Houzz Logo Print
webuser_458847337

90’s Lake House Master Suite Updating Minus the Gold Fixtures

Jimy
Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Buying a home with a large two level master suite to include two large walk-in closets, loft sitting/office area, bath with jetted tub with green tile and gold fixtures, private deck with great morning sun that has faded the carpet.

Thinking of replacing the carpet but how do I deal with the odd sized windows to block the morning sun? Hardwoods, vinyl floor or carpet.

Do I paint the green bath tile and replace gold fixtures or rip out and start over?

What about the loft space???? The main bedroom also has enough room for a sitting area.

Then do I keep the custom book shelves?

Do I replace the track lighting? Drop down lights could be blow around by the large ceiling fan.

Lots to think about. Should I redesign before moving in or wait until after I live in the house a while.

Комментарии: 21

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

The bedroom is a nice space the bathroom not so much I think wood floors in the bedroom would be a huge improvement and using solar shades will do the trick for heat and UV control and the nice thing is they allow you to keep the view . The bathroom on the other hand needs a gut job . I do not see custom bookshelves so can't comment on that if you mean the white ones next to the dresser get rid of them and the ones along the stair railing too. I find the bedroom seems to be filled with a bunch of odd ball pieces that really should be removed . I would take away everything except the bed , night tables and dresser and then see what you really want to have in that space and how it will be used.The bathroom could be awesome if done to go with the bed you have.

• Jimy
    Автор

Thanks for the comments. The furniture is actually the current hone owners. So will look different once move in our furniture. Can you buy UV shades for the half moon windows?

• Jimy
    Автор

And yes the bookshelves are under the TV. Which is a built in with an elective heater... :)

• User
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

I'm not usually one for painting over wood, but the oak(?) doors and trim add to the 90s look here. maybe consider painting them white.

for the tub: if you use it a lot, painted tile might chip and look bad. if you rarely take baths, then painting could be a good stop gap. but first: tackle the vanity area. it would be really easy to update the hardware, faucet, and lighing. do those changes and maybe you could live with the rest until you can do a proper reno.

one other DIY idea: the shiny brass fixtures on the tub could be made matte by brushing them with a scotch brite pad. a matte finish would slightly update the look. I only suggest this if you do plan on eventually replacing them though, as this is not the most professional solution. if you did this, I suggest practicing on some other metal thing first. move the pad in one direction only -- don't do little circles.

• Jimy
    Автор

Thanks and a great tip about the scotch bright pad. And here is a picture of the shower I forgot to add. Also need to redo.

• User

whoa! gonna be honest, I love that shower (except for the gross floor). it's so weird in a good way. it looks like 60's mod.

• Jimy
    Автор

Interesting. What to do with all of the gold fixtures???? Keep some or eliminate all of them?

• rmsaustin

The first thing to think about is getting rid of the ladder access to the loft area -- an accident waiting to happen (been there, done that). After you figure out where stairs should go, then you can work on the other stuff. Is that a lake outside? Nice.

• Jimy
    Автор

Thanks thinking of make a spiral staircase from inside of one of the two large closets. And yes it’s a lake outside. Closets are in the left and right side of the bedroom entrance.

• PRO
    D O M | Architecture interior

Think of a new staircase to the attic. For example, like this.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/700-palms-residence-industrial-living-room-phvw-vp~975541

• laurafhallen

If you have the budget, I would want to redo the bathroom. The track lights are fine for what they are. I say rip out the built in bookcases and electric heater. It's a very cool space, though.

• pricklypearcactus

Replace the carpet with hardwood now and solve your window treatment situation. (Sorry no suggestions from me on how to handle the half-circle window, but I'm sure there are options.)

Make a plan for the bathroom including a realistic budget. No harm in living with it for a while if you want or if you need the time to make a plan. If it were my bathroom and I had the funds, I would re-think the whole floor plan and completely remodel the bathroom with new tile, new fixtures, new cabinetry, the works.

• Jimy
    Автор

Thanks for the suggestions and yes looking at replacing carpet first and solving morning sun issues.

• Jimy
    Автор

Yes have thought about taking out the bookcase but as I have not had a winter in the home might wait on removing the heater just yet.

• User

for the windows, I'd consider just getting the arches drywalled over if you can afford it (if you think you get enough natural light with them currently covered up). the problem is that due to the ceiling angles, you can't put a curtain rod above the arches. and those "fan" shaped blinds are so dated. unfortunately this is kind of an expensive solution.

regarding your question about the gold fixtures in the bathroom. originally I suggested updating the vanity for now, but that's before I saw the shower. I'd reno that whole room if I could. but if you really can only do some temp fixes for now: I stand by my suggestions from above (small fixes to improve the vanity area). in addition: take that shower door off, patch the holes in the acrylic surround, and install a nice shower curtain. it'll be an instant update, and hide what's going on in the shower.

as for all the brass: there are many designers here who think mixed metals are fine. if you updated the vanity area, I think it would work fine.

• Jimy
    Автор

Yes the bathroom will take some time but agree with the shower curtain and vanity upgrade now. What do you think about the attached curtain idea for the half moon windows. Would need to be a darker curtain to block the light.

• User

I was also going to add: don't spend too much on temporary fixes for the bath if it really is going to be temporary. some things can be reused after the reno-- light fixture, drawer handles, faucet. when it's time to pick a new vanity, just make sure it's compatible with what you already bought.

• User

look at the angles of your ceiling. you will just barely fit a curtain rod above the arches. I just don't think it'll look good. give me a minute, I can mock up what I'm thinking.

• User

you want your curtain rods to be a little wider than your windows, and several inches above the frame. in the master bedroom, you want curtains that are just as tall to go over the window to the left. the black lines below are mockups of where the curtain rod should go. your ceilings prevent this from being possible.

hold on, I'll do a mockup of what could be possible instead.

• User

you could do something like this and keep whatever is currently filling in the arches. it's nice that the drapes cover up the fact that the square frame is wider than the arched frame. I'd still suggest painting that frame.

for your master, you could do something similar with a rod that spans across both the door and window (with four curtain panels on it). or get new sliding doors that have accordion blinds between the glass panes.

Sponsored