Houzz Logo Print
rlthomas623

basement finishing- design question!

rlthomas623
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

The trim/doors etc in my house are all stained wood. As we begin finishing our basement, I’m stuck trying to decide if we continue the stained wood in the basement, or can we get away with white trim. I’d love to have feedback on this!!

Комментарии: 5

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

My basement is done very different than my main floor, we decided to go sort of 50s look in the basement so different flooring , wall color and white trim . Upstairs we did the trim the same as the walls since it was nothing to accent.

• Super Lumen
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Depends on how much natural light you have down there. Our basement was 12" thick poured concrete with rebar in it. Would have been a huge project to cut out recessed windows, so we went with a lot of lighting, and white woodwork.

I think you should make it look like a nice basement first, and matching your upstairs second. Not a person alive will probably walk down into your basement and think "Well, this is a total dark cave, but hey!...at least they matched the woodwork."

• fnmroberts

https://youtu.be/KAUak7Xneh0

Agree with Super Lumon that lighting is critical. Ours has a combination of black, white and natural trim. This becomes part of using color scheme to define areas within the space.

• Design Girl

You can totally do white trim - it doesn't have to match the upstairs.

• PRO
    Most Valuable Painters

I think as long as the color separation is on different floors it can totally work.