Houzz Logo Print
samuelgfield08

Minimum width of downstairs loo

Sam F
Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

We are redesigning our kitchen / side return extension and want to steal some width from our downstairs loo. We would be looking at 865mm wide, 1517mm deep/long. Is that wide enough?? It’s just a loo, nothing more.

Комментарии: 10

• Sam F
    Автор

Thanks - general consensus is it’ll be snug but workable. Re the island, this has been the source of a lot of debate! It’s a 600mm deep island with integrated bench seating for the dining table, which helps. We weren’t sure if we had the room either but during a consolation with a respected interior designer she suggested it and was very confident it would work… 🤷🏻‍♂️

• PRO
    Carla Mackay Interiors

It will be snug in there but it will be just enough space. Definitely invest in a big round oversized mirror for this space. I would paint it one colour. Don’t pick out the skirting and ceilings just stick to one colour and get a wall light in there as well a pendant.

• Sam F
    Автор

Thanks Carla, just checking you are talking about the loo, and not the kitchen? Cheers

• Jonathan

Not true viv holliday

• Victoria

Do you really want loo opening into kitchen? Can it not go elsewhere?

• viv holliday

The new building regs were drafted about 1985(?). The person drafting them tried to write 'you may not have a toilet pan in your kitchen' - . However the way he wrote it was unclear. The building regs are a statutory document, but they come with an interpretation that is not a statutory document.

The interpretation interpreted the regs as saying 'you may not have a toilet in a room that opens off your kitchen. Ridiculous that the regs require interpreting by the same body that wrote them, but... Therefore in houses/extensions/alterations of this period, you will find an additional artificial lobby area built between the two.

About 1995-2000, there was a new interpretation of the existing regs. The new interpretation states clearly that the regs had previously been misinterpreted, and that all that they prohibit is a toilet pan in the kitchen.

Now, if you have a house in multiple occupation in Westminster, suddenly you fall under environmental health, not building control. EH in Westminster (I cannot comment on other parts of the country) have their own delightful regulations that ban you from having a toilet in a room off the kitchen... so you have to have a lobby again.

To cut a long story short, I suggest you check with your local planning office.

• Sam F
    Автор

The toilet is currently a shower room and is being reduced in size. It sits between the family room in the middle (old dining room) and the kitchen, which is all open-plan, which isn’t apparent from the photo. There is no toilet pan in the kitchen 😂

• Wumi

800mm is the narrowest I believe but as others have suggested I’d ask building control to confirm.