brown baseboard trim and window trim?

What color fireplace do you think would look best?

• tozmo1

You can cover paneling with a certain type of paintable wallpaper. Here's a link to a good article on it. https://supernovaadventures.com/2017/02/using-paintable-wallpaper-to-cover-wood-paneling/. Just an option if it helps with the budget.

I wouldn't assume the paneling is over drywall unless it sounds really solid if you knock on it.

All the best to you, looks like you have a great house to work on. Love your cat!

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Tozmo: thank you for the information and link. :-)

I did not know that product existed.

I am going to the house tomorrow to meet the 88 year old woman who has lived there for 43 years.

I will knock on the paneling and ask if she remembers if there’s drywall underneath. I’m thinking her late husband may have installed it himself years ago… I am going to ask.

We close the first week of April and I will be able to look underneath then.

• nelliebean

Congratulations on your new home purchase. Honestly I wouldn't touch the family room or kitchen other than a good clean. It's a little dated, but once your furniture is in place the panelling will fade into the background. Judging by your photos (which are lovely btw) your books will look good on the shelves flanking the fireplace. I would concentrate on good lighting as it doesn't look like this room would get much sunlight.

• ffpalms

I just wanted to chime in with all the other posters suggesting a lighter, softer palette. I particularly liked that kitchen photo everdebz posted with the whitewashed brick. Here’s an example of a similar palette that you might find inspiring. Also including an image of a lovely lamp that was in a link everdebz posted about curiosity cabinet chic. Some of those natural objects shown with it would look wonderful on your shelves. I would want to leave all the paneling and built-ins for the texture, but paint it all light.

• PRO
    Fanstone Home

Fanstone Home focus on nature stone furniture design & manufacture. Maybe will you consider nature stone tables? For more designs, check here https://www.fanstonehome.com/

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Nelliebean: thank you for the words of encouragement. :-)

As far as the kitchen goes, eventually I’d like to do new counters, backsplash, lighting, and appliances. I need to figure out my plan for the cabinets.

I agree about the lighting in the family room. It’s a west facing window. There’s currently no lighting installed in that room.

• C Rebekah
    Автор

FFPalms: thank you for the feedback and inspiring photos. I actually saved that same exact photo you attached from the curiosity cabinet chic article :-)

Thank you for the feedback on the paneling. What color would you paint it? And would you leave the upper and lower trim brown?

• C Rebekah
    Автор

The paneling has drywall underneath. The upper and bottom trim is wood but unfortunately the paneling itself is not…

I am still not sure if it is attached with liquid adhesive. I will be able to pull a piece back when we close.

• grapefruit1_ar

Your style is very lovely! Do not sell yoirself short. HOW do you have all of those beautuful plants with cats??

I agree with much of the advice given. Paint and new flooring make huge changes in a home. Personally I have yet to see an attactive fireplace that was painted white, black, or gray. I think that it cheapens the look and looks so ” fake”.

Some of the lighter ” washes” can be very nice. Choose carefully and slowly.

After seeing the pics of your previous homes you have proven that you will make great choices. Enjoy !

• ffpalms

This is the color palette I had in mind for your fireplace and cabinets, with the same creamy white on the walls. I would not leave any brown trim.

• everdebz

Another rug:

Nourison Vintage Kashan 7'10" x 9'10" Red/Multicolor Vintage Indoor Area Rug · Еще

• everdebz

houzz: "Try grouping items by color, shape or theme. This works for art as well as objects."

If you want another type of fp, here's an idea... and lamp/ chair in the corner instead.

Regal Heights · Еще

• everdebz

Now I see that it's not a table, but shelving. Maybe your fp could be less wide, for more 'breathing room' around it.

Regal Heights · Еще

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Update… we are leaning towards this look:

• C Rebekah
    Автор

My painter is painting them for “free” (he’s including it in the price of painting all the trim, window casings, door jams).

I’m going to replace the scalloped wood valance. The fireplace insert will be replaced with a black one.

The cabinets and fireplace will be painted the same shade of white. I am thinking grey for the back of the shelves.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

make sure he primes the brick first or else it's going to soak up a ton of paint.

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Beth, do you have a preferred color for white trim? We are using Sherwin Williams. I am leaning forwards Anew Gray for the walls.

• tozmo1

What did you decide to do with the paneling on the walls?

• PRO
    Beth H. :

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/paint-colour-review-sherwin-williams-anew-gray-sw-7030/

I always like to use a nice crisp white. In my living area I did simply white on the walls and trim. in my bedroom I did the Base 1 White straight from the can. (they add a few squirts of white tint but no other color. it's just a pure white ) I also use this Base 1 white for all my ceilings. I like a super bright ceiling white.

Here's the Simply White trim shown w/Light Pewter on the walls.

Here's the Base 1 white on the molding and I believe the ceiling is a flat ceiling paint . no added tint to that either. wall color is Gray Cloud.

So try the ProClassic, (pro classic is a nice wood trim paint. I wouldn't use Emerald or their other paint. ) Base 1 white with added white tint. and then try a sample of Pure White

few other combos for you.

Origami White (walls) and Pure White trim

Agreeable Gray and Alabaster

what color are you doing the brick?

Here's Anew Gray on the walls AND the trim. do a semi gloss on the trim and the color will look slightly different.

• ffpalms

I really like the look you’re leaning toward. If you are keeping the two cabinets, I would also leave the wood paneling. The panel inserts on the cabinet doors ties in nicely with the wall paneling. With everything painted white, I think the texture of the paneling would add a bit of nostalgic character to the room.

• C Rebekah
    Автор

FFPalms and Tozmo, we decided to keep the paneling for two reasons. 1) my husband really likes it and 2) when we tried to gently remove it, we discovered a lot of it is glued on with a LOT of liquid adhesive.

We decided that for budget and time reasons, we will try keeping the paneling. If I hate it, my husband assured me we can eventually put new paneling up. As you mentioned FFPalms, I think it could add some nice nostalgic character.

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Beth,

Thank you SO much for all the awesome pictures and info. My painter recommended Pure White for all the trim, window casings, door jam, paneling… it’s what he painted at my parents house years ago and it looks really good.

I saw this Alabaster white kitchen with Anew Gray walls and thought it looked so nice. This kitchen has been my “inspiration” for my budget kitchen remodel since the layout is so similar and they also have the 70s cathedral design on the cabinets.

My painter recommended using the same white for the kitchen cabinets as the trim, paneling etc. he also recommended using the same white on the fireplace. Is that too much of the same exact white?

So the fireplace, shelves, paneling, and trim would all be the same white in the family room. In the next room, the kitchen, the trim and cabinets would be the same white. I was thinking Anew Grey on the walls in both kitchen and living room. Potentially with a darker grey on paneling behind shelves…

• C Rebekah
    Автор

I tried to edit my vision in. The back of the book shelves might look good in the Amazing Gray.

• C Rebekah
    Автор

The walls would be Anew Grey and the trim, paneling, shelves, AND fireplace alabaster… thoughts anyone?

• PRO
    Beth H. :

hmm,, That could work. why not get a sample of the Alabaster and see if you like it? prime the paneling first, and just paint a patch of it. I'd prefer something a bit whiter, but that's me.

I'd also try a diff white for the kitchen cabinets. Alabaster can be a little too warm or yellow looking.

Always, always, have a sample door painted by the painter BEFORE you decide on a color. Please trust me on this one.

(what is the countertop?)

Have him do one in Pure White too. Snowbound is a great cab color,

so is Simply White.

as for the bookshelves, if the walls are anew gray, then go for some other contrast w/the back panel. Try black, or Urbane bronze, or something w/a bit more drama. then style the shelves with the right items. (Goggle image "how to style bookcase" to get ideas).

you could opt to paint the book cases a darker color. next to the white brick something darker than the Anew Gray might look really nice.

how about black? Black and Anew gray would be nice together. Then you could do a a lighter back panel, or even the Anew Gray for the back. Actually, look at SW Black Fox. it's not as dramatic as a black and has more grayish brown in it. Peppercorn is good too

You could also get peel and stick wallpaper for that back panel

Get a sample of Incredible White for a compliment to the Anew Gray. shown here. Alabaster has more yellow in it.

• ffpalms

I love the look of that Incredible White that Beth suggested against the Anew Gray. I, too, think the Alabaster seems too yellow. Beth is full of good ideas, though personally, I think the cabinets, shelves and fireplace should be the same color. It’s a narrow room, and I think all white (even on the walls and paneling) would help open it up visually. I also like your idea of a darker color behind the shelves. If you have an idea of what you will be displaying in them, it may help to think about that while searching for just the right color (or wallpaper). That image you photoshopped looks fantastic! What a difference!

• tozmo1

Good for you for keeping the paneling! Not that I love paneling but I love to see people spend their budget where it will make the most impact. Changing out that paneling vs painting would not offer much impact for the cost. Painting is certainly the most cost effective and less hassle option. IMO you've made the wise choice.

• RedRyder

I am another vote for a more pure white on the fireplace. It will always work with your decor, even when you want to change it. And yes, have one cabinet door painted before you make that huge decision. I’m glad you’re working with the house’s current architectural features and making them more modern. The fireplace-and-bookcases look is great when it matches your personal taste. (Sorry about discovering the liquid glue on the wood…)

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Houz

Thank you so much to everyone who has commented. It has been so helpful.

Bath and FfPalms, I agree with you that Alabaster would be too yellow. I decided on Pure White by Sherwin Williams, one of Beth’s suggestions. I will have him paint one cabinet door first as Beth suggested.

My husband really wants to keep the scalloped valance. He really likes them. He has compromised a lot for me so I am going to try the valances for now. But the one above the kitchen window is for sure going!

The book case will most likely hold a lot of low-light plants (window has western facing small windows), books, and some family photos.

The paneling, trim, bookcase, and fireplace will all be pure white. I am still leaning towards Anew Grey for the walls. I like that it is neutral with subtle warmth.

I do not know what color to do for the back of the bookcases yet. I was thinking a darker warm grey?

Here it is primed…. Exciting…

Does anyone have any input on color for back of shelves? Or even other wall colors for hallway, living room, dining room, etc you would personally pair with anew grey?

We still have to pick out LVP flooring. I am leaning towards the LifeProof Home Depot brand. I prefer darker browns. The LVP will be throughout entire home.

Thank you everyone for all the input and ideas so far. It has helped a lot.

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Here are some colors… I really like neutrals with some warmth. Unfortunately I’m not a fan of light blues like Little Blue Box. I think earthy tones, grays, and greens are very nice.

• C Rebekah
    Автор

Maybe Mega Greige, keystone gray, dovetail, or gauntlet gray for back of shelves and another room

• ffpalms

Thank YOU, C Rebekah, for letting us live through your remodel vicariously. I am thrilled with the this amazing transformation. You are creating such a wonderful backdrop for all of the things you will bring into this room to give it your personalities. I would have a hard time choosing the color for behind the shelves, as so many of the colors you’re drawn to would look beautiful. You may want to wait until your furniture and rug are in place to help you decide. Do you have any art that you know you will be using? That might be helpful, too. I’m glad you will be putting in a darker brown floor. I think it is timeless.

• tozmo1

It's looking so good! I agree, let DH keep the valances. A small compromise for sure!

I've been in the market for LVP myself. I fought it tooth and nail as I wanted to make engineered hardwood work but everyone advised against it due to possible moisture in the area. Soooo, the one that delivered the most realistic LVP look for a price point I could handle (it's a really big area) is Coretec. Check them out if you haven't already. I went with a lighter floor so can't advise on possibilities for you.

• RedRyder

You may want to use removable wallpaper on the back wall of the shelves. I would go super neutral like the brick color so your eyes can imagine something more interesting later on. Can you post the floor color you’re considering?

• PRO
    Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes

This is an example of our work. You can paint the shelves and remove some of them. Also you can use a different color and repaint the bricks.

• PRO
    lisedv
    в прошлом году

Look really nice! You must be happy!

• ffpalms
    в прошлом году

Thanks so much for posting this update. I didn’t notice the stacked brick corbels(?) below the mantle when it was dark brick. I love the look of them. Seeing that squared detail makes me think you were correct to remove the curvy scallops above the cabinets. I’m really looking forward to seeing more of your efforts. I do have one suggestion - I feel the wall vents should be painted to match the walls. This has been quite the transformation! I love your choice of floor and fan.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    в прошлом году

what a diff! looking good

• RedRyder
    в прошлом году

Wow! Looks so much brighter! Good paint job.

Sponsored