Houzz Logo Print
amberly2100

My exterior colors are a circus

amberly2100
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Help me pick a new color scheme! Right now I feel like it's a circus. There is so much going on that I just don't even know what is good and bad anymore. Here are a few things I do know:

• I would like to do something a little more colorful or interesting than the ever popular grey and white. It's my fall back plan but I'm in WA where skies are grey A LOT, so it's not my first choice.
  • Windows are white so I don't want a cream trim right up against them like it is now.
  • We are surrounded by large evergreens and sunlight is at a premium so I don't want to go super dark, but white would be hard to keep clean.
  • Door will be replaced, so it could be any color
  • No neighbors are in view so there is no worry about blending with a neighborhood.

Right now my inclination is toward a greeny/blue/grey color like Johanna Gaines Rainy Days or SW Moody Blue with white trim. But I am totally open to other ideas. And what about those dark wood gables? Do I paint them too?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and think about this! I am very grateful.

Комментарии: 18

• cat_ky

I dont hate it either. It is kind of cute, and I also agree on the big bright garage door. Even if it were cream like the trim, it would be much better.

amberly2100 поблагодарил(а): cat_ky
  • amberly2100
    Автор

Yes, I actually really liked the colors when we moved in. But, we got the new garage door and now it needs a new paint job and we are doing an addition so it's the opportunity to change things up. I'm kind of tired of the green. Garage definitely needs to blend better and the front door is orangy oak, which always bothered me a little with the dark wood gables.

• partim

Will the dark brown shingles on the gables be painted or is that a stain that will be staying dark brown? Is the roof dark gray?

Your house has some craftsman elements - the multiple gables and the tapered front porch columns, the double-hung windows on the main floor. Maybe look at some typical craftsman exterior color schemes and see if any of them attract you.

• Donald

Navy with cream trim, bright yellow or red door?

• Linda

Following

• decoenthusiaste

Your home reminds me of this one.

Decatur Craftsman · Еще

To brighten dreary days, a green that fits into the wooded background might be nice. Unify the color and it won't feel so chopped up.

Oakland Park Lot 56, Winter Garden, FL, 34787 · Еще

Arlington Sears Craftsman · Еще

amberly2100 поблагодарил(а): decoenthusiaste
  • arcy_gw

This seems to be the on trend look. The assortment of colors on apartment buildings going up is varied and unique. Perhaps you need to just embrace and be trendy.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

I think you need to come back with a drawing of the existing and the addition before deciding on a color scheme.I actually love sage green for homes along with natural cedar. Maybe a bit softer gray / green then gables and garage door in the natural cedar. I like the way the front door color now works and adding some wider trim to the windows too.

amberly2100 поблагодарил(а): Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Kate E

What about a buttery yellow color with white trim? Maybe keep the light green as well and still have two colors but brighter? I really like that shade of green that’s already there. I also like the idea of navy with a bright yellow front door!

Someone with good photoshop skills can help narrow down some color schemes! (That’s not me unfortunately!)

amberly2100 поблагодарил(а): Kate E
  • amberly2100
    Автор

Thank you everyone! I am trying to open my mind to keeping it green, but maybe updating a bit, but I am a little tired of the green. I do like the suggestions from decoenthusiaste . Here is how the addition will affect the front of the house. We are adding a fourth bedroom by removing cathedral ceilings in front hall and office and raising that roof line..

• apple_pie_order

Do you want it to be cheerful and attention-getting? Or quietly blend with dark woodsy surroundings?

Writers' cottage · Еще

Cooper Woods 2 Story · Еще

amberly2100 поблагодарил(а): apple_pie_order
  • amberly2100
    Автор

Quietly blend without being drab. I like #2

• WestCoast Hopeful

Just choose the green or blue and embrace it. I don’t like both together.

• PRO
    Most Valuable Painters

Cape cod gray is always a good classic choice. Wedge wood blue also looks sharp with white trim. I’d paint the dark areas with the same siding color to match so they don’t stick out like a sore thumb.

• graywings123

I would paint the garage door to match the cream trim color, but other than that, I wouldn't change anything.

• amberly2100
    Автор

A S These colors are actually all green.

Here is a much better lit photo from when we bought it 5 years ago. I just found this. The front has faded to look more blue over the years because it is South facing. The back of the house is still a dark green.

• WestCoast Hopeful

If it is more than one colour of green it’s still the problem in my opinion. Choose one colour.

Sponsored