Houzz Logo Print
vcmcdougall

What to plant in front garden and retaining wall

Charlotte McDougall
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

We have a very small front garden at road height on top of a wall which the kitchen (lower ground floor) looks out onto. We are planning on taking up the remaining concrete and stones which are all broken up and would like to make this area more attractive and make the wall that the kitchen looks out onto more interesting. The house is south facing so the front garden gets sun all day whilst the wall doesn’t get any light. We don’t want whatever is in the front garden to block out the light into the kitchen.

I’d love to hear your suggestions.

Комментарии: 13

• Jules Mc

There are others great with gardening / plant advice BTW. You ladies always 'Spring' to mind quickly as key workers for garden dilemmas!! See what I did there?? I really need to get out.... Oh wait.....

• E D

I can’t really make it out from the photo but it looks like your neighbours don‘t seem to have the extra retaining wall that you have.

Would this be feasible for your property?

• Charlotte McDougall
    Автор

They do, though they don’t have a bay window so have more space. Also we’re in a conservation area so it’s difficult to change anything structural.

• E D

Our property has a similar lower ground part (including bay window) to yours and is also in a conservation area.

I wanted to change an exterior door in the lower ground area and because it (virtually) isn’t visible from street level, our local Planning officer told us (in writing) we could do this without the need for planning permission.

So although your extra wall is probably there for a reason, it might be worth investigating if it can be taken down or changed.

It would provide you with more space and light.

• rachelmidlands

First thing that springs to mind is sedums, they’ll probably love the hot dry conditions. I’ll look up some ideas tomorrow.

• rachelmidlands

When I say sedums I thinking more of the general term of succulents which is what sedums (stone crop) are. There are many succulents that will survive UK temperatures but most will like it sunny with plenty of stones and grit in the soil, which is why I thought they’d be perfect for your situation. Here’s a little more info: https://www.perrywood.co.uk/gardening-tips/succulents/

I‘ve had great success with sedum forsterianum Oracle (see first pic), love the colour this time of year. I also like to mix them with alpine plants (I find thrift and saxifrage quite reliable) and some Mediterranean plants like the trailing rosemary which like similar conditions. I think you have the potential to be really creative as well (google succulent garden), perhaps using the flowerpot on it’s side and have plants spilling out. If you do go down this route, do some research first as not all succulents are geared for our winter temperatures and the popular sedum ‘autumn joy’ can grow fairly big. Here‘s some inspiration:

• Sonia

I’m a bit of a cottage garden fan, but I think something formal would look more in keeping with the style of your property. If it were mine I would plant something a bit taller in the middle, such as box, and then surround it with low growing plants that will scrabble over the edge. Sedums are wonderful plants and there are many varieties that are low growing and spreading. I love Rachel’s examples. Once you have removed the rubble, dig in a little compost but not too much as sedums do prefer a poor soil. Whatever you plant, make sure you water them well on dry days to help them settle in.

However, if you want something less formal then some lavender in the middle surrounded by smaller alpine plants like campanula, Aubretia, Erigeron and hardy Geraniums would look great. You could even put a bird bath in the middle to add a bit of drama but it would need to be heavy or else it may go walkabout!

• Sonia

@Jules Mc you did make me chuckle 😂😂😂

• Jules Mc

Ha ha, I really wasn't joking Sonia!! Hope you're keeping well x

• Sonia

Hope you are too Jules x

• PRO
    User

It will be nice to have some structure which will last throughout the year. Agave blue glow looks fab, needs full sun and is tolerant of temperatures to minus 6. Plant 3 or 4 in a row. Interplant these for summer interest with Kangaroo paw (this plant should be treated as an annual), alternatively you can use Crocosmia lucifer for some fiery spikes in between the Agave. Dichondra silver falls will look good spilling over the edges & trailing into the lightwell. Don't forget spring colour with some fiery tulip colours like Tulipa ballerina (tall & elegant with orange petals).

• PRO
    Arthur Road Landscapes

if this were my front garden I'd plant a row of Calamagrostis X acutiflora Karl Forester along the railings and a row of Hakonechloa macra along the top of the wall facing the window.