Houzz Logo Print
hechan

Built in TV unit & shelving advice

hechan
Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

Hi, we are wanting to add a built in TV unit and shelving/storage around the TV and wanting some design advice.
Attached is a mock up of a design but something doesn’t sit right with me. The cabinet on the right seems like it closes off the space? Thoughts?
If you are facing the TV, to the left is the open plan kitchen and to the right is a window.
I’m also concerned the shelving might make it look messy and cluttered particularly once the shelves are filled with things.
Has anyone done something similar and can attach some pictures? I’m open to any design ideas and doesn’t have to be similar to the design attached.
Thanks in advance.

Комментарии: 7

• macyjean

My first thought was that's a lot of display shelves so your concern about looking cluttered might be justified.

Is the design based on the amount of storage and display you have counted that you require, or is it based on trying to fill the wall in some pleasing manner and figuring out what to put where later?

If you have so much to display, my feeling is it would let better with a more regular pattern of open shelves, perhaps varying in height to suit the items but nothing more. Right now it takes the description 'floating shelves' a bit far like they are floating everywhere.

I have seen pictures of seemingly random floating shelves which nevertheless look well balanced, so it can be done but it's an art to get it right. Maybe someone else can see how to work it, but like I said, my first thought was about so many shelves.

• hechan
    Автор

Thank you both for your comments. That is really helpful! The design was done more so to fill an empty wall, rather than having some items in mind to display then designing shelving to fit the pieces.
    I do love the second picture!

• PRO
    Laura Deane

My pleasure. :) Good luck with the project. If you want to add something else to fill the wall I'd add a plant along there. Maybe against the kitchen to soften the side.

• robandlyn

At the very least, lose the top 2 shelves - there are just too many and it looks cluttered.

• macyjean
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

What do you like about the second picture?

I like both pictures. But the first one gives you a sense of the layout of the whole wall whereas the second one does not, it doesn't even show the whole tv.

I'm no expert but looking at the first picture even though there are different elements in it the sides line up. reading down the wall, there's a wide shelf, another wide shelf, a narrow shelf and the tv side by side, and a wide drawer unit. On one side is a vertical unit. It has variation and it's not symmetrical yet somehow it looks, what would you call it, ordered? Taking a guess, the second one might be symmetrical, which is simpler and works well.

I thought of something else. If you want to put up floating shelves and definitely if you want to put anything with weight on them, you need to attach them to the studs in the walls, so you need to find where those are before you can make any decisions. Same for floating cabinetry.

• Julie Herbert

Love your idea, but it could look a little cluttered unless you use minimal pieces on the shelves, have you seen the new timber slat sheeting that you attach to the walls, it looks fabulous and very stylish, you can do an entire wall or just integrate it into your design. Modular shelving looks great also.