Houzz Logo Print
webuser_284913504

painting or rendering a brick house?

Rose213 Gl
Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

Hello all, was walking in the neighbourhood today and i saw few brick houses which were beautifully painted. They looked modern and nice. Painting is a cheaper alternative to rendering for a modern look but regardless of cost, I don’t like rendered houses. But i read on some websites paint don’t let the bricks to breathe and can cause deterioration of bricks. Is that correct? Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Комментарии: 3

• User

I'll let the experts answer , but my preference is to keep brick as brick , and tidy it or modernise it or distract the eyes or whatever you want to achieve , by concentrating on the details -- it can be the gardens and fences , painting the gutters a different colour , changing the front door ( or painting it a different colour ) , adding battens over a window , changing a plasterboard panel for real wood slats ( then staining ) , even things like the front fence .

If the brick is shocking , then sell haha .

• PRO
    iBuild Group Pty Ltd

Painting brick is definitely a more cost effective option if you don’t like the brick look, however if your going for a more modern look, render is the way to go. Perhaps most a picture of the exterior to see how it works with the rest of the house for advice.

• Kate

Painting brick can look heaps better at fraction of cost of render.
    Decision to paint/render depends on whether you like the bricks as is.
    You can also bag and paint.