Houzz Logo Print
katpic

where to start on major kitchen renovation (designer or no designer)?

Kathleen Picard
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
we are planning a kitchen remodel. we will gut the kitchen. we know the basic footprint but have not yet decided on design details (wood type, cabinet style, hardware, cabinet finish, ceiling treatment, window treatment, cabinet organization, island style, edging on counter stone, stone choices). we have gotten several estimates from contractors (including one from an architect/contractor). My husband and i are disagreement on whether or not we need to bring in a designer. I think we need a design schematic in order to get a reliable quote, as the details of the design will impact the price and might drive up our quote once we get in to laying out the details. my husband (and the many who have given us a quote) feel we have done a lot of homework, looked at lots of pictures etc and feel we can just get right to it and make decisions with the architect as he lays out the 3D. I worry we will get a mish-mash of mixed design styles and not an over all cohesive, balanced design. I worry about making unilateral design decisions....I don't want decide on one finish without knowing where I am going with the other (as and example - island style & finish vs perimeter cabinets style & finish). Being that we want the kitchen to set the tone for the rest of the house (it is an open kitchen that really will be the heart of the house and we also plan to do so renovation in adjoining rooms down the way, that surely we want to work with the kitchen style we go with). we have a mediterranean style house and want that influence inside the home without going overboard (want a high end look, with a nod to old world, along with some coastal influences, but primarily traditional - with no real idea how to pull this off!) we plan to spend about $80-$100K so I do not want any regrets. What would be a reasonable fee for a design schematic? Am i correct to insist on a professional designer to help us? I do not want any regrets down the road.
thanks for your opinion(s).
Kat

Комментарии: 16

• PRO
    The Custom Vent Hood Company
    We create custom vent hoods that are designed to be the focal point of the kitchen, from traditional to contemporary styles, keep us in mind as your remodel comes to fruition, wish you the best.
    Kathleen Picard поблагодарил(а): The Custom Vent Hood Company
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    For your very specific needs, I recommend that your designer has a NKBA certification. Start with this link: http://www.nkba.org/learn/professionals/Certification/NKBACertifications.aspx

Good luck. I think your kitchen has the potential to be something quite wonderful which you will enjoy for a long time and it will certainly enhance the value of your house as well as inspire the rest of your decor.

Cynthia
    Kathleen Picard поблагодарил(а): Cynthia Taylor-Luce
  • PRO
    R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    Hire a designer. There are so many issues with a kitchen that you might make a mistake without knowing until it is too late. Not to mention that you may not know of all the new material on the market, so you might pick something that is outdated without knowing it.
    Kathleen Picard поблагодарил(а): R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    Every custom kitchen firm has a designer on their staff. First, however, I would go to the photo gallery on Houzz, type in kitchens and look at all of the details that would make your kitchen, you. Do you like the lighting in this kitchen, but the style of the cabinet doors in another kitchen. Compile your favorites into Your Houzz tab and take that to the designer. It's the bells and whistles of a kitchen that will make it a show stopper.
    Kathleen Picard поблагодарил(а): JWinteriors
  • PRO
    Wholesale Flooring Orange County
    I own my own firm in Southern California and most of my clients invest in their homes with the same thoughtful approach you are taking. When asked, I will always advise them to either hire an independent designer or work with a firm with a quality in house one. WIth the budget you have, you should be able to create a remarkable space. A good designer will ensure that the design is well thought out and properly executed and should be an advocate of you, keeping the contractors honest while keeping you informed. You lay out a great case for a designer yourself. You clearly are thinking this through, I would trust your instincts. If you let us know where you live maybe someone in this thread could make a recommendation. Good luck.
    Kathleen Picard поблагодарил(а): Wholesale Flooring Orange County
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    Don't assume that just because a cabinet company has a 'designer' that they are the best person for the job. Do ask about their qualifications and look at their portfolio to see if they have the depth of knowlege and the taste to handle your job. I know of a number of cabinet companies who have 'designers' who use a standardized computer program to arrange the cabinets and fill gaps with filler pieces. You sound like you want a custom kitchen which would require more specialized knowledge. That's why I still recommend a NKBA certified designer, ideally one who works independently.
    Kathleen Picard поблагодарил(а): Cynthia Taylor-Luce
  • PRO
    Design Studio International
    Katpic, as a Certified Kitchen Designer (CKD) with over 30 years of experience, I'm very happy to hear that you believe you need to work with a professional kitchen designer. The kitchen is the most complex and costliest room in the house and you plan to make a large investment in it. The smartest thing to do is to research the local professional designers and to ask for in home design consultation to discuss in depth your project.
    You and your husband may have a pretty good idea what you would like to do, but a really good designer will be able to bring so much more to your project, because that's what we do day in and day out - come up with innovative, fresh ideas to solve the existing problems of the space, both functionally and aesthetically.
    Please have the courage of your conviction that you need to work with professional kitchen designer and do not listen to the contractors telling you otherwise. And Cynthia is right - you really need to start your search with the NKBA' Certified Kitchen Designers in your area. And then look at each of their portfolios carefully to see who has the best ideas, as the best indicator of future sucess is always past performance. Ask to see the floor plans - before and after - as well. It will show you what the layout was, what the problems were and how the new layout provided solutions functionally and visually. Remember, layout is king - it determines how the space will function. My first goal on every project is to design a layout that ensures the best possible use of the space - nothing less. I'm sure that you and your husband will want to achieve the same for your kitchen too. This requires creativity, thinking outside of the box, expertise, great deal of specialized knowledge and proven performance. These are the qualities you need to search for in your future designer. Talk with their past clients, do not relay strictly on online reviews. No other room in the house has the potential to improve and enhance your lives as the kitchen does and you're very wise to start with this project and set the tone of the entire house with it. And last, but not least - all the great kitchens you see on Houzz and elsewhere were created by great designers in collaboration with their clients.
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    Hi Kat,
    You may want to start with visiting some showrooms to get a feel for your style and different types of materials. If you're in the area, you're welcome to join us for breakfast and an informative beginners kitchen design class every second saturday of the month. You can bring some photos of your space and speak to professionals.

Here is a link with more info on the class: http://www.leichtny.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration

Best of luck with the new kitchen!
  • PRO
    Expressive Interiors
    I think you need to hire a designer. The amount of money you save by hiring a designer will pay for the designer itself. We can help make choices quickly and can come up with solutions that save you money. We also catch any issues quickly so that your project doesn't take too long. There are so many options out there for all the items that you have yet to make decisions on that having a designer can help you narrow those down based on what you like. It really seems like your best option here. I also like to say that we are part marriage counselor a as we are tasked with making sure both spouses like the design. We help you compromise! Have fun on your project!
  • PRO
    Hi Kat,
    I'm really curious (as I'm sure all the pros in this discussion are) what have you decided to do -
    to hire a designer or not? Have you talked to any professional kitchen designers in your area and what have you found? If you and your husband haven't made any decision yet, don't worry - it's better to think carefully about all aspects of the project and get exposed to as many styles, designs and designers as possible and become truly educated consumers before you decide. This way you'll recognize a great designer when you meet him/her, one who'll come up with the best design - in collaboration with both of you - for your new kitchen. Because there's no doubt that only with the help of a very talented and experienced professional kitchen designer will you be able to achieve the best possible results, both functionally and aesthetically. An update of where you are currently in the process will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  • PRO
    PPF.
    Year old post
  • PRO
    ppf, I'm aware that this discussion is a year old. As you probably know, people sometimes take a long time to make a decision about such a large project. I just hope Kat will be kind enough to let us know what they decided and if their new kitchen is finished, how did it turn out? Perhaps she'll post some photos?
  • Kathleen Picard
    Автор
    Thank you for the comments. We have not made any decisions yet. After interviewing a handful of designers as well as consulting with an architect our scope has grown. We now want to take down a wall and open up the formal area to the sea view. Frankly I'm overwhelmed. is it best to start with an architect or a designer?
  • PRO
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    Katpic,
    Thank you for the update! As I had thought, you're exploring your options and that's the best thing you can do! If you're lucky enough to have a sea view, by all means make sure you can enjoy it as much as possible. The wall you want to take down to achieve this - is it part of the kitchen now? If so, that's great. You can have a fabulous new kitchen and enjoy the view!
    If taking down this wall is the major change you plan for the interior (even if it's a load bearing wall), you don't necessarily need an architect. There are many knowledgeable and imaginative kitchen designers, who take a wall down - or two or three, etc. - routinely as part of redesigning the space. If they need help with structural changes, they'll consult professional engineers. In fact, it's practically impossible to design a truly great kitchen without doing this. I know it's always a part of my designs, as I strive to create a distinctive architectural envelope for the new kitchen. Try to see as many "Before and After" as possible. Look for truly dramatic transformations and talk to the designers in your area who have the best. If you can't find any, talk to an architect who has done it well. If you end up working with an architect, make sure you also work with a great kitchen designer, because architects do not specialize in kitchens and baths and do not have the specialized knowledge needed to ensure a great kitchen. This is a knowledge we spend a lifetime amassing and there are no short cuts in obtaining it. I hope this helps you to not feel so overwhelmed and I hope also that you'll be lucky to find the best professional(s) for your project, so please continue with your search. Let me know how I can be of further help to you.
  • PRO
    ep visualz - Architectural Rendering - 3D Models
    Katpic:

As many of the other posts have mentioned, it is important to have a qualified kitchen designer on your team. Whomever you hire should also be familiar with local building codes and construction as well. Nothing wrong with consulting several professionals as they each have expertise in a certain area but they should all be working together to ensure a successful project. I will often work with a designer or architect to put their ideas into a 3D rendering which is not always their specialty.

Good luck with your project.