Houzz Logo Print
webuser_238028

Island Pendants for an 8' Kitchen Ceiling and 12' island?

Monica Merino Garrido
Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

We have a very large 12' kitchen island but short 8' ceilings. All cabinets are white, light grey White oak floors and white/grey countertops for a transitional look. How many, what size and style (wide, glass, chrome) pendants should we consider?

Комментарии: 19

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

WHAT SURFACE will cover 12 feet of island with no seam? None. Unless you found a granite....and I doubt it.

Three pendants at about 15 inch diameter, or two at about 24 diameter., left and right of sink.

The problem? Height. Keep them shallow, pay CLOSE attention to the mounting, and you will have far more flexibility with chain, than with a stem.

You need 33 inches and no less, from the bottom of the fixture, to the top of the counter.

That means, the TOTAL height of the fixture, inclusive of chain, mounting, and all, can not exceed 27 inches. ( 96 minus 33, minus 36 )

First? Go back and answer that counter top surface/seam question : ) Three of something like this can work..........note THE SPECS.

• Fixture Height: 17-1/2"
    • Minimum Height: 20"
    • Maximum Hanging Height: 64"
    • Width: 18"
    • Depth: 18"
    • Product Weight: 9.5 lbs
    • Chain Length: 12"
    • Wire Length: 72"
    • Canopy Height: 3/4"
    • Canopy Width: 5"
    • Canopy Depth: 5"

https://www.lightingdirect.com/bellevue-ca9d336a-single-light-18-wide-pendant/p3821893?source=gg-gbav2_3821893

• Janelle

I had this same setup in my last kitchen. I had a seam in my quartz island. No big deal. It was almost invisible. I opted for no pendants above the island. Preferred the look to be uncluttered.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

IMO the island is the main work surface and needs to have lighting that actully lights it so LED penadants the bulbs should be 4000K thesame as all the rest of the lighting and the light should shine down on the island not the ceiling. i hve no idea of your style so as far as which pendants you will need to figure that out with Jan’s very good advice. BTW a sink directly across from a range is very bad placement and that aisle nees to be 48” min. Where is the fridge? The fridge and sink need to be close and the path from them not crossing the range.

• Monica Merino Garrido
    Автор

We don’t mind the seam. Countertop will be white with a grey vein

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis

Recessed lights. And quartz with veining will have a visible and conspicuous seam. It does not bookmatched like natural stone.

• Sharon

I have a 12’ island and have 3 pendants that shine down on to the countertop. Works well and we have recessed lights too.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC

note that they used metal shades, this helps to force the light down to the surface.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Do you want lights that a bit of glam to them?

You can select a linear light to run across the island

• Monica Merino Garrido
    Автор

Yes Beverly - all of those look fabulous but the challenge is we have short ceilings...they are barely 8’. However, the kitchen opens to a 2.5story vaulted ceiling great room.

• Monica Merino Garrido
    Автор

We like the industrial look with a bit of glam!

• Monica Merino Garrido
    Автор

We were thinking we had to do glass bc we didn’t want to obstruct the view...

• Monica Merino Garrido
    Автор

Beverly - did you design all of these spaces?

• Sharon

I don’t care for glass pendants in the kitchen due to grease from cooking mixing with dust. The ones we put in are concrete and wood. I tend to do more rustic/industrial.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER

As I said...............watch the specs! The inches are the INCHES.

The shorter and wider the fixture, WITHOUT the hanging method? The better.

Make CERTAIN YOU KNOW WHAT THE SEAM WILL LOOK LIKE. At point of template. Before the cut an polish

• PRO
    JAN MOYER

Why chrome? You will find it last if you want "transitional" as it has fallen from favor.........for other finishes.

However, you can also consider TWO only, linear shallow , and open. One Left and one right of sink

Note the specs!!! especially " overall minimum hanging height" . In Chrome below. Again......note specs. A lot of light, and no obstructed view of hood, or anything else for that matter. Yes TWO and perfect sizing below

You need width.........without height in the fixture body. That's the deal with eight foot ceilings.

• Actual Size: 14.25"Hx32"Wx9.75"D
    • Backplate/Canopy Size: 14"Wx4.75"D Rectangular
    • Bulb Base: US Candelabra-E12
    • Color: Chrome
    • Downrods Included: (2) 3" (2) 6" (6) 12"
    • Material: Glass, Steel
    • Max Bulb Wattage: 60
    • Number of Lights: 5
    • Overall Height Max: 60
    • Overall Height Min: 18

• Monica Merino Garrido
    Автор

Jan - you are amazing! I love this and it seems to solve for our space.

• Monica Merino Garrido
    Автор

Would love your expert advice on the transitional style quartz countertop considering we will have a seam.

• Monica Merino Garrido
    Автор

Jan - do you know where we can purchase this pendant?

Sponsored