Houzz Logo Print
hannah_richter7932200

1903 colonial master bedroom help!

Hannah Richter
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

We moved into our 1903, three story colonial this past September, and I have painted every single room in this house except for our master bedroom (and the finished third floor which is going to have to wait! :) )

I am now ready to give our master bedroom the attention it deserves, but have NO idea what I want to do to it! For every other room I have had the exact picture of what I wanted it to look like, but I have no clue with this one. It is really unique, has four large, five foot tall windows, and gets amazing natural light during the day. It is currently a sage green color that I don't mind, but it isn't my style. The rest of our house is either SW Snowbound, SW Pewter Green, and our bathrooms are BM Salamander. So I'm a very bright and/or fresh style.

A couple notes, this bed is staying, it's new for this house, but our furniture will all be replaced over the next year or so.

I am leaning toward painting it snowbound and replacing the rug below the bed. What ideas do you have? I'm up for ANY ideas to make this space beautiful - I'm not afraid of an accent wall either. Any help is appreciated!

One other important note, the wall to the right of the bed in the next couple years will have two doors on it, one to a second story porch (which can only be accessed through a door in the bathroom), and one to the bathroom, on the second floor so the dresser will ultimately be where that bookshelf is right now (which is only there because it has no home!)

(ALSO - I did not hang those curtain rods, they were here already or else mine would have been above the window frame. These are all plaster walls so it felt safer to just use the existing rods.)

Комментарии: 35

• deegw
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Can you share some inspiration photos or photos from the finished rooms so we can get a better idea of your style?

If you're stuck, one hint is to find just one thing that you love for the room. Bedding, a painting, a decor item. Then build the room based on the colors and style of your inspiration piece.

• Hannah Richter
    Автор

Here are a few!

• Hannah Richter
    Автор

Thanks so much for your help!

• PRO
    Most Valuable Painters

You can get some great ideas from the Sherwin Williams Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/SherwinWilliamsforYourHome/

I’ll tell you that grey is all the rage right now in case you haven’t heard.

• CC

You have a beautiful house! Your bedroom reminds me of this bedroom, maybe you could go dark and dramatic. I love this bedroom https://www.houzz.com/magazine/an-english-bedroom-gets-a-dark-and-dramatic-design-stsetivw-vs~96452539

• lynartist

You have a very lovely home! I can see your dilemma here in this bedroom if you will be adding an additional two doors! I think the current color is rather pleasant but feel it is a shame to block those beautiful windows with the bed. I don’t think you have much choice though and when you add the other doors you will have almost no wall space in this room! For that reason I would keep the wall color very light if not the same as the trim as it will look very chipped up. A room of windows and doors!

• lynartist

I might suggest also to do floor to ceiling semi-shears along this back wall to unify the three windows and soften the look. It will give a nice backdrop for the bed.

• lynartist

I meant chopped up btw;)!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

I would pump up bedding and rug. Especially since you have no wall space. I would amp up lighting too. Possibly paint night stands coordinating color to bedding. This is floral without being too girly and would work with black bedding. Possibly bring some black in with slightly larger rug.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

Start with bedding. You definitely need a skirt to hide whatever the white boxes are under bed. Take color from bedding.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

Here is “concept”. I don’t have time right now to refine this but I could see this look working with your home style yet punching up with darker bedding.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

Added bench. We could have some fun with this look.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

Added some Audubon bird prints. Of course, we would color coordinate choices of elements once main bedding is selected.

• Hannah Richter
    Автор

Love all of these ideas!! We moved the rug from our living room last night (just replaced that one downstairs) so this rug will be staying in here from now on, which, unfortunately clashes with our duvet cover, which I actually picked out for this bed! And I LOVE having the bed in front of the windows bc it’s dreamy with open windows 🥰 we also swapped the dresser and bookshelf back.

I wonder since this rug will be staying if we did a light to medium gray color on the walls? And then get a solid duvet cover to go better with the rug?

A bit about me, I’m a minimalist in look and my main decorative “style” is plants 😬 so I really like white/gray/black/green, crisp and clean feeling! I’ll post a couple inspirational pics from my Pinterest not necessarily for this room but so you can get an idea of my style!

I’m so thankful for all of your advice!!

• Hannah Richter
    Автор

Side question, we have an oversized goose down king duvet, but can’t find oversized covers anywhere! Any advice?

• lynartist

I used to get my Super King duvet covers from a company called Down Town. They are oversized so should fit. Limited selection but I don’t like a lot of color in bedding anyway!

• lynartist

Wonderful quality though

• lynartist

Eastern accents has super king but its$$$. Lots to choose from though if you order through the trade. Otherwise go to Horchow home.

• PRO
    Design Interior South

I think I would go ahead and carry the light paint into the bedroom. If I am understanding correctly the wall with the current dresser on it is going to eventually have two doors on it one to a porch and the other to an ensuite? So the Current position of the bed is the only area it will fit?

I would think about getting round bedside tables. They will fit better with their curve in against the angle of the windows.

Have you tried the Company store for oversized covers? I would keep it clean and simple and do a white duvet and then fold a quilt at the foot of the bed in a dark green color. Bring in shams to layer in that color as well and then add some accent with some decorative pillows. Have you considered shutters for the windows?

I would bring in your pattern with a traditional rug.

• lynartist

Do you even like green?

• Hannah Richter
    Автор

I do! Our living room is SW Pewter Green, and our bathrooms and laundry room are BM Salamander :) Which was unusual for me as I had planned to paint the entire house SW Snowbound!

• lynartist

Those are very dark greens.

• Hannah Richter
    Автор

They are!

• Hannah Richter
    Автор

Living room (right now)

• shwshw

following...

• Hannah Richter
    Автор

Bathroom green! I couldn’t have done this one this color if we didn’t have 60% of the wall this bead board (this was here when we moved it - it was an olive green color)

• reitz02

Flo Mangan I love the first cream and green floral bedding! Could you please tell me brand and name of pattern. Thank you!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

I found it on Pinterest. After further searching, found it on Amazon but currently not in stock. Sorry.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

Here is screen shot.

• Cheryl Hannebauer

following

• Cheryl Hannebauer

following

• PRO
    Flo Mangan

Do you sew? I would make a duvet. It is just a huge pillow case. Several ways to secure at opening.

• PRO
    Design Interior South

I suggested the dark green based off the paint colors you said you have. The plum Flo is showing as well as Lavender are beautiful with dark green. If a duvet isnt available you can use a solid cream duvet and get the floral shams and fold a dark green quilt at the bottom of the bed for a layered look that will carry the colors in your home into your bedroom. This will give you fluidity from room to room. Then mix in some pretty pillows in plum and lavender. It would look great.

I used to live in a 1900 Victorian so I know the fragility of real plaster walls. If you don't want to drill into them to hang the drapery higher I would suggest at least taking them to the top of the casing. This product might be of interest to you.

https://kwikhang.com/products/single-bracket

Sponsored