Houzz Logo Print
luckyjill

Sunroom and deck question.

luckyjill
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
We are in the process of adding a sunroom over an existing raised deck and new deck to the side and stairs. The builder asked us how we want to 'finish' the bottom of the sunroom.
Our house and the material of the outside of the room are both taupe colored. Deck will be grey composite and railings will be white.
The builder suggested white around the bottom (not sure what to call this space but it clearly needs to be covered as you can see where our old deck railings were attached.

I just don't want the finish part to look 'cheapy'. And I cannot find pictures of this anywhere.

Anyone know how to make this look nice?

Комментарии: 39

• luckyjill
    Автор
    Closer picture
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Are you going to use this space as a covered patio? If so paint pillars the same color of house. Then cement ground under deck and see if you can add light and a fan. Then use space for outdoor patio add a bar b que and a table and chairs. Why waste it?
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    I am not very good at explaining , I think it is a 2x12 girder.? That is left ugly and unfinished looking at the base of the sunroom..
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    The space to be covered is about 12 inches.
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    Anyone?
  • Lisa Carlisle
    If you mean the skirt board that wraps around the frame, I would install a deep color that harmonizes the siding color. If you want to cover the beam, use a tiered skirt by wrapping the beam and continue it around to the house on the same plane then wrap your frame. It really looks cool.
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    Thank you for your response. Yes. The trim around the base of the patio is what needs to be covered and by default that beam underneath will 'sort of' get covered as well. I am searching for pictures of what you are talking about . Thanks!!
  • Lisa Carlisle
    I'll send one
  • Lisa Carlisle
    My beam was visible as yours. The lower tier is pinned into blocks attached behind the frame. The upper tier is applied to frame and flush to decking. I appreciate the space between both for air movement and it's benefits.

The material is 12" vinyl skirt board, color: "koa" a nice deep chocolate for a clean crisp line.
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    Thanks Lisa! That is exactly was I was looking for. My builder was suggesting this white beadboard as the skirt , but I was concerned that would look strange, or out if place as my sunroom is taupe to match my siding.

I will show him this suggestion. Thanks so much!!
  • Lisa Carlisle
    Luckyjill if you do the same I would love to see pictures!!!
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    Here is a picture with the railings and up. Now that ugly old board that my sunroom sits on is what needs to be covered or finished.

Now my builder is suggesting siding it to match the house?
    (Instead of white vertical vinyl)
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    Here
  • PRO
    Craft-Bilt Materials Ltd.
    I would like to share this picture with you to give you idea regarding colour choice for the beam.
    Happy Renovations,
  • Lisa Carlisle
    Thanks for sharing the picture! I think siding will look fine. Does he intend to put it on the beam, or paint or..,
  • PRO
    Craft-Bilt Materials Ltd.
    In this specific project, I think they used siding (or aluminum flashing) to cover the skirt board. They used same colour as sunroom frame.
  • PRO
    Rzonca Construction-The Deck & Patio Experts
    Vinyl coated aluminum coil would look better then siding. Its available in many colors. They probably already have it in your siding color.
  • PRO
    They could even wrap the beam with this same materials.
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    Thanks for the Comments .
    Any experience with the vinyl coated aluminum siding ? Builder says it dents easily??
  • Lisa Carlisle
    I would trust the input about denting. Although at your height(s) I can imagine your risks are minimal, excluding someone laddering up against the siding.
  • Kivi
    why the heck would it get dented? Is someone going to be swinging a baseball bat up towards it? We have the exact same scenario as you, and we covered it in an aluminum wrap. It has been there for 6 years and has no dents, and is an exact match to the covered sunroom.
  • Lisa Carlisle
    By the way your project looks amazing! You are a good designer with a great eye!
  • PRO
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    I'd even wrap the outside of your deck with either a 1/2"x8" facia board by azek, clubhouse or trex, or use the vinyl coated trim coil. Would finish both the deck and sunroom off nicely. Product doesn't dent that then easily, not the vinyl coated product. Your using it on a vertical surface not a flat horizontal plane, you'll be perfectly fine using the vinyl coil.
  • PRO
    By the way it is not siding, its a flat roll of aluminum that is vinyl coated with a wood grain impregnated into it. Comes in 24"x50' rolls. Builder or installer can cut it and bend it using a brake to size.
  • PRO
    Very cost effective and installs very easily. I use it everyday on all our decks, screen rooms and shade structures. Color matched caulk and colored matched trim nails also help.
  • PRO
    Your deck builder should have covered your outside header and ribbon boards. The deck would look alot better from the backyard view. Makes it look so much more complete.
  • PRO
    Franks Home Maintenance and General Contracting
    I agree with Rzonca, we wrap with aluminum. The only other option is paint.
  • PRO
    Here's a picture of our standard deck treatment of an arial deck such as yours. We even cover the appearance side of the deck stairs, makes it much more complete and looks finished.
  • PRO
    You know what would look really nice to wrap the 6x6 cedar beams in....12" round aluminum round columns. They come in 3 pieces so they wrap around the posts easily and they look GREAT!!!
  • PRO
    Here is a link for vinyl coated aluminum coil stock from one of many manufacturers. At lease you can see some of the colors available here...... http://www.rollex.com/product_pages/trim_coil_24in_x_50ft_pvc
  • PRO
    Take a look at my deck pictures here on houzz. Every one of my decks has the outside ribbon board covered. We usually use the facia materials of the deck manufacturer to do this with because it matches the deck. However our screen rooms and shade structures use the vinyl coil product.
  • PRO
    I would also have your builder check out the left side railing down the steps. The last section the balusters are out of level. I can pick up the crookedness right away. Their leaning to far to the right on the tops of them. Maybe I shouldn't of said anything, but when your paying for a project to be built right from the get go, it should be right!
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    Thanks got the tips! Where can you purchase the 12" round aluminum columns to wrap around the cedar posts?
    That would look nice.

Will check into the stairs too, thx.
  • PRO
    What state do you live in?
  • luckyjill
    Автор
    Indiana
  • PRO
    Look here and call the number.....This is where we buy them from. Hope it helps. Dave
    http://www.superioraluminum.com/contact/sales-representatives.php
  • PRO
    There really easy to install. The quads snap together using a rubber mallet. This way as you assemble them, your wrap them right around the 6x6 cedar post.
  • PRO
    Do you have any completion photos you can share with us on how your new deck and patio room came out?