Houzz Logo Print
will_gallegos

Living room layout for odd shaped room

Will Gallegos
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hello,

I am struggling to find a nice solution for arranging my living room come dining room. The room is rather odd shaped and I am not sure where to put the sofa and TV. In it's present config it feels very hallway like. I also would like to take advantage of the views out the windows when seated. What would you do? Below are a floor plan and a mockup of my current thinking... though I think everyone is sat in a line which isn't very cosy. Also would you put curtains up the windows or something else?

Комментарии: 23

• minnie101

I think the chair would work better in front of the small radiator angled towards the sofa. Do try it though as your seating looks pretty deep. You could have a cabinet built for the radiator, maybe stop it 9-12 inches from each corner and hang the tv above (just a few inches above the cabinet though, not as shown in the picture!). As the cabinet will be quite shallow it should allow for a small table/s which will lose the waiting room feel. It does depend how many need to view the tv though, as it may work better having the tv on the door wall if it fits. Given the radiator position I think Roman blinds or shutters would work better than curtains

• Will Gallegos
    Автор

Thanks for your comments... Ideally I would like everyone to see the TV if possible.... There is usually a maximum of 3 or 4 people watching. Two on the sofa and one in the chair. I like your idea with the radiator cover. Do you think something deeper could work as well as I need to house TV gubbins like DVD player etc.

• Will Gallegos
    Автор

Here is a photo of the original layout before re-decoration. Looking at it from the window side of the room.

• rinked

Your sofas do look pompous. A slimmer 3-seater could fit in with a chaise longue and an armchair. Both armchair and chaise could be pulled towards the left on movie nights.

Will Gallegos поблагодарил(а): rinked
  • Will Gallegos
    Автор

Thanks Rinq I do like the idea of this layout. I am rather tall so do favour a deeper sofa as I find them more comfortable for my height. Would you mount the TV on the wall or have it in a unit? Is the 50 x 100 item a small table?

• rinked

The 50x100cm is merely to show where a coffee table could go without blocking traffic. And with your radiator being there, I'd suggest mounting the tv. Not too high, just above the radiator surround. Or even better: remove the radiator and get a double one (type 21) near the window.

• rinked

How deep are the current ones? My husband is 188cm and our sofa is 90cm deep in total, the seat is about 58cm.

• Will Gallegos
    Автор

My current ones are 105cm deep. I am 198cm tall and find most sofas aren't deep enough for me. I do agree my sofas are a little big for the room but not sure how to balance comfort vs. style.

• obobble

L shaped rooms can be so difficult. I would be tempted to do a Kirsty Allsop and knock down some walls! Sorry, not very constructive when you’ve just decorated!

Will Gallegos поблагодарил(а): obobble
  • sunita sinha

My layout is exactly same and after so many changes finally i am happy with this..

Will Gallegos поблагодарил(а): sunita sinha
  • rinked

@sunita sinha, how do you go to the dining, another doorway?

• sunita sinha

No i have kept sofa in the middle of the room facing entertainment unit just aligned to dining walls..it seperates the living and dining check below pics..

• Will Gallegos
    Автор

Yes I was wondering the same thing. I am not sure if I have enough room to do something like this. Your room looks wider than mine.

• sunita sinha
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

@ E D Yes my layout is similar, i have swapped living and dining to have solid wall for TV. I have been trying to decorate my living space since past 1 year and had few discussions on ideas here on houzz and finally i am happy with current decor. below is my Floor plan.

Will Gallegos поблагодарил(а): sunita sinha
  • Will Gallegos
    Автор

So I started laying the living room out as suggested by @rinked. Do you feel this works?

• Ellie

Are you having a TV? I can't see one and can't think of anywhere you could put it that will work with that layout.

• Will Gallegos
    Автор

@Ellie I have put the TV next to the chair I hadn't moved it back in when I took the photo.

• rinked

I like it :)

• PRO
    Feature Radiators

I think moving the radiators and going for vertical models would give you a lot more freedom with the position of the furniture. You could put them in the corners to save wall space?

Radiators in narrow spaces · Еще

Radiators in narrow spaces · Еще

Have a look at our website for some inspiration!

https://www.featureradiators.co.uk/designer-radiators/vertical-radiators.html

Will Gallegos поблагодарил(а): Feature Radiators
  • Will Gallegos
    Автор
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Those radiators do look nice but maybe a bit imposing for such a space? I acknowledge that the radiator is currently in the way. Does any one have any experience with the TV units that incorporate or are built around a radiator? Here are some additional photos of the room now that building work has finished

• Will Gallegos
    Автор

I have been playing again with the layout of the room. Thank you all so far for your great suggestions. I would love to hear your comments / feedback / ideas on this layout and decor.

• Will Gallegos
    Автор

Thank you all for your help so far! What colour do you think the bigger rug should be?

I was looking at things like this

https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/metro-rug-black-and-white-60x90-cm-prvw-vr~116921750

https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/jersey-8420-rug-stone-140x200-cm-prvw-vr~112201633

https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/copperfield-rug-60x90-cm-prvw-vr~116921735

but is it too much of the same colour for the room?