Houzz Logo Print
mary_hyland99

Patio ideas please

Mary Mary
Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Has anyone ever used cement gravel boards to make a patio. Pros and cons if poss I have made a pattern of what I have in mind and I think gravel boards might look good ??? plus so much cheaper

Комментарии: 18

• Ellie

I think if you were to put a chair with legs on that it would be really uneven so it wouldn't suit what I would like in a patio. Also all the gravel would be constantly roll ontop of the boards, which would annoy me. If it was as a feature that nobody would have to walk on then it could work otherwise I don't think much of it.

• Mary Mary
    Автор

Oh that’s a shame I still like the idea, we are going for a prairie style garden so the surrounding area will be filled with plants spilling over and gravel everywhere in between . We are on a slope so we are creating a lower terrace which will be slightly more formal. I will keep you posted but it will be a long slog 👍

• User

Could you fill the gaps with resin and stones? That would look lovely and stop all the stones spilling out. I have stone and slabs on my patio area and it's awful. So messy... but looks lovely everytime I tidy it up!!

• Mary Mary
    Автор

I wonder if we could plant something very low growing in between that doesn’t mind being trod on

• User

You can grow moss in there. Look at the Marshall's website. It tells you how to do it on there.

• Mary Mary
    Автор

Many thanks Gerty will take a look.

• Sonia

Camomile can be planted in between (the non flowering one) and creeping thyme. Here’s some more

• Mary Mary
    Автор

Many thanks Sonia so much choice and much nicer than gravel.

• pmasmith3

Mary Mary I think your idea sounds lovely, especially with the views you have.

I've seen concrete gravel boards used on a gardening programme, maybe Charlie Dimmock. It looked very contemporary and smart.

I've been saving these two photos as inspiration for part of my new garden, in particular the narrow space with staggered paving and lots of planting which I'm going to do on one side of the house which is a bit of a sun trap. I'm going to use lots of Rosemary, Lavender and Bronze Fennel.

Good luck, sounds exciting.

• Mary Mary
    Автор

Hi pmasmith3 love your pics that exactly how I see the use of gravel boards we live next to a farm which is industrial and think the look we are hoping for will blend in with our surrounding area. The garden before was very cottage garden and although lovely it just jarred with the fields and working farm. Thanks for your inspiration .

• Mary Mary
    Автор

pmasmith here are some more of the pics I have saved.Plus our neighbours.

• PRO
    Arthur Road Landscapes

I don't know of any that are made of cement. They are usually natural stone or porcelain. if you are using long ones you'll need to check that they are not bowed.

• E D
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

You got me really curious when you said you’d post photos of your neighbours, Mary.

Well, I must admit, they look lovely!

🐄🐄

😂

• Mary Mary
    Автор

Hi ED they are beautiful here is pic of them watching my hubby in the garden

• Sonia

Hi Mary, I saw these stone/concrete railway sleepers used as a path in a Houzz story and wondered if they may be of interest? Not sure of the cost though.

West Norwood Family Garden · Еще

• rachelmidlands

Hi Mary. I think it’s a great idea to use gravel boards. With them being concrete they might need sealing?......not sure on that so maybe worth looking up. Personally I would keep the gaps in between to a minimum and use a resin or mortar grout/jointing or as mentioned setting the gravel in cement/resin stuff. Trust me getting weeds out of small gaps filled with gravel is no easy task. But if you leave fairly big gaps then groundcover plants sounds like a fab idea.

You’re doing a grand job of your garden, looks like a mammoth task. I’m going really slowly taking my old paving up mainly because I’m re using stuff what I already have (messy progress so far in pic, excuse dog, he was giving me a shifty look🤔.) I’m leaving the centre circle hence my warning on the gaps. Took me at least two hours to rake out, de-gravel and weed. Cement is going in next!

Love your neighbours! 🐄 I grew up next to a field with cows and used to feed them the grass off the verge, their tongues are huge! 😂.

• Mary Mary
    Автор

Many thanks Rachelmidlands for your encouragement, much appreciated.
    I like your idea about the resin will have a think about it. We started our garden just before lockdown and finally got a skip last week to clear all the rubble and excess soil away. We have dug out the soil at the bottom to make a terrace as we are on quite a slope,I’ve added a few pics to show our very slow progress. Must say the cows seem to like watching us working one in particular watches everything we do.