Houzz Logo Print
winnie_standish

Need help balancing a black iron display cabinet in all white kitchen

wj 84
Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

I am having my kitchen re-done, and I really wanted to have a black iron display cabinet as part of my all-white kitchen (shown in red box), however now that I see the 1st set of drawings, I am rethinking it as I am worried about the overall design being balanced either symmetrically or even asymmetrical.

- For reference:

- The kitchen is U-shaped, and the kitchen island will not be symmetrical to the range

- My island sink will be all black, including all cabinet hardware, and light over the island.

I am open to having the island front panel, or another wall cabinet be black if that helps?

OR should I eliminate the black iron display cabinet and keep it white?

Thanks for your help/suggestions :)

The left side is open into a living room, which is the only place this 'view' would be seen from.

This is the view you see everywhere else, we have a partition wall that hides part of the kitchen that cannot be removed.

Комментарии: 18

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

I need to see the cabinets and the display cabinet . My first question is what are you displaying ?

• N Johnson

Finish on your faucet? Black? Any other black in the room? Black island base?

• wj 84
    Автор

@Patricia Colwell Consulting The cabinet is similar to this one (black metal frame doors), and the cabinets are all 'simply white' shaker cabinets with black hardware. I'll be displaying plates and vases primarily. Thanks for your help.

• wj 84
    Автор

@N Johnson The faucet and sink will both be matte black. The island could be black if that makes sense, or another cabinet in the kitchen, but I am just unsure which one makes sense? Thanks for your help.

• N Johnson

Search Houzz photos for “black and white kitchen”. I think it looks a little imbalanced right now, all the black is on the left.

• jackowskib

i would go for a different look with the pendants

• rnonwheels

I likw where you are going. Even black strand mixer or containers in the right hand corner will add additional balance. I like the black stools better than the island being black because they have a similiar "weight" to them as the cabinet - where as the whole island will be heavy. It looks great to me!

• Tanya

Hello

I just redid my kitchen, first time ever. At first it was almost all white. I just wasn’t feeling it and knew I needed something more me. I ended up doing a mix of black and white cabs and couldn’t be happier. I would have been so disappointed if I did all white, especially after spending all of that money. I don’t think most people ever get the chance to remodel a kitchen, this may be your one chance. I say go for it, get what you love. Personally I think it would look amazing. I think others gave some great ways to tie in additional black pieces. It looks like you are doing a paneled fridge on the other side, you could always just do a black stainless or matte black fridge. I think Samsung also now makes customizable 4 door fridges where you can choose the color/finish for the top and bottom doors. Good luck, I think it’s going to look lovely. Please keep us posted.

• everdebz

Curious what the stove hood is like [and contrast with white cabinets]?

• RedRyder

@N Johnson gave you a great idea. Looking at black and white kitchens will show you how others balanced the two. I agree with Jan that a black sink can be a nightmare to keep clean. If you have hard water, the black faucet can create an unhappy relationship. Love the black hardware and stools too. Research darker appliances. There are black stoves but those tend to be $$$$! Your refrigerator being a darker color would provide the balance you need.

I like the idea of the black rimmed door for your special cabinet. It is unbalanced right now so do the b&w kitchen search.

• N Johnson

Going back to your first architectural drawing, you have the balance in the countertop cabinet next to the refrigerator. Make the upper black — voila! Adding in some wood is a great thought. The clear oak is very pretty and would look awesome on the island and hood trim.

• elisejames

I second @janinroch with the wood idea and also note that if you don’t want to do wood, you need a third color to bridge. The issue now I think is it’s too stark. Adding blue, green, or even gold hardware might help.

• barncatz
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

FWIW, I have a black sink (a repurposed high school lab sink) and love it. It's been much easier to keep looking nice than my stainless steel sink, so there must be a lot of variables influencing that.

I love your black cabinet and think incorporating some wood is a fabulous idea.

• barncatz
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

This whole blog might spark some ideas. I think in addition to balancing the black color, you need to balance the industrial, or maybe just funky, style elsewhere in the kitchen. The right side of your kitchen is more the standard modern farmhouse, even your hardware.

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/2019-kitchen-trends-with-staying-power

• tracie_erin

I would do the range hood cabinet, the refrigerator upper/surround, and possibly the island cabinetry black to balance.

• Hope Stewart

I have no idea if this is an option or how it would be accomplished, buuuut... what if instead of black iron cladding on doors you use a more gray/pewter steel colored metal? It would be less demanding visually and if your fridge is stainless it would play well with that and provide a little symmetry. You could still keep black lights and sink and hardware if you're really loving those and wanting black accents.

• PRO
    Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes

I would suggest to keep the display cabinet white if you want the kitchen to look more open. However, you can keep it black but I would suggest to use good lighting and nude color décor.