Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9904601

Rumpus Room Placement

User
Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Just a general discussion .

In a typical 2 storey house , with the living type areas downstairs , and bedrooms upstairs , is it best to have a rumpus room downstairs too , where they are easier to be kept an eye on at a descrete distance ; or upstairs where toys can be returned to individual rooms and there is generally more privacy ?

I've had 3 longer term live-in girlfriends over the years that have children , and only ever once had a 2 storey house ( well , it was actually a 3 storey mock tudor , each floor smaller than the one below ) but I've never had an upstairs rumpus , and as a kid , our house was 1 level too .

Just wondering about your opinions .

Комментарии: 3

• Kate

Ideally bedrooms should be a quiet zone, so living downstairs. Young kids need to be observed any want to be with parents so downstairs, As they get older they want to have their own space and may be happy with tv room upstairs.

User поблагодарил(а): Kate
  • oklouise

in my experience young children with all their toys prefer to be closer to the adults and the adults usually need to supervise during daylight hours and it's more likely older kids and teenagers who want more private spaces and that could mean an upstairs bedroom and TV room away from general family activity but, given the choice, our older kids preferred an out of the way downstairs bed sitting room where they could entertain their friends and were never happy with the same space upstairs but most families have to use what they have available...i think of a rumpus room as a space for noisy activities and upstairs for quiet times

User поблагодарил(а): oklouise
  • PRO
    Laura Deane
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

I like to try to keep bedrooms as a quiet and calm zone. I think the best thing you can do with a rumpus area or playroom is to be able to close it off - doesn't matter where in the house it is. That way you can hide the mess until you can deal with it later.

If you are worried about smaller kids, then simply have a small storage basket of toys in the family area to have on hand. But it doesn't need all the toys - just a few select ones that you can rotate around. Kids get bored of toys easily as well so this keeps them feeling fresh and then everything can go back in the playroom...wherever that may be.

User поблагодарил(а): Laura Deane