Houzz Logo Print
john_walsh67

Help to choose trees/shrubs/plants for 2 beds at front of house

John Walsh
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hi

We finished the build of our new contemporary house last summer and all that remains to be done is the planting of the 2 beds at the front of the house. I have no gardening experience and would really appreciate some suggestions on what I should do with the 2 beds including but not limited to;

• Planting (Trees/Shrubs/Plants - we're in Northern Ireland)?
  • Ground cover
  • Lighting

The bed to the right is in front of the front door which has 2 full height clear windows either side so we would like something that will provide a little bit of privacy from passersby (there won't be many). The current weed cover and beach stones around the edge are temporary, to keep weeds at bay until we decide what to do.

The bed to the left is purely there to break up the expanse of tarmac.

It's a blank canvas which I'm hoping to fill before the growing season begins.

Thanks

John

Комментарии: 9

• Carolina

Does it get much sun? Which way is it facing?

• John Walsh
    Автор

Sorry I should have said that the front of the house is North facing so gets very little sun during the winter and gets morning and evening sun during the summer.

• Daisy England

I’m not a gardener either but I do like to see and appreciate a nice garden.

At the top of my garden in a long trough I have coloured heathers and they look lovely and add colour to the area all year round. I think these would also look good where you want them especially bearing in mind that your property is more mono based.

John Walsh поблагодарил(а): Daisy England
  • PRO
    Arthur Road Landscapes

Hello John
    It looks like a very smart house that you've obviously put a lot of thought and care into. The outside space deserves the same treatment, if not more, so I would consult a professional garden designer and get a really good result. You can find one in your area quite easily here on Houzz.
    Jane

John Walsh поблагодарил(а): Arthur Road Landscapes
  • Sam Potter

I agree with Jane. The right design will transform the look of your house. I got a plan only for the beds in my back yard, from landscapers, and planted it myself.

John Walsh поблагодарил(а): Sam Potter
  • rachelmidlands

Your house is looking fab! I also think you’d benefit from a garden designer to give you fresh ideas and a planting plan appropriate for the soil and position. A local garden nursery may also be able to help with plants suited to your area. As for styles and design then browse through photos on Houzz, google, Instagram etc. and note down what you like about them. I think this will guide you to which style you prefer. Here’s a few ideas of various styles to start off with:

John Walsh поблагодарил(а): rachelmidlands
  • John Walsh
    Автор

Thank you all for the sound advice.

I'll try to find a Local garden designer and will post the results in a few months time.

• Marylee H

Hi. To create a sense of texture and a feeling of height, why not include a dwarf Japanese Acer in front of something taller. Many have interest all through the season, with changing leaf foliage. Also something to consider whilst look for a landscape designer to help, is whether you want a restricted colour palette or not? Such as greys/greens/whites/purple or a wider variety of colour. Love to see it when all finished. Also if you are on Instagram it might be worth following the guys on ‘My Tiny Estate’ as they plant up different areas of their own property. They are learning all the time too. 🌿

John Walsh поблагодарил(а): Marylee H