Houzz Logo Print
rachel_lagiakos

Pendant Spacing for a 6' Kitchen Island

Rachel L
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Seeking some design advice. I'm going with three small pendant lights (no greater than 6" diameter) over my 6' island. Ceiling height 9.5'. Seating is in a L fashion with 3 stools along the width, 1 on the side. No stovetop or sink, just flat countertop. I like the look of three pendants over two so will ensure I select small ones to try and not overwhelm the space.

Lights will be dimmable to serve as both task and accent lighting as there will be both seating and food preparation taking place here. Given I'll need task lighting, I need to ensure I have ample light coverage of the entire island. Even spacing will have the lights set 18" apart, starting 18" from the edge of the island. With a 6" shade, that leaves approx 12" between each fixture. Is that uncomfortably close for people's liking?

Also, does 18" from the edge of the island sound too far for visual aesthetics and light coverage? Should I start closer to the edge of the islands, say 12-15". That would increase the distance between each fixture to about 15-18".

What will look visually better and be more functional: narrow, even spacing or wider, uneven spacing? How noticeable is this? The island is part of an open plan kitchen living room, so it will be a highly visible space. Many thanks in advance!!

Комментарии: 11

• Rachel L
    Автор

@acm I chuckled at the first sentence instead of taking offence to it! :)

That's really good advice, thank you. I can't seem to find a general rule for how close is too close when considering head space. Do you think 12" might be pushing it? That being said, the shades will all sit over head height when standing so then does that remove that potential issue?

• acm

well, when working at a counter, which is 24.5" from the wall, I am ok having cabinets overhead which are 12" from the wall, but I have taller friends who would never put them over, say, the sink. so I think 12 is really pushing it. 18 might be ok, but I'd really want to see some tiny pendants before I believed that you could justify more than two.

This is the tightest I've ever done, and it was because I wanted to balance the cabinet a bit.

Rachel L поблагодарил(а): acm
  • Rachel L
    Автор

@acm I'd classify those in your picture as small pendants and imagine I'll source something of similar size to suit my 6' island. If the overhead cabinet wasn't there, I think you could easily have a third pendant accommodated over that space. Do you recall how far apart you have these lights spaced from one another?

• PRO
    Delson or Sherman Architects pc

Hi Rachel. The wider spacing is the correct one. 24" on center and 12" from the edge of the island will give you the most even lighting.

Here's why: the illumination from each light spreads equally in all directions. So you can think of the glow as a circle centered under each light. With the above spacing, each circle kisses both the edge of the countertop and the edge of the adjacent circle. Any tighter spacing, by contrast, would give you overlapping circles and darker shadows at the edges.

The same concept applies to lighting a room. Just swap walls for countertop edges. Generally speaking, X-2X-2X-X gives you the most even illumination.

Rachel L поблагодарил(а): Delson or Sherman Architects pc
  • Rachel L
    Автор

@Delson or Sherman Architects pc that is wonderful advice and exactly the information I was seeking!! THANK YOU IMMENSELY!!!

• PRO

You're very welcome, Rachel. Glad we could help.

• Rachel L
    Автор

One last thought @Delson or Sherman Architects pc which was smartly raised earlier - as I'm planning to have a stool on the end of the island (L seating), do you envision a pendant hanging 12" from the edge to be intrusive in any way? It will be hung high enough that its above head level when standing so I can't imagine it will be a problem when seated, but these are the fine details sometimes neglected until it's too late! Thanks again

• PRO

With a 6" shade, that should be no problem at all.

Rachel L поблагодарил(а): Delson or Sherman Architects pc
  • Rachel L
    Автор

thank you, thank you, thank you!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Rachel L поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
Sponsored