Houzz Logo Print
webuser_812124615

Kitchen/diner lighting advice

E H
Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

Hi all, just wanting a little advice on lighting in our new kitchen. It's a large room 8x4m with 3 large windows. Electrician has suggested splitting half warm white (dining end) half cool white (kitchen +island end) but I'm not sure if this won't look a bit odd having 2 different in one room. The other option is choose one throughout. I would prefer warm white as I think cool can be a bit stark but hubby says he thinks most people have cool white in a kitchen.... Any advice on this would be great. Thanks.

Комментарии: 10

• PRO
    Carla Mackay Interiors

Perhaps what the electrician was suggesting was that you keep the task lighting a bit brighter than the rest of the room. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that but I would always choose warm light, just add more of it in the task areas. Cool light may spoil the ambiance of the space which you have no doubt worked hard to make warm and inviting.

• User

What type of lighting? I have recessed downlights in the kitchen area and a single dropdown light fitting above the dining table. Works for my room measuring about 6m x 3m.

• minnie101

I would definitely have the same light. Have a look on this link for sime visuals.

Are you having pendants over the island and table?

https://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-which-colour-temperature-.html

• Charlotte Scott

Depending on budget you can look at Philips hue and other products which you can have as cool or warm depending what you’re doing.

• E H
    Автор

We are having recessed downlights and the light won't be changeable but will all be dimmable. We have quite a few so I don't think budget will stretch to Philips Hue. We have one pendant over table and one over the island but maybe a large one with 2 or 3 bulbs off it, I've not picked it yet. My kitchen is all dark and floor will be dark grey tiles but all walls white and like I say, 3 large windows. I'm really not sure what to pick even having read all the info about different light colours. I don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it!

• Jonathan

Choose warm white everywhere but choose dimmable options for the best control

• 1shanson

I believe it’s not just a choice of warm or cool lights, there are also natural lights as well as variations in each category. I would advise you to research some of the excellent internet articles that are out there before making any decisions.

• Juliet Docherty

Warm white but make sure they are high CRI. This refers to how accurately colours are rendered but more importantly cheap LEDs tend to be low CRI, which can look a bit greenish.

• E H
    Автор

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it.