Houzz Logo Print
ashley_lauren36

is PA Soapstone actually soapstone?

Alaur87
Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Back again and looking for advice! I went to a local provider who had three slabs of what they call “PA soapstone” and viewed them. The individual working there told me they were a “5” on the Mohs scale. I’ve been reading about products being sold as soapstone that are actually serpentine and know that this falls outside of traditional soapstone hardness scale rating. Does any soapstone expert out there know if this kind of stone labeled “PA” is actually soapstone?

Комментарии: 27

• darbuka

Ashley, here’s a link for you. About PA soapstone. Whether what your ”local guy” is selling is the real thing...I’d be more confident if he was a true soapstone supplier, and not a yard that sells mostly granite, marble and quartzite. But, we’ve had this discussion before...

• darbuka

Here are more links for you to peruse: PA soapstone, Google

• pennfire

I can’t offer any thoughts on that particular stone but we bought something labeled as Marine black soapstone from a well established stone yard that is actually a Phyllite. It looks great in our master bath but it shows every splash of water. Given his choice, my husband would have it ripped out and replaced.

• PRO
    Casa Bella Designs

PA Soapstone is a real Soapstone. I got a sample of it from El Dorado, which is a pretty reputable soapstone supplier.

• darbuka

Which is exactly why soapstone should not be purchased from a “stone yard”, no matter how ”well established.” A dedicated soapstone dealer/fabricator, is the only safe place to purchase soapstone. They can be found in most parts of the US....M. Teixeira (the largest), Garden State Soapstone, Vermont Soapstone, Dorado Soapstone, are a few that come to mind.

• Alaur87
    Автор

Darbuka thank you! It’s a longer drive for us to Teixara so we decided to do a local stop first. Pennfire how did you find out yours was a phyllite instead?? LL thank you for the information! Very helpful to know El Dorado has it too!

• PRO
    Casa Bella Designs

Just double-checked to make sure. This is the sample I have, and Darbuka is right - the company is Dorado not El Dorado.

• PRO
    Morningstar Stone & Tile

PA Soapstone is real soapstone. When we carry it we get it from Brazil. Sometimes PA Soapstone will be called Black Soapstone. But it is the real deal. Good luck and have fun

• Jennifer Johnson

Does anyone know about Virginia Black? Is it real soapstone? Is all the soapstone from Brazil real?

• darbuka

@Jennifer Johnson...most soapstone comes from Brazil. The second major producer, is India. Very little is mined in the US. Virginia black, often called Virginia Mist, is granite that is usually honed to give the appearance of soapstone, but never attains that true velvety matte appearance.

• Jennifer Johnson

Good to know...the place we are supposed to go choose our countertops has some slabs that are called Virginia Black so I was wondering. Here’s a picture of the tag on it...

• Jennifer Johnson

And here’s another different slab they have that has a Brazil sticker on the front...I really like the looks of this and am leaning in that direction. Does anyone have major negatives that I should know about?

• darbuka

Hmmm...perhaps I shouldn’t be so hasty. that could be soapstone. Just like with granite, stone yards often give different names to the same stone. However, this won’t happen if you purchase your soapstone from an actual soapstone dealer/fabricator, (like M. Teixeira), and not a stone yard that mostly sells granite, marble and quartzite.

At the stone yard you can test that slab for hardness. If you can scratch the surface with your fingernail, it will be a very soft soapstone, and I would pass it by. There are hard varieties of soapstone that will not scratch, unless scraped hard with a cast iron pan. I have such a variety, Belvedere. It’s pretty much bullet proof.

Will the stone yard give you a sample to take home, for testing? That would be the best way to tell if it’s soapstone. Soapstone is impervious to everything...won’t etch or stain. It never needs sealing. So, if you can bring a sample home, test it with wine, ketchup, mustard, or anything you might typically use in food prep. Leave it on for an hour, and see if there’s any staining. That will tell you if you have the real deal.

• darbuka

Wow, that last slab you posted is gorgeous! It resembles my Belvedere...with its green inclusions. Test it for hardness. If it passes the hardness test, it‘s a winner! Looks like it’s the last slab of it in the warehouse, so act fast.

Here’s my Belvedere.

• Jennifer Johnson

That’s beautiful! Thanks so much for the info! I’ll have to see if I can get a sample. I’m sure that one piece won’t be there when I go to pick out. We are still in house planning mode so who knows when I’ll actually get to go pick mine! 🤷‍♀️ Does the M. Texeira place ship to Texas? 😬

• darbuka
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

@Jennifer Johnson, Teixeira ships all over the country...and even outside the US. Several years ago, they shipped to a poster who lived on St. John...in the Caribbean! The slabs went from their New Jersey location to Miami, and then by boat to St. John.

M. Teixeira has three major locations...NY/NJ, San Francisco, and Boynton Beach, FL. They also have sister locations in Anaheim, Boston, Virginia, and Denver. Give them a call, and see what they suggest. The staff is friendly, patient, and a pleasure to work with. You can request a sample pack, which they will send for a small fee. Make sure it includes Belvedere.

Btw, you can pretty much ignore the slab pics on their site. They don’t do the stones justice! Also, if you want green inclusions in your slab, tell them. We looked through quite a few Belvedere slabs, before we found one with the inclusions we wanted. M.Teixeira

• PRO
    Morningstar Stone & Tile

@Jennifer Johnson Virginia Black soapstone is most likely from Brazil. The only working soapstone quarry is in Virginia right now and would be labeled as USA or Churchhill Soapstone. We buy a great deal of soapstone from both Brazil and Virginia and our clients are pleased with the end result. I agree that Teixeira ships nationwide. Just keep an eye on shipping costs as it can be expensive. Best of luck and have fund

• Jennifer Johnson

Hey all! Wondering what kinds of sinks you all have with your soapstone countertops? Soapstone sinks or cast iron or granite or something else?

• micheleliveshere
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

I have PA soapstone in my kitchen and I LOVE it madly and passionately. I have a Kohler Whitehaven sink and also love, love, love, love.

• CAT R

I have a blanco black granite composit sink. I bought the larger single bowl, and like having one bowl more than I thought I would

• chinacatpeekin

I too have a Blanco silgranit single bowl sink in cinder, and love it.

• julieste

I have a Kohler white cast iron Iron/Tones low divide and like the contrast of the black and white. There is a Kohler neoroc Cairn that I was very interested in but I was afraid to get a light colored composite sink due to all I read about staining. I was worried about getting the black hole effect if I went with a dark sink color.

• cevamal
    в прошлом году

@darbuka can you tell me more about the M. Teixeira sister site in VA? I checked their web page but it only lists the main locations.

• darbuka
    в прошлом году

@cevamal, hmmm, just checked the M.Teixeira site, and I guess their partner locations have changed. Now it lists Anaheim, Denver, Huntington Station (Long Island), and Ontario, Canada as their partner locations.

I suggest you give Teixeira a call. They will probably have some place in the greater DC area to recommend to you. Also, keep in mind…Teixeira ships everywhere, both unfinished (for those that prefer to DIY), and fully fabricated counters. All you’d need is someone to install.

• darbuka
    в прошлом году

@Jennifer Johnson, just saw your question about sinks. Our main sink is a 30” Franke under mount stainless steel. Single bowl, of course.

• cevamal
    в прошлом году

@darbuka thanks. I sent them a message and if I don't hear back I'll call Tuesday.

I'm in southwestern virginia so the DC area isn't particularly close. I've reached out to @carolinasoapstone as well.

Sponsored